Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:49 AM   #1
dannster
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to dannster
EE / MMS charging

Hi all,

I'm with EE and just noticed an unusable high bill! I've sent a few group text messages to around 25 people and each message has cost me 35p because it's been sent as a picture message!

Surely if I go to send a new SMS and select multiple recipients then it should count as 25 x SMS messages, and not 25 x picture messages?

One of them actually sent as an email and they charged me £23, but refunded it as a 'goodwill gesture'. I'm really confused why both happened!

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1

Can any one shed any light?

Cheers!
dannster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:54 AM   #2
macgrl
macrumors 65816

Hi,

what did ee have to say when you told them? did they offer any explaination as to what happened / why the text messages where billed in that way?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Vermillon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannster View Post
Hi all,

I'm with EE and just noticed an unusable high bill! I've sent a few group text messages to around 25 people and each message has cost me 35p because it's been sent as a picture message!

Surely if I go to send a new SMS and select multiple recipients then it should count as 25 x SMS messages, and not 25 x picture messages?

One of them actually sent as an email and they charged me £23, but refunded it as a 'goodwill gesture'. I'm really confused why both happened!

Cheers!
should have gone with three
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:08 AM   #4
dannster
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to dannster
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgrl View Post
Hi,

what did ee have to say when you told them? did they offer any explaination as to what happened / why the text messages where billed in that way?
They said it was a problem with iPhone's and I should avoid sending group SMS in future to avoid the charges
dannster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:17 AM   #5
macgrl
macrumors 65816

I have just done a quick google search and it seems that this has been an issue going back to 2009. Might well be true..still it shouldn't still be the case. Would have thought it would have been fixed.

Can you turn off mms..so that you can't send mms messages?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannster View Post
Hi all,

Cheers!
You may find that the contact you selected and the iPhone sent the email to, has the default contact in the contact as the email address.

This might have been the case on the others that it tried to send as a MMS as well.

I know a few of my contacts have had the email address as the default contact "number" instead of the number itself.
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:37 AM   #7
ieddyuki
macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a similar sort of problem but I am getting charged for mms that I have not sent. People I don't know are sending a picture message to a friend but when it is recieved it has my mobile number attached to it. EE ( orange) have admitted that this can happen and are trying to rectify it but it has been going on for atleast 4 months that I know of. It's a pain that I have to check my bill each month just to ring up and get a credit added to my account. I have an iPhone 4S running on latest ios but know that the problem is with EE. Any one else got the same issue?
Many thanks
ieddyuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:59 AM   #8
buryfan
macrumors newbie

That happened to me once, I was trying to send a pic on iMessage (free) but then the person wasn't available so it sent a pic message on SMS and charged me
buryfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone