Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnrredphoenix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Hey, I know there are a bunch of different brands and technical specs for RAM out there, so I was just wondering what kind I should be buying for the new 27'' imac??? Thanks.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
just use my courtesy code to see what you prefer.

Code:
public String getBestRam(PreferenceType type)
{
     if(type == PreferenceType.LESS_MONEY)
     {
          return "Crucial features slightly lower prices than OWC.";
     }

else if(type == PreferenceType.CUSTOMER_SUPPORT)
     {
          return "OWC's customer support has higher ratings than Crucial's.";
     }

else {
          return "Both vendors' RAM have lifetime warranties, and neither will have better performance over one another.  Really depends on your preference.";
     }
}

public static enum PreferenceType
{
     LESS_MONEY,
     CUSTOMER_SUPPORT,
     NOT_SURE;
}

knovins

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Seeing is believing

I too am excited, the 27 has easily user replaceable ram

Where can I see the RAM slots in the new 27-inch iMac? The tear-down review of replacing RAM in the 21.5-inch iMac concerns me that the procedure is above my pay grade. I'd prefer to buy my own RAM as I have for other computers, but want to be sure that I can perform the exchange before I order a BTO. So far, I can't find a photo or line art of the not-yet-released 27-inch model. Thanks.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Where can I see the RAM slots in the new 27-inch iMac? The tear-down review of replacing RAM in the 21.5-inch iMac concerns me that the procedure is above my pay grade. I'd prefer to buy my own RAM as I have for other computers, but want to be sure that I can perform the exchange before I order a BTO. So far, I can't find a photo or line art of the not-yet-released 27-inch model. Thanks.

I read this on the engadget review

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/03/apple-imac-review-2012/

I think you can see it where the power connects on the back of the imac. Looks very easy to replace user ram. If this is the case theres no reason to not get 32GB's ^_^

Friend Trend

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Latency

I'm a bit confused about what latency RAM to buy. I see CL9, CL10 and CL11 available. Presumably the lower the number the better, but they say that means more heat. The iFixit teardown shows that Apple is putting C11 in the smaller iMac -- but I assume it's anyone's guess at this point what they will put in the 27".

I've ordered my 27" with the stock 8Gb, and I plan to buy two 8Gb SODIMMS to bring it up to 24Gb. At the end of the day, does it really matter if the two I buy have a different latency than the RAM it comes with, or should I wait until I get the machine and match the latency?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I'm a bit confused about what latency RAM to buy. I see CL9, CL10 and CL11 available. Presumably the lower the number the better, but they say that means more heat. The iFixit teardown shows that Apple is putting C11 in the smaller iMac -- but I assume it's anyone's guess at this point what they will put in the 27".

I've ordered my 27" with the stock 8Gb, and I plan to buy two 8Gb SODIMMS to bring it up to 24Gb. At the end of the day, does it really matter if the two I buy have a different latency than the RAM it comes with, or should I wait until I get the machine and match the latency?

Wait till they come out with ram kits which I'm sure they will. Apple if I'm not mistaken uses Hynix ram which is nothing special so just wait and see what deals come up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.