Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm writing a research paper on the Apple vs Samsung court cases. Does anyone know how it truly started? Seemed to start shortly after the death of Steve Jobs due to patent infringement that was never mentioned before the CEO's death....

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I believe the first shot was taken by Apple when they started suing all Android phone makers because Steve Jobs hated Android.

You'll need to do your own research to get a reference and specific info though, do your own essays ;)

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I believe Apple were discussing issues with HTC and Samsung for some time before any official action was taken. As all of those talks would have been confidential, it may be some time before we ever discover the truth.

Here's one link (from Fortune in March 2010) to get you started:
Apple talks tough to handset makers

Starting in January, Apple launched a series of C-Level discussions with tier-1 handset makers to underscore its growing displeasure at seeing its iPhone-related IP [intellectual property] infringed. The lawsuit filed against HTC thus appears to be Apple's way of putting a public, lawyered-up exclamation point on a series of blunt conversations that have been occurring behind closed doors.

Obviously HTC was one such tier one handset maker, but it doesn't take a genius to work out Samsung would have been another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.