Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
My galaxy tab came with Froyo. Was stuck with sucky froyo.

Heard gingerbread was available for it, but somehow I couldn't get it.

It was outdated the day I got it.

I think it came out about the iPad 1 did in 2010. iPad 1 got multiple OS updates. Galaxy tab got like zero OS updates.

That is something you have to blame Samsung for. It was Samsung that did not support their product, not Google. Google had newer versions of Android available, they cannot force manufacturers to support their products.

This is different with Nexus 7. It is a product owned and designed by Google, ASUS is just their manufacturer (and also had input on design), much the same as FoxConn building Apple products. Google has already made it known that the Nexus line will get every Android update first and will stay current. Google supports their products.

This is much the same with Android phones. Google puts the new OS out there but it is up to the devices owners that use Android to push that update out there for their products.

My point was at least the Nexus 7 has latest hardware where it is future proof and won't run like molasses with new OS updates. Mini has 2 yr old hardware with minimal RAM. You know iOS 7 and beyond will add features and other stuff requiring more resources.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
That is something you have to blame Samsung for. It was Samsung that did not support their product, not Google. Google had newer versions of Android available, they cannot force manufacturers to support their products.

This is different with Nexus 7. It is a product owned and designed by Google, ASUS is just their manufacturer (and also had input on design), much the same as FoxConn building Apple products. Google has already made it known that the Nexus line will get every Android update first and will stay current. Google supports their products.

This is much the same with Android phones. Google puts the new OS out there but it is up to the devices owners that use Android to push that update out there for their products.

My point was at least the Nexus 7 has latest hardware where it is future proof and won't run like molasses with new OS updates. Mini has 2 yr old hardware with minimal RAM. You know iOS 7 and beyond will add features and other stuff requiring more resources.

And in the case of phones and LTE devices, the carrier has to support it as well as Google and the device manufacturer. One of the big drawbacks of Android, along with the relative scarcity of apps.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If the mini follows the pattern of other iOS products, it will have at least one more update. More likely two.
Any product still being sold as new by apple, has so far always had at least one more update after it is discontinued.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
This is why I'm waiting until the mini gets the A6 processor or faster and a 1GB of ram. Then I'm keeping it on whatever iOS its released with. Every release of iOS on my i-devices has made it slower and slower. Although a factory reset on my iPad 1 did help a bit.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Of the top 10 paid apps in the store right now eight require iOS 4, one requires iOS 3, and one iOS 5. None require iOS 6.

Looking around some more and its clear that iOS 4 is the most targeted version of iOS for developers. It's two generations old at this point, but it's how you reach the broadest audience.

Extrapolating on that notion then concludes iOS 7 will likely build upon iOS 6 much like 5 did to 4; therefore, by the time the much different iOS 8 rolls out, iOS 6 should be the new baseline - which the Mini can easily handle.

iOS 6 becomes the new iOS 4, and this process is repeated thereby yielding a "Tic, Tock" upgrade cycle anyone can follow.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
If the mini follows the pattern of other iOS products, it will have at least one more update. More likely two.
Any product still being sold as new by apple, has so far always had at least one more update after it is discontinued.

"so far" is the key phrase here, they have shown that they are not going to follow the same schedules lately.

I just wish Apple would let you "downgrade" to the iOS version that came with your device. My iPad 1 would be a lot more fun if they did.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
"so far" is the key phrase here, they have shown that they are not going to follow the same schedules lately.

I just wish Apple would let you "downgrade" to the iOS version that came with your device. My iPad 1 would be a lot more fun if they did.

Can you imagine the complexity of tech support calls where someone updated an app which required iOS 5, but they downgraded the iPad to iOS4. The app would disappear, and why can't they have it again?

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Can you imagine the complexity of tech support calls where someone updated an app which required iOS 5, but they downgraded the iPad to iOS4. The app would disappear, and why can't they have it again?

Yes, people would actually have to read requirements and take personal responsibility....you are probably right it would be a cluster.....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, people would actually have to read requirements and take personal responsibility....you are probably right it would be a cluster.....

So what you are saying, is that people with an iPad 1 should check to see how the new OS affects their older device before upgrading. That way they can make sure thier iPad 1 stays fun. ;D

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
The iPad 2 and mini will get iOS 7 and iOS 8 with reduced features. I highly doubt that apple will only give the mini one OS update.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
So what you are saying, is that people with an iPad 1 should check to see how the new OS affects their older device before upgrading. That way they can make sure thier iPad 1 stays fun. ;D

Exactly, I should never have upgraded it....my bad. I got all excited about new features. I just wish I could go back....live and learn. :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Exactly, I should never have upgraded it....my bad. I got all excited about new features. I just wish I could go back....live and learn. :)

For this to work, the entire appstore would need to be revamped around having previous versions available. It's not just Apple, all the devs would have to retain older copies on the server, and if they bigfix or make mods to one version they would have to go back and apply the changes to all the previous versions they have on file. Apple would also have to have applied all their security patches to the earlier OS versions.

It really sounds like a huge headache.

Have you checked to see if the various Jailbreak tricks will let you downgrade to iOS4?

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
The iPad 2 and mini will get iOS 7 and iOS 8 with reduced features. I highly doubt that apple will only give the mini one OS update.

Winner. The i see the ipad 2/mini be like the 3gs, supported for a while but with reduced features. Also were reaching a point that even if you cant get ios 8/9 the ipad will still surf the web with no problems, facetime with no problems etc.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
For this to work, the entire appstore would need to be revamped around having previous versions available. It's not just Apple, all the devs would have to retain older copies on the server, and if they bigfix or make mods to one version they would have to go back and apply the changes to all the previous versions they have on file. Apple would also have to have applied all their security patches to the earlier OS versions.

It really sounds like a huge headache.

Have you checked to see if the various Jailbreak tricks will let you downgrade to iOS4?

Actually I haven't, that's a good idea to look into, thanks :) I jailbroke it the day I found out it was EOL. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.