Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member

Why should I transfer apps from iPhone to Mac?

I always download apps directly to my iphone. I use itunes to backup my settings and data to my mac.

As I could re-download any app from the app store, what advantage do I have when I transfer/sync apps from the iphone to my mac?

Thanks for your help.
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntwtfrmynwmbp View Post
I always download apps directly to my iphone. I use itunes to backup my settings and data to my mac.

As I could re-download any app from the app store, what advantage do I have when I transfer/sync apps from the iphone to my mac?

Thanks for your help.
Only real advantage I see is if the application maker is no longer on the App store, that app may no longer be available to download. I have had it happen to me.
Kashsystems is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Why not?
Its faster to sync and arrange them over with itunes than redownload them all one by one on the phone.

Last edited by Applejuiced; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:13 AM   #4
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member

Thanks for your reply guys. Both are valid points.

The trade-off for me is if these advantages are enough for the disk space the apps use on my mac (as I only have a 128GB ssd).
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Damolee
macrumors 6502

If you delete them from your PC/Mac in iTunes, does it automatically remove them from your phone?

I'm wondering the same thing, because I have an SSD in my PC also.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:06 AM   #6
s4yunkim
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damolee View Post
If you delete them from your PC/Mac in iTunes, does it automatically remove them from your phone?
If you have the setting in iTunes to "Sync Apps", then it will first ask you if you want to copy the apps from the device to the computer, and if not, proceed to sync to the state of the computer, which would be to delete all the apps off the device.

Make sure you turn off app syncing before you delete them off your computer!
s4yunkim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting