Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
this is great. I come from a union household and I really support this
So you're proud of getting twice the salary, but doing half of the job in comparison to the private market?

Last edited:

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Someone's jealous
Not really. All unions are going to die eventually, as we all can notice in the last 4 years. Eventually, most unions are so not productive and full of ego that they make their corporations to go through bankruptcy in order to get rid of their greedy asses.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
So you're proud of getting twice the salary, but doing half of the job in comparison to the private market?
proud of repeating baseless stereotypes?

----------

We just e-cycled a couple dozen old mac G3 and G4 towers at work.
They all said made in the USA.
I almost wanted to hang onto one as a curio.
But hey all I gotta do is max out the spec on the iMac I wil likely order when the holidays are up!

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I'm genuinely surprised Apple isn't making more of this. I'm also rather surprised that MacRumors isn't making a bigger deal out of this. Seems like this has the potential to be a major coup verses other competitors.

Not really. All unions are going to die eventually, as we all can notice in the last 4 years. Eventually, most unions are so not productive and full of ego that they make their corporations to go through bankruptcy in order to get rid of their greedy asses.
If you truly believe it's foregone conclusion then why are you on here bellyaching about it? Looks like you came to the thread with some sort of personal agenda already in mind. Thanks but no thanks for your attempt to further divide America with your culture war nonsense.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008

Your household has its own union? Negotiations for bedtime and... "relations"... must be fascinating.

To the other 95% of the world's population this means nothing. "Assembled in the USA" still designates an import, and to over a billion people, Mac and iDevice purchases are already domestically manufactured.

Shouldn't it say "Assembled in the USA"?

It's just what happens when the "Assembled in the USA" label is manufactured in China.

Last edited:

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
To the other 95% of the world's population this means nothing. "Assembled in the USA" still designates an import, and to over a billion people, Mac and iDevice purchases are already domestically manufactured.

This means a lot. The other 95% of the world's population have their money invested in the USA. Manufacturing coming back to America would only mean we would see productivity improvements and more innovation in the USA. This means growth and higher returns on their investments.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

Sorry just a quick rant, I work at a grocery store where i make 10 cents over minimum wage, I am part time, and I have paid 500 dollars to the Union this year.. I work much harder then most of my coworkers infact my mangers even tell me this. The only thing the union has done for me is take my money, and give my lazy coworkers job security... If we were not union, even if i only got minimum wage I would still make more money then paying union dues. Also I would have likely gotten promoted since so many unneeded lazy works would be fired. Not everyone who is in a union likes it.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Sorry just a quick rant, I work at a grocery store where i make 10 cents over minimum wage, I am part time, and I have paid 500 dollars to the Union this year.. I work much harder then most of my coworkers infact my mangers even tell me this. The only thing the union has done for me is take my money, and give my lazy coworkers job security... If we were not union, even if i only got minimum wage I would still make more money then paying union dues. Also I would have likely gotten promoted since so many unneeded lazy works would be fired. Not everyone who is in a union likes it.

Being in a union is much like having insurance. If you never need it it's a pain. If you need it. It's a god send.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

Jobs for people in the U.S. is always a good thing..

However does it really make that big of a difference if it was assembled by a fully automated assembly line in China or a fully automated assembly line in the U.S.?

I guess someone has to fix the robots...

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Jobs for people in the U.S. is always a good thing..

However does it really make that big of a difference if it was assembled by a fully automated assembly line in China or a fully automated assembly line in the U.S.?

I guess someone has to fix the robots...

Apple's assembly lines are far from fully automated.

abc_apple_120220_wg.jpg

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, you're right. I can't wait until we're just like China, with miserable working conditions and wages that result in widespread poverty and a lack of consumer spending leading to an eventual collapse of the domestic economy, as is now a looming threat in China. You're a genius.

----------

Unions were needed in the days of child labor and 14 hour work days in dangerous factories with no fire exits. Now? Not so much.

"Democracy was needed in the days of corrupt imperialist government and taxation without representation. Now? Not so much."

Actually, with workers' wages rapidly falling in comparison to rising salaries for top management, I would argue that a strong labor movement is needed now more than ever. Too bad there's very little support for it thanks to years of propaganda being shoved down people's throats.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012

So you're proud of being someone who doesn't fight for its working conditions and rights? If unions were more of a widespread phenomenon in the USA then you wouldn't have Walmart employee partially financed with your taxes, yep, your taxes while Walmart gets flooded with revenue thanks to that.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Yeah, you're right. I can't wait until we're just like China, with miserable working conditions and wages that result in widespread poverty and a lack of consumer spending leading to an eventual collapse of the domestic economy, as is now a looming threat in China. You're a genius.

----------

"Democracy was needed in the days of corrupt imperialist government and taxation without representation. Now? Not so much."

Actually, with workers' wages rapidly falling in comparison to rising salaries for top management, I would argue that a strong labor movement is needed now more than ever. Too bad there's very little support for it thanks to years of propaganda being shoved down people's throats.

We now have the Government the nations founders warned us about.

sleek881

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Sunshine Coast, Australia
So you're proud of being someone who doesn't fight for its working conditions and rights? If unions were more of a widespread phenomenon in the USA then you wouldn't have Walmart employee partially financed with your taxes, yep, your taxes while Walmart gets flooded with revenue thanks to that.

And this is why Apple will never manufacture in the US, unions are too much of a headache.

longhegrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012

America was founded on the concepts of freedom and liberty. America is the defender of "The Free Market".

It makes no sense to have unions in America. Let's assume your employer is not violating your human rights and civil rights (you would have sued them if they were). If you don't like your job, you have the freedom to quit, you have the freedom to move to another place to search for a better job. It's a free market. At least, it was supposed to be!!

Stop pretending that unions exist only for the benefit of the workers. There is corruption and theft inside unions just like in small governments.

longhegrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Unions were needed in the days of child labor and 14 hour work days in dangerous factories with no fire exits. Now? Not so much.

Unions were a big help in creating human rights.
Unions were a big help in creating civil rights.

Human rights and civil rights are important.

Unions demanding that employers to pay higher salaries? That is nonsense. :eek: As long as workers have the freedom and the right to move from one city to another, then it is nonsense to FORCE an employer to pay higher salaries. :mad: America is about giving people freedom, letting a free market decide.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL

----------

This is a fallacy. First of all wages are not dropping. You're being purposefully obtuse with your words. Of course something that is rising makes something that is stationary or moving upward more slowly appear as if it's lowering.

In fact, just as almost always is the case, wages are either maintaining or increasing. And honestly it doesn't matter who it is because these a private companies, and like it or not, you have a choice to work there. If you don't like that the CEO got a raise, leave. It's a free market (kind of) and a free country.

Secondly, if what you say is true, most Americans would be making minimum wage. However, less than 11% in all groups of hourly workers make minimum wage. And that rate is 5% for people with a high school diploma. (Bureau of Labor Statistics) It's not unions that keep us from having "miserable working conditions and wages," it's a free market that does so. Wages are part of the market. If people want talented workers they have to pay for it. That's why those who switch jobs more frequently tend to make higher wages. Labor is a commodity.

And also, the terrible working conditions and wages in third world countries are better than the alternative. In countries where child labor is prevalent, the alternative is often child prostitution. But no one mentions that. Either is sad, but working in a factory is quite a bit better than children having intercourse for money.

We now have the Government the nations founders warned us about.

And the people too.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
And this is why Apple will never manufacture in the US, unions are too much of a headache.

Yes, a headache to corporations such as Apple. The economic meltdown in which the US is right now its caused because there's little regulation over what corporations can do, and that includes how they treat and pay their workers without whom they couldn't even survive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.