Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

Nicholas, thanks for your email. As the lead for our music creation apps, I always want to hear what our users are thinking. I want to assure you the team is still in place and hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro.

-xander

Here is what I'm thinking.

His responses means that a new Logic Pro is coming out. (we still don't know when)

The fact remains that Apple is working so hard that every other company has produced a kazillion new versions, updates and yet the holy Apple has done nothing but lay in secrecy. Ow wait lets be fair... we got Garageband on Idevices Woeiiii!!!

Who cares if they get the team together and build something again how great it may be. Its so freakin late. Once it gets out who knows how long its going to take to see an update etc. In the meantime we're still stuck with overpriced Mac Pro's and other macs which get harder and harder to upgrade and/or repair.

If they really want to hear what users have to say then they should listen for once.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Who cares if they get the team together and build something again how great it may be. Its so freakin late. Once it gets out who knows how long its going to take to see an update etc. In the meantime we're still stuck with overpriced Mac Pro's and other macs which get harder and harder to upgrade and/or repair.

Bitter party of 1. ;)

Relax guys..this negative attitude will seep into your music. Remember this little factoid. The tools you have today are unimaginably more powerful than Bach, Beethoven or Mozart had at their disposal. These tools allow you to create music despite not having as much talent (presumably) than the aforementioned composers.

Even if Logic Pro X doesn't come until 2014 you still have more power than anyone had even just a decade ago. Stop letting your tools be the reason why you cannot make great things.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
fix the single-core overload bugs.

fix the lack of 'chunks' like DP. working on long video sequences in one file is next to impossible.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
I second that. That issue (which there is a 36 page thread about at Logic Pro Forums) really makes the program unusable for me for now.

The problem lies not only within Logic Pro and ML but mostly with certain plugins, like Waves, these cause lag with Mountain Lion because of their GUI interface. It is certainly unusable for some people, and the only solution is to return to SL.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah.....

I see Logic is now $199. When did that happen? I paid $500 a few years ago. Wasn't it $1000 at one point?

----------

For starters, when I hit record there is a delay of a few seconds. Something I never had before Mountain Lion.

Once they sold it in the app store without the requisite 50 pounds of heavy documentation the price dropped. Which is great, say I.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Even if Logic Pro X doesn't come until 2014 you still have more power than anyone had even just a decade ago. Stop letting your tools be the reason why you cannot make great things.

It's not the talent, it's the market's expected level of productivity that it demands. (Which is actually one of the biggest enemies of our economic recovery, employee productivity keeps going up)

The expectation of getting more done with less is a brutal reality for many pros.

C

champ01

Bitter party of 1. ;)

Relax guys..this negative attitude will seep into your music. Remember this little factoid. The tools you have today are unimaginably more powerful than Bach, Beethoven or Mozart had at their disposal. These tools allow you to create music despite not having as much talent (presumably) than the aforementioned composers.

Thats not the point I was trying to make.
I like Logic a lot compared to other DAW's out there but its the lack of updates and total secrecy etc. which shows that they are not listening at all.

Do you think a community which are using these tools for a living are satisfied with a crappy email response?

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Logic users tend to be pretty loyal. Plus if Apple didn't care about audio production they wouldn't have purchased Redmatica's software. Clearly they want to integrate better sample editing tools the the Logic arsenal.

So were Final Cut Pro users... and Mac Pro users... and look how they were treated.

FCP X was updated and lacked several must-have features for pros, including multiple-camera support and the ability to open files from older versions of FCP. Oh, and you couldn't buy the old FCP anymore, so if you were a shop that needed to add a seat, that person could never open any projects anyone else was working on - you'd have to move everyone over to the new software, and then NO ONE could open any old projects.

Then the Mac Pro was updated to cutting-edge, top-of-the-line mid-2011 processors... in mid-2012.

It's pretty clear that Apple either has completely lost interest in the Pro market or has no idea what they need. Either way, if I were a pro user, I'd be seriously looking at Windows solutions now. Platform loyalty is all well and good, but pros have to take into account the bottom line both now and down the road.

I really hope Logic has a better fate and Apple gets their Pro act together, though.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Professional software is the one area Apple would do well to be more public about their future plans. I would have hoped they learned their lesson from Final Cut Pro X...

Folks don't know whether to stick with a dated tool or switch to another platform when they have no idea what is coming or when.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I'm not a musically talented in any way and have no music theory background training or schooling at all. If they are able to make software for people like me to make music, that's so awesome!

On the other hand, digital software is so good, you don't even have to have years and years of musical training or any real instrument talent at all. You can make music with a computer and in fact make music with any instruments better than any single human being that have been training all their life!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So were Final Cut Pro users... and Mac Pro users... and look how they were treated.

FCP X was updated and lacked several must-have features for pros, including multiple-camera support and the ability to open files from older versions of FCP. Oh, and you couldn't buy the old FCP anymore, so if you were a shop that needed to add a seat, that person could never open any projects anyone else was working on - you'd have to move everyone over to the new software, and then NO ONE could open any old projects.

Then the Mac Pro was updated to cutting-edge, top-of-the-line mid-2011 processors... in mid-2012.

It's pretty clear that Apple either has completely lost interest in the Pro market or has no idea what they need. Either way, if I were a pro user, I'd be seriously looking at Windows solutions now. Platform loyalty is all well and good, but pros have to take into account the bottom line both now and down the road.

I really hope Logic has a better fate and Apple gets their Pro act together, though.

FCPX has had more upgrades in its short lifetime than the previous version had in 3-4 years. Apple gaffed in that they stopped selling previous versions immediately but it was clear that it was beyond time to move off of archaic Quicktime and towards the future in AV Foundation. Apple should have just employed a dual strategy by putting FCP 7 in maintenance mode and continuing to improve FCPX rapidly as they have.

Apple hasn't lost interest in the Pro apps, it's just so much of their bottom line is mobile devices but they continue to move forward. I'm excited about seeing how they integrate the assets acquired from Redmatica and AV Foundation continues to improve and power exceptional updates to FCPX.

The future still looks bright. I don't need Apple to tell me their roadmap although it would be nice.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado

The problem is Apple had a lot of Pro apps written in Carbon and they needed to redo all of them for Cocoa for 64-bit and newer interfaces. FCPX was not just an update - it was a from the ground rewrite. Those take awhile - years in fact. Apple must've decided 3-4 years ago to stop updating existing Pro apps and just rewrite them from scratch. The first out was FCPX. Next will be Logic, etc.. Aperture I think is already Cooca, and has had a few major updates already (though the version update hasn't shown it).

The Mac Pro is just a sad reflection on the sales figures I think.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Logic X has been a long time coming. would like much improved audio editing and i hope they're implementing ipad integration for touch interface.

Maybe I just don't get it, but having recently finished my first album with Logic Pro (all solo), I'm hard pressed to think of anything Logic Pro 'needs' added to other than perhaps more default software synth patches and guitar processing defaults (most included settings kind of suck and need a lot of fiddling to make them sound really good) and a better WAV editor and perhaps some mastering tools to make volume matching, etc. a bit easier for separate projects. I thought Logic was awesome, personally. I got professional results with total ease, really. And unlike the older Final Cut Pro, Logic actually used both my cores for processing on my MBP. Now I've got a quad-core Mini i7 I could use for editing and it would simply own for sheer processing DSP and more tracks at once.

I'd be more afraid of a "Logic Pro X" kind of thing that mirrors the Final Cut X thing (i.e. more "Garage Band" kiddie features and wiping out all the power tools it already has in the process of some dopey GUI make-over that it does NOT need). Logic Pro is already incredibly easy to use and I'm sure I haven't realized half the things that COULD be done with it if I knew about every little editing tool/button or had some mixing boards to interface to it, etc.

The last thing Logic needs is an iPhone/iPad kiddie interface (like they're advertising the iPad with that piano commercial playing something stupid like Chopsticks). This isn't Rockband or Guitar Hero for goodness sake.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Maybe I just don't get it, but having recently finished my first album with Logic Pro (all solo), I'm hard pressed to think of anything Logic Pro 'needs' added to other than perhaps more default software synth patches and a better WAV editor and perhaps some mastering tools to make volume matching, etc. a bit easier for separate projects. I thought Logic was awesome, personally. I got professional results with total ease, really. And unlike the older Final Cut Pro, Logic actually used both my cores for processing on my MBP. Now I've got a quad-core Mini i7 I could use for editing and it would simply own for sheer processing DSP and more tracks at once.

Awesome news on the completion of your solo album. I tend to agree with you that Logic Pro probably doesn't need huge features but just an overall improvement of the applications and it would seem that the next Logic Pro version should integrate very well with Final Cut Pro X (Apple told Larry Jordan that improved audio editing is coming)

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Platform loyalty is all well and good, but pros have to take into account the bottom line both now and down the road.

Platform loyalty causes me nothing but headaches. Now I go where I can get the most work done. Software is becoming more and more easy to run on both platforms (C4d MSA's get you the ability to run on a mac and PC, Adobe Creative Cloud can be run on both platforms for a small fee). which is dangerous for Apple's shrinking pro market.

I doubt they care. Apple is probably busy counting money from iPhones and iPads.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How will this be handled if you purchased through the App Store? Just have to purchase the entire version as a new piece of software? They really need a paid upgrade mechanism for the App Store.

I agree here. I've got all the DVDs and it'd be nice if I could just click a button and have the App store install a basic setup on my new Mac Mini for editing (it's on my MBP for remote recording around the house and elsewhere). If you're registered already for it, they should automatically add it to your account, IMO. I paid a lot more than $199 for it, after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.