Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:10 AM   #26
walie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Don't take the bait man, it's a myiPhone7 thread, he will make a false point and argue it to the death. Just... let it go *pats your shoulders* just let it go.
yep, theres a doozy myiPhone7 thread in the alternate devices forum where he does a hands on comparison of usage between his iphone and a dummy model Galaxy S3
walie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:28 AM   #27
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I don't think it's gonna make your phone run that much better.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:36 AM   #28
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
I don't use thier services
You are using *somebody* service, unless every time you go online u drive 'round-and-'round for a free WIFI service.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:48 AM   #29
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Is flash drive the same thing as SSD? I meant flash drive I know there couldn't be a spinning disk in there lol
SSD's are based on the same principle and technology yes BUT,

The point is, the difference in performance between the two types of storage is very apparent and you shouldn't compare the two.
The flash based storage in iPhones is not the same as is used in SSD's therefore, they perform in different ways. This plus the fact that iOS is very very good at handeling storage, while a complete operating system like Mac OS X or Windows do not have this privilege.
Serelus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:36 AM   #30
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
yep, theres a doozy myiPhone7 thread in the alternate devices forum where he does a hands on comparison of usage between his iphone and a dummy model Galaxy S3
One of his finest. The bent iPhone thread still tops it though.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:25 AM   #31
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well on most people it does I have a friend who said it does on his and it does it on mine
Most people fail to understand causality. As always, consider the source.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:29 AM   #32
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

on that note with cloud computing, I recently picked up a chromebook and it is perfect if you just need a web browser with a keyboard. Much cheaper than getting a tablet and more functional at $249
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud
Let me know how that works out for you on a plane or in an area without service. The Cloud is ONLY good for backup, there's no point in storage that is inaccessible at any given time. It doesn't matter how fast your connection speed is if you can't actually get to your media.
Interstella5555 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
on that note with cloud computing, I recently picked up a chromebook and it is perfect if you just need a web browser with a keyboard. Much cheaper than getting a tablet and more functional at $249
It's too big for its function. Heck even an iPhone 5 does more than that thing. I'd rather buy an ultra book. Price is fine.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #35
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
It's too big for its function. Heck even an iPhone 5 does more than that thing. I'd rather buy an ultra book. Price is fine.
That is just it, the size is prefect for what it is. I use my ipad on the couch and surfing sites I mostly read on, but when it comes to forums I like to have a keyboard. Using a keyboard with an ipad becomes too cumbersome for me. If you know what you are getting with a chromebook it is a great tablet alternative
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #36
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud
Your whole argument falls flat if you don't have an unlimited data plan. That and they're going the way of the T-Rex.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:35 PM   #37
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Your whole argument falls flat if you don't have an unlimited data plan. That and they're going the way of the T-Rex.
Even then your battery isn't going to be happy about it, local storage for life.
Interstella5555 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:45 PM   #38
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is flash drive the same thing as SSD? I meant flash drive I know there couldn't be a spinning disk in there lol
SSD's use Flash. The technology between the flash ICs, SSDs, HDDs, etc. are irrelevant to this discussion.

Lots of applications mindlessly installed on a Desktop OS tends to have a slowing effect because those apps are free to adjust registry and core bits of the OS to setup startup and background processes.

iOS is heavily locked down, all apps are sandboxed. There is little to no chance except in error for there to be startup or background processes causing the device to get 'jammed up'.

It's restrictive yes, and one of the reasons iPhones are divisive products. Android/OS community hates the lock down, some of us who are fans, love the security and clean operation.

If you want more speed, try disabling some of the Spotlight databases index locations. The huge logs of messages and emails, and apps that it indexes for quick searching.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:34 PM   #39
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Let me know how that works out for you on a plane or in an area without service. The Cloud is ONLY good for backup, there's no point in storage that is inaccessible at any given time. It doesn't matter how fast your connection speed is if you can't actually get to your media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What does that mean?

You're basically talking nonsense!
Exactly.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:03 PM   #40
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
too many replies. this thread is going to get slower.
Awesomesauce!
Jimmy James is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:20 PM   #41
robbie12345
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What does that mean?

You're basically talking nonsense!
Really i hate you techno nerds. Yes the iphone and other ios prducts havbe all digital memory and dont have conventional hard drives, but come on, did you really n ot know what he meant?

pople like you annoy the heck out of me, he was obviously talking about the storage
robbie12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:03 PM   #42
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie12345 View Post
Really i hate you techno nerds. Yes the iphone and other ios prducts havbe all digital memory and dont have conventional hard drives, but come on, did you really n ot know what he meant?

pople like you annoy the heck out of me, he was obviously talking about the storage
That was not the point I was discussing.

He kept saying things like keeping the device "Clean" and that it "Doesn't get jammed up".

Those are complete nonsense - nobody else in the thread has disagreed with that.

The Hard Drive comment was an aside and it's not a big deal.

What I really hate is people that can't follow a thread properly and then resort to breaking the rules by posting insults.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #43
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I have unlimited data only 30 a month (thank ya thank ya)
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:08 PM   #44
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

OP, I am not sure what you are talking about. You are wrong and talking rubbish.
iHailCarlo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:58 AM   #45
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Well not really. The more you put on a computer (the iPhone 5 is basically a computer) it slows down
You are completely wrong. On a computer, yes. On an iOS device? No way. It won't slow down at all. You can fill it as much as you want and not notice a difference.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:12 AM   #46
cfs112
macrumors member

Its been noted that iPhone's camera app will take longer to open when the phone is nearly full and there little storage remaining for pics. I definitely noticed this on my iPhone 4 32 GB when I was on my last 1 GB. There was 16GB worth of pics and video. I now have the 64GB iPhone 5, it is half full and there is no lag opening the camera app
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:22 AM   #47
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Even then your battery isn't going to be happy about it, local storage for life.
Yup. Not convinced by this "cloud" stuff.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone