Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
white4s
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
6.0.1 has ruined my phone, officially

at first all was fine but the phones just a mess now.

1. theres a crazy battery drain happening, it was fine but now it came back. 25% loss in 4.5 hours of standby overnight
2. the volume goes out as the battery gets closer to 0% and comes back randomly. the button does nothing, the screen shot of the volume symbol is blank
3. apps crash a lot more frequently

i have no warranty since i put on the blue conversion so at this point i'm just waiting for the 5s
white4s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
at first all was fine but the phones just a mess now.

1. theres a crazy battery drain happening, it was fine but now it came back. 25% loss in 4.5 hours of standby overnight
2. the volume goes out as the battery gets closer to 0% and comes back randomly. the button does nothing, the screen shot of the volume symbol is blank
3. apps crash a lot more frequently

i have no warranty since i put on the blue conversion so at this point i'm just waiting for the 5s
Do a restore in iTunes. Maybe the OTA update did not install properly.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:08 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
By chance Bluetooth active or iCloud backup via wifi with lots data or poor connection ? Frequent email polling ? This could drain you battery.
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:16 AM   #4
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Yep sounds officially ruined.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Clean restore via iTunes, DO NOT restore to backup to eliminate any issues that might be corrupting your install.
Use the tabs in iTunes to restore your content.

Drama is noted, but hardly ruined.
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart

Last edited by dhlizard; Dec 4, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
dhlizard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:12 AM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Standard troubleshooting: restore as new and try it out like that. Odds are your device isn't "ruined" but there's no telling unless you get it to a known good point for verification.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:16 AM   #7
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Do a restore in iTunes. Maybe the OTA update did not install properly.
does the restore erase any info? never did a restore on a phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
By chance Bluetooth active or iCloud backup via wifi with lots data or poor connection ? Frequent email polling ? This could drain you battery.
no bluetooth no email, icloud only for find my iphone and pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Standard troubleshooting: restore as new and try it out like that. Odds are your device isn't "ruined" but there's no telling unless you get it to a known good point for verification.
yea it just performs pretty poorly these days. i'll try it out
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
does the restore erase any info? never did a restore on a phone



no bluetooth no email, icloud only for find my iphone and pictures



yea it just performs pretty poorly these days. i'll try it out
Backup your phone first.

Click restore in iTunes after that.

After restore is completed, restore from backup.

That's all.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:58 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
What phone are you using?
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:33 PM   #10
dextr3k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
What phone are you using?
I would assume a white 4s....hehehe.....

Backup and restore phone. But I also agree, don't restore the backup, use the tabs to sync back your content. And go through your settings manually to set them up, so you know exactly what is and isn't running.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:08 AM   #11
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
this is the part that confuses me. doesn't restoring as new put the phone back to how it was out of the box?
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Julien
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
this is the part that confuses me. doesn't restoring as new put the phone back to how it was out of the box?
Yes, and just like plugging in a new iPhone, iTunes will install your "old" iPhone backup to your "new" iPhone.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:38 AM   #13
benthewraith
macrumors 68030
 
benthewraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Yes, and just like plugging in a new iPhone, iTunes will install your "old" iPhone backup to your "new" iPhone.
Actually, he was advised not to do that yet and to use the tabs in iTunes to restore his content. His contacts will sync via iCloud. The backup may be corrupt as well.
benthewraith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
Actually, he was advised not to do that yet and to use the tabs in iTunes to restore his content. His contacts will sync via iCloud. The backup may be corrupt as well.
so i can save what i need back into icoud then do the full restore?

too nervous on losing all the info/data
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:32 PM   #15
vasili0s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens,Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
so i can save what i need back into icoud then do the full restore?

too nervous on losing all the info/data
exactly. backup to icloud, restore as new. sign into icloud, toggle contacts to on. funnel all other info via itunes sync, problem solved.
vasili0s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #16
dextr3k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Sync everything you can to icloud. And then run a manual backup of the iphone just in case.

Things I can see you losing is your phone log, sms history, etc by setting up again through tabs. Your contacts, mail accounts should resync no problem.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:31 PM   #17
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextr3k View Post
Sync everything you can to icloud. And then run a manual backup of the iphone just in case.

Things I can see you losing is your phone log, sms history, etc by setting up again through tabs. Your contacts, mail accounts should resync no problem.
i think i'm just gonna leave it alone. i have 7gb of pictures/videos alone and im not about to pay for more icloud memory. **** it i'll deal with it until the 5s
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:36 PM   #18
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
i think i'm just gonna leave it alone. i have 7gb of pictures/videos alone and im not about to pay for more icloud memory. **** it i'll deal with it until the 5s
Backup all of your pictures and videos on your PC/Mac, waiting until the 5s will be dreadful with all the problems you have.

If after restore, the same problem occurs, I suggest you get your iPhone replaced
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:39 PM   #19
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Backup all of your pictures and videos on your PC/Mac, waiting until the 5s will be dreadful with all the problems you have.
i'm thinking about that as i type lol decisions
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #20
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
i'm thinking about that as i type lol decisions
It's worth it, you'll be stuck with your phone for a while. AFAIK, you do use it everyday...
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:46 PM   #21
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
If after restore, the same problem occurs, I suggest you get your iPhone replaced
i have no warranty nor insurance so that'd be a waste imo with the 5s coming out sooner than later
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:16 PM   #22
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
It's worth it, you'll be stuck with your phone for a while. AFAIK, you do use it everyday...
yea, i went ahead and did it. hopefully it all goes well
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:25 PM   #23
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
i think i'm just gonna leave it alone. i have 7gb of pictures/videos alone and im not about to pay for more icloud memory. **** it i'll deal with it until the 5s
WTF are you nuts?
You said it was <drama queen> officially ruined </drama queen> and now you're just going to deal with it until a phone that isn't likely I'm production is released? Oh come the **** on. Restore the damn thing like instructed and move on. Start backing up more often so you don't lose as much crap.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #24
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
i have no warranty nor insurance so that'd be a waste imo with the 5s coming out sooner than later
All iphones come with one year warranty
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:31 PM   #25
white4s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
WTF are you nuts?
You said it was <drama queen> officially ruined </drama queen> and now you're just going to deal with it until a phone that isn't likely I'm production is released? Oh come the **** on. Restore the damn thing like instructed and move on. Start backing up more often so you don't lose as much crap.
calm yourself

ps the 5s is already in production
white4s is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What version of Android is your phone officially running? Southernboyj Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 25 Nov 27, 2013 05:59 PM
Resolved: iOS7 early update ruined my phone? danwass iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 17 Sep 19, 2013 09:15 PM
iOS 7 beta ruined my phone jfoley89 iOS 7 12 Sep 19, 2013 08:08 AM
iPhone: Upgrade to iOS7 early ruined my phone? danwass Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Sep 18, 2013 06:43 PM
Officially ditched iOS, now on Windows Phone dba415 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Sep 15, 2012 08:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC