Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
lamonsas
macrumors 6502a

Apple TV always connected to the Router?

hey guys, i have an airport extreme as my router, i was watching close attention to the router's logs and i noticed that the apple tv is connected to the router 24/7, even when the apple tv is sleeping.

why is that? is it using up my overall network speed by being connected to the network all the time even though its sleeping?
lamonsas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
lostless
macrumors 6502

It stays connected so it can be ready to turn on for airplay requests. As for lowering your network speed, it won't. It does nothing but ping once in a while to announce that it's there, which uses virtually 0 bandwidth. I would not worry about it.
lostless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Exactly what lostless said. Also, it will accept push requests from Apple when there is an update, but wont actually update anything until you select for it to.

Your bandwidth takes absolutely no hit.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater