Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Good morning all! So the time has come that we recently upgraded our iPad 1st gen to the current 4th gen. We are currently selling our iPad 1st gen and were looking for tips or things we should do before we sell the iPad mostly for security reasons.

The only thing we have done so far is erase all contents and settings. I've heard reports that removing the SIM will cause issues, but we are also worried it has some information on it that we don't want there for the next owner. FYI it is an ATT model wifi + 3G 64G. Also, is there anything else we should do before we sell it?

We also checked the iTunes 11 account under manage devices and it looks like the iPad 1st gen is not longer listed. I guess this was done automatically?

TIA!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Good morning all! So the time has come that we recently upgraded our iPad 1st gen to the current 4th gen. We are currently selling our iPad 1st gen and were looking for tips or things we should do before we sell the iPad mostly for security reasons.

The only thing we have done so far is erase all contents and settings. I've heard reports that removing the SIM will cause issues, but we are also worried it has some information on it that we don't want there for the next owner. FYI it is an ATT model wifi + 3G 64G. Also, is there anything else we should do before we sell it?

We also checked the iTunes 11 account under manage devices and it looks like the iPad 1st gen is not longer listed. I guess this was done automatically?

TIA!

De- registration is not automatic unless things have changed. You need to go to the my products page to remove the device...the last one I did was my 4 S so I don't think things have changed. As far as erasing is concerned, I'm not well up on the sim enabled iPads but I use erase all content and settings on the 3 I've sold without issue, or the need to do anything else.

My products page link:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Form the link you can remove the old iPad frm your Apple registered list of devices.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Do you sell with or without SIM ? Can you transfer the contract associated with the SIM ?
Removing the SIM itself is no deal. I have an iPad 2 running without SIM; the only "disturbance" is after a power cycle the reboot check on a SIM and don't find one. One message box shows up, once ok, and the boot continue.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I've tried the My Support page from Apple but my iPhone was the only device registered. I don't think I ever registered my iPad which is probably why its not showing. So I guess I'm good there.

I figured I would leave the SIM card in there. I've read somewhere that if the cellular data is not used for more than a certain amount of months the SIM card gets burned? Well we haven't used cellular data in a year.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
De- registration is not automatic unless things have changed. You need to go to the my products page to remove the device...the last one I did was my 4 S so I don't think things have changed. As far as erasing is concerned, I'm not well up on the sim enabled iPads but I use erase all content and settings on the 3 I've sold without issue, or the need to do anything else.

My products page link:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Form the link you can remove the old iPad frm your Apple registered list of devices.

Thanks for that link. I don't recall using it before. I have a question that doesn't relate to selling, but gifting. The mini I purchased as a Christmas gift shows up on my account. The mini is still in the original box, unopened. How do I get that mini off my account and into the recipient's?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks for that link. I don't recall using it before. I have a question that doesn't relate to selling, but gifting. The mini I purchased as a Christmas gift shows up on my account. The mini is still in the original box, unopened. How do I get that mini off my account and into the recipient's?

De register it from the page in the link, then the new owner just needs to register it on the same page under their account...simple as that:)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I've tried the My Support page from Apple but my iPhone was the only device registered. I don't think I ever registered my iPad which is probably why its not showing. So I guess I'm good there.

I figured I would leave the SIM card in there. I've read somewhere that if the cellular data is not used for more than a certain amount of months the SIM card gets burned? Well we haven't used cellular data in a year.

Just make sure the SIM is deactivated and can't be reanimated after its burned ... The last known owner is responsible ...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks! I assume this can be done by going into general -> settings?

Call/inform your provider ... (AT&T, Verizon, whatever it is). It's about their records and what they share with law enforcement (in case)

I once got a SIM while in Switzerland for two weeks. After I read the fineprint and left a copy of my passport I kept the SIM even after I left Switzerland. They would be happy come after me if someone else do bad things with that SIM. Paranoid ? Maybe a bit.

Last edited:

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Call/inform your provider ... (AT&T, Verizon, whatever it is). It's about their records and what they share with law enforcement (in case)

I once got a SIM while in Switzerland for two weeks. After I read the fineprint and left a copy of my passport I kept the SIM even after I left Switzerland. They would be happy come after me if someone else do bad things with that SIM. Paranoid ? Maybe a bit.

Alright. Thanks for the tip! Will try it later tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.