Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
If you have Parallels 8 & W7 installed you can still write files/folders on the mac to the NTFS NAS, so need not install Paragon or Tuxera at all.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
If you have Parallels 8 & W7 installed you can still write files/folders on the mac to the NTFS NAS, so need not install Paragon or Tuxera at all.

Appreciate your response...I was hoping you were correct as this may have solved one of my problems but unfortunately you are not...

I ran a test as follows....with Paralells closed

1. I disabled the Paragon NTFS for Windows driver and noticed that the permissions that I had for a NTFS formatted USB drive were *READ ONLY*.

2. I enabled the Paragon NTFS for Windows and noticed that that the permissions that I had for the same NTFS formatted USD drive were *READ AND WRITE*.

I can only concluded -- based on the above -- that Parallels possibly [because I have not tested this and this should be tested] allows one to both read / write to NTFS formatted drives that are accessed "through it" but not otherwise...I do not -- for resource purposes -- always want Parallels to be running...

I hope that this is helpful,

Joel

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
For DAS that's NTFS formatted, you'd need a Paragon or Tuxera offering.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/paragon-ntfs-mac-os-review-rewards/

For NAS, the file system doesn't matter as it's offered up to OS X as either CIFS, AFP or NFS.

If the NTFS volume is made available via NAS over AFP then Time Machine will create a disk image file containing an independent JHFSX filesystem, onto which your backup will exist. Time Machine will not backup to NTFS formatted DAS. To support Time Machine to a 3rd party NAS, you need to make sure the version of AFP it's using is up to date (netatalk 2.2.3 or better).

I have hit a glitch....

I have installed NTFS for Mac for purposes of my DAS and all works as it should...

I however am having a terrible time with my NTFS formatted NAS as I can neither:

1. Get iTunes 11 in OS X to read my music though this works perfectly in Windows.

2. Get Time Machine to read the sparse bundle which I created and transferred to the drive to recognize the drive.

Any ideas / help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate your response...I was hoping you were correct as this may have solved one of my problems but unfortunately you are not...

I ran a test as follows....with Paralells closed

1. I disabled the Paragon NTFS for Windows driver and noticed that the permissions that I had for a NTFS formatted USB drive were *READ ONLY*.

2. I enabled the Paragon NTFS for Windows and noticed that that the permissions that I had for the same NTFS formatted USD drive were *READ AND WRITE*.

I can only concluded -- based on the above -- that Parallels possibly [because I have not tested this and this should be tested] allows one to both read / write to NTFS formatted drives that are accessed "through it" but not otherwise...I do not -- for resource purposes -- always want Parallels to be running...

I hope that this is helpful,

Joel

Ain't too sure about your requirements, but I have no problem copying files on the Mac to the NAS which was forbidden under OSX. My requirement is typically an ad-hoc basis, but it appears you wanted your iTunes to have full read/write access to the NTFS NAS, hence from a resource point of view, it's kinda overkill to fire up // and W7 just to enable full RW access.

PosterNutbag.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
7. VPN

I will need to connect to a Cisco SA...I was able to do so with iOS 6's built in VPN app which was Cisco clients...is there a similar app in OS 10.8?
Joel

If you are using IPSec, you do not need the Cisco VPN client. An IPSec VPN client is built in.

I use it to connect to multiple Cisco ASA's via IPSec. It works well.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
If you are using IPSec, you do not need the Cisco VPN client. An IPSec VPN client is built in.

I use it to connect to multiple Cisco ASA's via IPSec. It works well.

Appreciate the response...figured this out within the first hour of owning my MBA...sweeeeeeet!

----------

Ain't too sure about your requirements, but I have no problem copying files on the Mac to the NAS which was forbidden under OSX. My requirement is typically an ad-hoc basis, but it appears you wanted your iTunes to have full read/write access to the NTFS NAS, hence from a resource point of view, it's kinda overkill to fire up // and W7 just to enable full RW access.

See *MURPHYCHRIS'* Post # 5 in this thread which is explains what you are experiencing as follows "...For NAS, the file system doesn't matter as it's offered up to OS X as either CIFS, AFP or NFS...."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.