Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
adnbek
macrumors 65816

iCloud app syncing rant

One great feature is the ability for apps to save data on iCloud. That way, if you are playing a game on an iphone for example, your progress is saved and you can resume where you left off on your ipad. One game that takes advantage of this is jetpack joyride and that means I'm constantly playing it on either device because my progress carries over. If no such sync feature is in place, that game gets playtime only on one device while it gets neglected and unplaced on the other.

Now here is where I am annoyed: why is it that almost no apps take advantage of this feature? I'd say probably none of the ones I own, save jetpack joyride, make use of this feature. Is it hard for developers to code their apps to use iCloud? Since more and more people end up buying multiple devices, you'd think that developers would want to make use of this sync method to make it convenient for the user to keep using their app when switching from their iPhone to iPad for instance.

It annoys me that almost none do. Why is that?

Last edited by adnbek; Dec 3, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
hobsgrg
macrumors regular

Yes this annoys me as well, a few games use it, Cut The Rope and Infinity Blade 2 but it's not many sadly
hobsgrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3
adnbek
macrumors 65816

I'd love to hear from developers as to why. I know there are a few that frequent these boards.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Supposedly setting it up on the back end is not the easiest thing in the world for developers.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services