Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Maybe im the minority but i dont see the whole retina hoopla my buddy has retina on ipad and i dont see the difference. I have a ipad 2 and iphone 4s which i believe has retina. I watched movies all the time on it now i watch movies on my ipad because my iphone really doesn't have much space anymore... does the retina really make that much of a difference.. I guess because i see well closely...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It does with web browsing in portrait mode. I be surprised if one cannot see a difference watching movies as well.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
It's fine if you take a bag with you, but it's too large for commuting if you don't happen to have a bag. The mini fits perfectly in my jacket pocket, so I can take it everywhere. The 4 is a brilliant tablet, just too large to be taken with you all the time. It's just my opinion anyway!

I fully respect your opinion, but in my experience, most people who carry any sort of device ranging from large (laptops) to medium (tablets) to small (phones) usually have some sort of bag or cover to protect their device. I've never really seen anyone just tuck their iPad mini into their jacket pocket because it seems too vulnerable - prone to being stolen, or even falling out and getting damaged.

I know some people who own iPad minis, and they also have invested in folio cases for their device. But I suppose if you're one to not cover your products or bring backpacks with you when you travel then the iPad mini would probably be more ideal.

Usually whenever I ask people (who own iPad minis) their main reason for purchasing one - it usually boils down to price and affordability. iPad minis usually fit their budgets - they're often able and willing to compromise things like screen real estate and retina display for a lower price. But never have I heard someone say that they chose an iPad mini over an iPad because the former is much more portable.

Last edited:

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
My original iPad 1 (3g) is with me everywhere I go, and has been practically glued to me since day 1.

I have it in a case, and carry it around like I used to carry around my day-planner, a magazine or a book.

It draws no attention. It's a lot less obtrusive than a laptop.

I have the original iPad case, and when I use it, I'm propping it up at a low angle on a table, and I'm reading the USA Today, magazines or web sites when I'm out at lunch.

It's always in my car, and I use it all the time in down-time situations. It's a lot easier to use for web-surfing than my phone. It's always stored right next to the center console slipped between the seats. Because it's so thin, I can slip it between the console and the seat - something I could never do with a laptop. And you can't tell it's there at all with the black case on it.

I would never buy a wi-fi iPad - makes no sense for me. I like the always-connected part of the iPad, and that makes the iPad an iPad to me. There is no other device that offers a large easy to read and navigate screen, with the portability the iPad offers.

Smart people usually end up purchasing the wi-fi only iPad and then go with the cheaper tethering plan with their mobile device. Unless you don't have a data plan with your mobile device there's practically no sense in buying a wi-fi+cellular iPad. Why would you have two cellular plans when you could save a lot of money on your tablet device and save money through your plan by utilizing the tether feature?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Smart people usually end up purchasing the wi-fi only iPad and then go with the cheaper tethering plan with their mobile device. Unless you don't have a data plan with your mobile device there's practically no sense in buying a wi-fi+cellular iPad. Why would you have two cellular plans when you could save a lot of money on your tablet device and save money through your plan by utilizing the tether feature?

The data sharing plans introduced is one data plan, multiple devices.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

Funny you mention this. I got the 'mini' as wifi only...as an owner of the past 3 'big' iPads in the cellular version. I've also got an iPhone 5--& that thought was mine as well...up until I decide to tether them. What a pain in comparison with the LTE flavored design. As soon as the iPad goes to sleep, it breaks the connection. I'm not a fan of iPads without cell/GPS. I've since returned mine and exchanged it for the cell version...AT&T is offering a hundred bucks off, and in my data share plan it's only an extra ten bucks a month for the service. I'm in Alaska and don't often frequent places with wifi. If I was in a bigger market with more 'hot spots', I may rethink this scenario. Otherwise, going forward ill only buy the cell version.

I also notice a significant difference with out tethering (on board LTE) vs tethered speed performance. It makes sense...and these LTE iPads flat fly on LTE!

J

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Tethering is a pain in the rump with it losing connections, fiddling around with 2 devices, and it's slower. I'd rather pay the $10 a month on the shared data plan for the convenience and increased speed.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Tethering is a pain in the rump with it losing connections, fiddling around with 2 devices, and it's slower. I'd rather pay the $10 a month on the shared data plan for the convenience and increased speed.

tethering is meant for desperate times when you need access because your device is not 3G/LTE. I did that with my first ipad 2, then went 3G on the ipad 2, then went ipad 3 LTE and now ipad 4LTE. I originally thought I'd not need the connection because I rarely go where there is no wifi, but then lately I am at places where the wifi is slower than my AT&T 3G on my ipad 2. I said forget it, returned my mini wifi and went for an ipad 4 LTE. At least now I can swap my nano-sim from iphone 5 into my ipad 4 LTE with adapter! Works so wonderfully!

It's best to have built in 3G/LTE instead of relying on tethering; one is battery drain on the second device you have to carry around, 2, you have to deal with the dreaded sleep mode and severing your connection once it (the ios device) goes to sleep!

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
First world problem: "Oh god which do I bring with me today? The mini or the4? This is such a dilemma!" :eek:

That's because third world problems are kind of boring. "can't afford any of them..what do i do?"

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My use case scenario for the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4 (or call it my justification):

iPhone 5 - makes calls, quick response to emails, music. I have a 32 GB as my music collection grows and while I appreciate having it all at my fingertips with iTunes match, I store some natively on my phone for the rare occasions I'm without internet connection.

iPad mini - this is the everyday, go everywhere device. Gonna grab an LTE 32 GB model so I can surf, read, play games, facetime anywhere.

iPad 4 - again 32 GB, this is my media device. Movies/Videos, more processor heavy apps, photo editing, document creation, presentation driver - my laptop if you will (I haven't owned a laptop since I got my first iPad - the 1st gen handed down from my dad).

Do I need all of these devices? Of course not. I'd say (and others agree) I use my iPad more than most people. I've had all 4 iterations and have carried them with me wherever I've gone. Done everything from watch the Avengers on a plane to create relatively complex spreadsheets and my resume. Not a day goes by I'm not using it for something - but like many have said I see there being specific uses for each device. Spreading the content across all three means less space on each (and cheaper replacements if need be) and a device with more specialized use. But iCloud allows everything I own on all 3 devices to be accessible on any at any time. My home iMac serves as my base station - I can remote in for more CPU intensive tasks but my iPad has served me well over the years.

I don't know why it's such an issue for some of you that people think like this - some people see the value/need and go for it. Others don't. To each his own. I worked at Best Buy for a little bit and had a guy buy 5 iPad 2s (at the time, the best) just to run his home's entertainment system (which I assume is something to behold). People do/find value in their own ways - my wife has to have a different $300 purse for different occasions. And the times we can afford it (generally as gifts for Christmas/Birthday) I acquiesce. Same goes for tech for some of us.

And that concludes the wall. ;)

----------

First world problem: "Oh god which do I bring with me today? The mini or the4? This is such a dilemma!" :eek:

The idiocy of assuming someone with both isn't also giving to others is a symptom of a huge problem in America. The jealousy/class warfare will tear our nation apart.

My dad drives a $100,000 car - would I ever buy one? Heck no. My Hyundai is perfectly fine. But he can do that because he's worked the better part of 45 years making something of himself (starting out living on dirt floors with 6 siblings).

By the way - he also gives more to charities and causes HE believes in than I hope to make in a year at this point. He's one of the most generous people I know.

Some can do both.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Funny you mention this. I got the 'mini' as wifi only...as an owner of the past 3 'big' iPads in the cellular version. I've also got an iPhone 5--& that thought was mine as well...up until I decide to tether them. What a pain in comparison with the LTE flavored design. As soon as the iPad goes to sleep, it breaks the connection. I'm not a fan of iPads without cell/GPS. I've since returned mine and exchanged it for the cell version...AT&T is offering a hundred bucks off, and in my data share plan it's only an extra ten bucks a month for the service. I'm in Alaska and don't often frequent places with wifi. If I was in a bigger market with more 'hot spots', I may rethink this scenario. Otherwise, going forward ill only buy the cell version.

I also notice a significant difference with out tethering (on board LTE) vs tethered speed performance. It makes sense...and these LTE iPads flat fly on LTE!

J

I just turn my wifi off when I'm not using it and turn it on when I am. I have an iPhone 4S that I tether and I notice no difference in speed although I don't know about LTE

I think you have to sign a two year contract to get $100 off.

I think spending $15 on thetherme makes a lot more sense than spending an extra $130 for the cellular version. I also have unlimited data, so I would have to give that up to get one of those shared plans. No way would I spend an extra $30 a month plus $130 for the cell version when I can just use the tetherme app on my jailbroken phone.

----------

J

I honestly think that if you are just browsing the web, going on facebook, and sending iMessages that the AT&T 3G connection (They have without a doubt the fastest 3G) is plenty good for that stuff and you don't really need LTE.

If you are going to be watching TV using the slingplayer app, and streaming movies on netflix, facetime, and/or using stuff that eats data LTE is going to make a huge difference but it's also going to leave you with a significantly high data bill. If you have an unlimited data I think you are way better off tethering, but of course you have to be jailbroken and I acknowledge that not everybody wants to jailbreak their phone.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I just turn my wifi off when I'm not using it and turn it on when I am. I have an iPhone 4S that I tether and I notice no difference in speed although I don't know about LTE

I think spending $15 on thetherme makes a lot more sense than spending an extra $130 for the cellular version. I also have unlimited data, so I would have to give that up to get one of those shared plans. No way would I spend an extra $30 a month plus $130 for the cell version when I can just use the tetherme app on my jailbroken phone.

----------

I honestly think that if you are just browsing the web, going on facebook, and sending iMessages that the AT&T 3G connection (They have without a doubt the fastest 3G) is plenty good for that stuff and you don't really need LTE.

If you are going to be watching TV using the slingplayer app, and streaming movies on netflix, facetime, and/or using stuff that eats data LTE is going to make a huge difference but it's also going to leave you with a significantly high data bill. If you have an unlimited data I think you are way better off tethering, but of course you have to be jailbroken and I acknowledge that not everybody wants to jailbreak their phone.

Really good point. I forgot that most AT&T and Verizon users don't have unlimited data plans. I use T-Mobile as a carrier (outstanding coverage in my area, relatively non-congested network etc.) so I'm definitely taking advantage of the incredible internet speeds, truly unlimited data and financially sound contract prices -- all things I'm satisfied with even while having to pay full price upfront for the mobile device.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have both the 4 and a LTE mini. But to be honest, I use the mini 90% of the time. It's the perfect size for my needs.

If a poll was done, I'm sure the results would show one iPad is being used lots more than another when more than one is owned. Other than portability, I certainly would say the mini is more a duplication of another iPad. That would in itself not be enough in owning more than one iPad in my case.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
No, what purpose would owning both the iPad and the iPad mini serve, exactly? Completely unnecessary in my opinion.

You're implying that the iPad itself isn't good for traveling? It's a completely portable device, and no one would have argued against that up until the recent release of the iPad mini. If you don't have a laptop then you can use the iPad as a laptop replacement and for what it is - a portable tablet. Getting a mini as a portable tablet (and also owning an iPad) is completely unnecessary, realistically speaking.

Who are YOU to decide what's best/'more portable' for others??? Plenty of folks have reasons to save weight while traveling, backpacking, flying around the world, et al. You've no right to decide for others what they need, use or decide to buy.

I fully respect your opinion, but in my experience, most people who carry any sort of device ranging from large (laptops) to medium (tablets) to small (phones) usually have some sort of bag or cover to protect their device. I've never really seen anyone just tuck their iPad mini into their jacket pocket because it seems too vulnerable - prone to being stolen, or even falling out and getting damaged.

I know some people who own iPad minis, and they also have invested in folio cases for their device. But I suppose if you're one to not cover your products or bring backpacks with you when you travel then the iPad mini would probably be more ideal.

Usually whenever I ask people (who own iPad minis) their main reason for purchasing one - it usually boils down to price and affordability. iPad minis usually fit their budgets - they're often able and willing to compromise things like screen real estate and retina display for a lower price. But never have I heard someone say that they chose an iPad mini over an iPad because the former is much more portable.

Not sure who you're talking to...or if you've taken the time to actually read the thread---but a couple dozen folks here have said exactly what YOU have NEVER heard anyone say---"They chose the iPad Mini over an iPad because the former is much more portable"...In fact, unless you registered to MR yesterday and this is the first thread you looked at/responded to, there are hundreds of folks Here @ MR that have said the same!!!!

:confused:

My use case scenario for the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4 (or call it my justification):

iPhone 5 - makes calls, quick response to emails, music. I have a 32 GB as my music collection grows and while I appreciate having it all at my fingertips with iTunes match, I store some natively on my phone for the rare occasions I'm without internet connection.

iPad mini - this is the everyday, go everywhere device. Gonna grab an LTE 32 GB model so I can surf, read, play games, facetime anywhere.

iPad 4 - again 32 GB, this is my media device. Movies/Videos, more processor heavy apps, photo editing, document creation, presentation driver - my laptop if you will (I haven't owned a laptop since I got my first iPad - the 1st gen handed down from my dad).

Do I need all of these devices? Of course not. I'd say (and others agree) I use my iPad more than most people. I've had all 4 iterations and have carried them with me wherever I've gone. Done everything from watch the Avengers on a plane to create relatively complex spreadsheets and my resume. Not a day goes by I'm not using it for something - but like many have said I see there being specific uses for each device. Spreading the content across all three means less space on each (and cheaper replacements if need be) and a device with more specialized use. But iCloud allows everything I own on all 3 devices to be accessible on any at any time. My home iMac serves as my base station - I can remote in for more CPU intensive tasks but my iPad has served me well over the years.

I don't know why it's such an issue for some of you that people think like this - some people see the value/need and go for it. Others don't. To each his own. I worked at Best Buy for a little bit and had a guy buy 5 iPad 2s (at the time, the best) just to run his home's entertainment system (which I assume is something to behold). People do/find value in their own ways - my wife has to have a different $300 purse for different occasions. And the times we can afford it (generally as gifts for Christmas/Birthday) I acquiesce. Same goes for tech for some of us.

----------

The idiocy of assuming someone with both isn't also giving to others is a symptom of a huge problem in America. The jealousy/class warfare will tear our nation apart.

My dad drives a $100,000 car - would I ever buy one? Heck no. My Hyundai is perfectly fine. But he can do that because he's worked the better part of 45 years making something of himself (starting out living on dirt floors with 6 siblings).

By the way - he also gives more to charities and causes HE believes in than I hope to make in a year at this point. He's one of the most generous people I know.

Some can do both.

Excellent post, very well thought out 'plan'...and by choosing 32 vs 64GB models of the larger iPad and iPhone---you've knocked a couple C notes off the price of the mini! I'm very much in the same boat...and if anything, my 2011 11" Air is the 'lonely' device since owning both the Mini and iPad 4.

----------

My apologies you've not had the experience with LTE---or the shared data plans AT&T is now offering. I've got a 20GB plan 'bucket' that all of our devices drink from. From there, it's only ten bucks a month to add the iPad. I thought I'd made it clear before---but if not, again I've owned each iteration of the iPad since launch...and each has been the cellular model. Kinda like my iPhone, I'm now sure that I want the data plan consistently, so I don't mind a $10/month, 2 year contract...it's less than a 'hot lunch' these days

As far as LTE and the 'unlimited' plan...I'm not sure you're understanding exactly how it works. It doesn't actually use any more data than HSPA/3g. It's just faster. I still do the same things I used to do---I just enjoy significantly faster load times, less buffering, and incredible D/L speeds. Again---it's still using the exact same amount of data! This includes streaming video--regardless of whether you're using 3g or LTE--the movie 'file' itself is the same size, you just won't have to deal with 'buffering'---Lastly, while you do have Unlimited...doesn't AT&T start throttling after you've reached 3GB? Even if I hit my 20GB cap, I'm only paying 10 bucks/GB after that, and I've never exceeded 16/17GB....and it never is 'throttled' :)

J

Last edited:

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California

----------

Some can do both.

^ I agree and will likely be on that similar course in a decade or so.

I will say that as the new releases become more and more appealing and the 'older' stuff doesn't break, i'm starting to hand down these devices to the kids. My iPhone 4 is still in good shape even after my toddler's dropped and tossed it around a couple of times. The only thing I foresee declining is the battery 'memory'.

Scary that in a couple of years when we'll be on a road trip with(hypothetically): iPhone 7 (x2), iPhone 6S, iPad 4, iPad mini....

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I was going to say the same thing,if someone can afford it,then it's up to them what they do with their money.
Just because someone else can't doesn't give them the right to lecture everyone else on how they spend their money.
Me,I proudly own a 16gb white ipad 4 and a 16gb White ipad mini,and I worked hard for my money.I use the ipad 4 at home as my main device and the mini I take with me as my portable companion when I have to travel.
So they each have their own purposes and work out very well for me.

And where do you get off thinking that anyone who doesn't buy multiple iPads can't afford multiple iPads?:rolleyes:

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Who are YOU to decide what's best/'more portable' for others??? Plenty of folks have reasons to save weight while traveling, backpacking, flying around the world, et al. You've no right to decide for others what they need, use or decide to buy.

Not sure who you're talking to...or if you've taken the time to actually read the thread---but a couple dozen folks here have said exactly what YOU have NEVER heard anyone say---"They chose the iPad Mini over an iPad because the former is much more portable"...In fact, unless you registered to MR yesterday and this is the first thread you looked at/responded to, there are hundreds of folks Here @ MR that have said the same!!!!

:confused:

You need to settle down. I'm not deciding anything for anyone - and if you think I am, then you clearly need to re-read my post. The fact of the matter is that up until the recent release of the iPad mini, no one, ever argued that the iPad was "too big to be portable". The tablet itself was designed for portability. Let's be realistic here - there is virtually no point in having both an iPad and an iPad mini it's completely nonsensical. They're both great products - the logical thing would be to get one or the other according to your needs - getting both of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if you don't have a laptop or only have a desktop - the iPad could serve as both a laptop replacement as well as a portable device. I find it both disturbing and hilarious that people are arguing that they're getting iPad minis because it can "fit in their coat pockets". If super portability is your main concern, then you're better off just utilizing the iPhone - as it has more feature built into it on top of the tablet functionality.

I'm not arguing against the fact that people choose the iPad mini over the iPad because it's more portable -- I'm merely pointing out how stupid it is to buy both an iPad and an iPad mini claiming that one is for "portability" while the other is for media... It simply isn't a good enough reason, in my opinion.

With respect to the consensus reasoning behind why most people get iPad minis versus iPads (and vice versa) - I'm speaking off of both MR forum experience and real life experience.

All in all, you can continue to try to justify making a decision as dumb as purchasing both an iPad and an iPad mini - and I will continue to provide you with reasons that easily refute and counter them. It's like me saying "I want to get both a 17'' Macbook and a 13'' Macbook - one will be my laptop for media and the other will be my laptop for portability and going to school". It's just dumb.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You need to settle down. I'm not deciding anything for anyone - and if you think I am, then you clearly need to re-read my post. The fact of the matter is that up until the recent release of the iPad mini, no one, ever argued against the iPad being "too big to be portable". The tablet itself was designed for portability. Let's be realistic here - there is virtually no point in having both an iPad and an iPad mini it's completely nonsensical. They're both great products - the logical thing would be to get one or the other according to your needs - getting both of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if you don't have a laptop or only have a desktop - the iPad could serve as both a laptop replacement as well as a portable device. I find it both disturbing and hilarious that people are arguing that they're getting iPad minis because it can "fit in their coat pockets". If super portability is your main concern, then you're better off just utilizing the iPhone - as it has more feature built into it on top of the tablet functionality.

With respect to the consensus reasoning behind why most people get iPad minis versus iPads (and vice versa) - I'm speaking off of both MR forum experience and real life experience.

All in all, you can continue to try to justify making a decision as dumb as purchasing both an iPad and an iPad mini - and I will continue to provide you with reasons that easily refute and counter them. It's like me saying "I want to get both a 17'' Macbook and a 13'' Macbook - one will be my laptop for media and the other will be my laptop for portability and going to school". It's just dumb.

Excellent! Though dumb isn't the word I'd use, all of a sudden iPads are too big heavy and not portable. I have no problems hauling around my 4 now even though I had a mini. Unnecessary is the word I use. Want and need are two different things entirely.

I welcome reasons why both are NEEDED!

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
You need to settle down. I'm not deciding anything for anyone - and if you think I am, then you clearly need to re-read my post. The fact of the matter is that up until the recent release of the iPad mini, no one, ever argued that the iPad was "too big to be portable". The tablet itself was designed for portability. Let's be realistic here - there is virtually no point in having both an iPad and an iPad mini it's completely nonsensical. They're both great products - the logical thing would be to get one or the other according to your needs - getting both of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Seriously, why do you find it 'disturbing and hilarious' that I manage to fit the ipad mini in my coat pocket, and therefore prefer the mini over the 4 when traveling without a bag? Why does it bother you so much that in my opinion both ipads can fit into my work/life pattern well and that's what I prefer? It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you can only have the one ipad - that's your choice. I also don't care if you find it dumb, but please grow up and respect the fact that other people's opinions don't always agree with yours.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Seriously, why do you find it 'disturbing and hilarious' that I manage to fit the ipad mini in my coat pocket, and therefore prefer the mini over the 4 when traveling without a bag? Why does it bother you so much that in my opinion both ipads can fit into my work/life pattern well and that's what I prefer? It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you can only have the one ipad - that's your choice. I also don't care if you find it dumb, but please grow up and respect the fact that other people's opinions don't always agree with yours.

I don't find it hilarious that you prefer the iPad mini over the iPad because of your ability to "fit it in your coat pocket" - because, from what I know at least, you're sensible enough to realize that choosing either one or the other is the most sensible decision.

What I find both hilarious and disturbing is the fact that there are people who justify purchasing both devices because they're convinced that both tablets serve entirely different functions. Just because I can't fit my iPad into my coat pocket doesn't deem it non-portable. Most people I know who carry any sort of device (laptops, tablets, phones) usually carry it in some sort of a case - and even more so will probably put it in a backpack when traveling - including the iPad mini. But for those who don't - I would definitely suggest getting a mini. But once again, getting an iPad and an iPad mini is comparable to purchasing a 17'' Macbook and a 13'' Macbook - pretty illogical.

By the way, I'm not trying to impose any of my opinions on to you. But you can't really complain about me questioning/commenting on your "opinion" on a message board/forum - we're here to exchange ideas, discuss opinions and provide feedback. Everyone has their opinions, and at the end of the day, there's obviously no objective answer regarding whether someone should have both an iPad and an iPad mini.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't find it hilarious that you prefer the iPad mini over the iPad because of your ability to "fit it in your coat pocket" - because, from what I know at least, you're sensible enough to realize that choosing either one or the other is the most sensible decision.

What I find both hilarious and disturbing is the fact that there are people who justify purchasing both devices because they're convinced that both tablets serve entirely different functions. Just because I can't fit my iPad into my coat pocket doesn't deem it non-portable. Most people I know who carry any sort of device (laptops, tablets, phones) usually carry it in some sort of a case - and even more so will probably put it in a backpack when traveling - including the iPad mini. But for those who don't - I would definitely suggest getting a mini. But once again, getting an iPad and an iPad mini is comparable to purchasing a 17'' Macbook and a 13'' Macbook - pretty illogical.

By the way, I'm not trying to impose any of my opinions on to you. But you can't really complain about me questioning/commenting on your "opinion" on a message board/forum - we're here to exchange ideas, discuss opinions and provide feedback. Everyone has their opinions, and at the end of the day, there's obviously no objective answer regarding whether someone should have both an iPad and an iPad mini.

How about owning a desktop and a laptop? Some people have a 17 in laptop as their "desktop" or home computer and a smaller more portable one for the road.

The issue here is, why does it matter to you? You're entitled to your opinion, and you say you're not here to "impose" them on anyone - however you find our opinions "disturbing"?

What if I said - "I just want both." Forget the justification, forget why I'd use each device, I simply think they're both cool and want both of them. And I can afford it. Do you find this disturbing as well?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
How about owning a desktop and a laptop? Some people have a 17 in laptop as their "desktop" or home computer and a smaller more portable one for the road.

The issue here is, why does it matter to you? You're entitled to your opinion, and you say you're not here to "impose" them on anyone - however you find our opinions "disturbing"?

What if I said - "I just want both." Forget the justification, forget why I'd use each device, I simply think they're both cool and want both of them. And I can afford it. Do you find this disturbing as well?

Yes, I do find it pretty disturbing, to be honest. What do you buy your devices for? Convenience and utility? Or just to look and awe at the shiny device all day? Again, if it's the latter, then I find it disturbing.

It's a discussion forum - we have the right to discuss. If you're incapable of doing that, then don't participate in the discussion. Obviously no one has final say over what you do - and if you think so, then that's not our problem. I'm not sure if you bothered to read through the forum, but he clearly stated multiple times that there's no objective answer to whether or not it's acceptable to buy both an iPad mini and an iPad, but from what I gathered throughout reading this thread - the majority consensus is that it's illogical.

Read this -- (focus on the bold portion):

By the way, I don't know many people who own a large laptop as a desktop and a smaller laptop as a laptop. I know people who either:

a.) use their laptop as a desktop/laptop
b.) have a desktop used as a desktop and have a laptop used as a laptop.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I own two 4s, and two Minis. It's not ridiculous at all actually. One four stays in my pack for road travel. The other at my desk for Netflix/Plex/Hulu watching, and both for transcon flights (I like to game and watch movies at the same time).

One mini is for secondary travel and or for my Tesla and one controls my home automation and theater.

Again, not ridiculous at all for my needs.

Are there any more possessions or lifestyle features you'd like to subtly brag about in your post, or did you cover them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.