Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #176
B2FiNiTY
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
And everyone who says "why risk your phone?" - that's not a valid argument. USB voltage won't damage it, worst case scenario is it won't work.
totally valid argument. I've tested loads of "chinese" cables that have inferior materials and specs that have resulted in burning out the usb hub, phone, battery, etc.

standard usb voltage won't damage it but the cable itself could cause short circuit, over voltage, and other conditions.
B2FiNiTY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:42 PM   #177
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunnykart View Post
If it's cheaper and it works, why not?
Because they are unauthorized and Apple doesn't get any money if you buy one.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #178
Sajornet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
I ordered the iPhone 5 dock a week ago, but it doesn't look like it has even shipped yet...

Has it shipped now?

Last edited by Sajornet; Nov 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
Sajornet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:35 PM   #179
aross99
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajornet View Post
Has it shipped now?
I have a tracking number on my order at the web site, and it says it just arrived at the delivery post office, so I would hope I get in in the next few days...

Last edited by aross99; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #180
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

I received my two Lightning cables from Fasttech rather quickly, considering it was shipping from Hong Kong. Unfortuntely, one cable didn't work at all and the other one only worked on one side.

I contacted Fasttech and they responded with an apology and shipped out two more cables, ensuring me that these two new ones were properly tested, and to discard the old cables.

They're not anywhere near the same build as Apple's Lightning cables, but I never expected it to, but at least that their customer service is responsive and accommodating.

We'll see the final result of my experience when I receive these two replacements.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM   #181
xXxDieselxXx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
I received my two Lightning cables from Fasttech rather quickly, considering it was shipping from Hong Kong. Unfortuntely, one cable didn't work at all and the other one only worked on one side.

I contacted Fasttech and they responded with an apology and shipped out two more cables, ensuring me that these two new ones were properly tested, and to discard the old cables.

They're not anywhere near the same build as Apple's Lightning cables, but I never expected it to, but at least that their customer service is responsive and accommodating.

We'll see the final result of my experience when I receive these two replacements.
Did you get the replacements yet? I'm about to pull the trigger
xXxDieselxXx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM   #182
DGPMaluco
macrumors regular

Where are you guys getting those prices? 1,5€ a normal 30 pin cable, around 3€ for a lightning
DGPMaluco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:37 PM   #183
YoungTheKing
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post
i still want to know too.
YoungTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #184
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTheKing View Post
i still want to know too.
Yes, I got the replacements and they both work fine. So I ended up with two "and a half " cables for $15. I'm satisfied with it.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #185
xXxDieselxXx
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I actually ordered the gold plated cable on Nov 27. from FastTech

It shipped the same day I ordered so they seem pretty quick. I'll let you guys know how the gold member behaves

EDIT: got the cable and it's working just fine. Quality is not bad but not even close to the original.

So far it does everything and it's reversible as well.

Last edited by xXxDieselxXx; Dec 5, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
xXxDieselxXx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:19 PM   #186
IMaMACnow
macrumors newbie

Scam?

Haven't received my order in 2+ months.. Tracking ID doesn't work... Anyone else?
IMaMACnow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:20 PM   #187
YoungTheKing
macrumors newbie

too late to get money back?
YoungTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:58 PM   #188
semitech
macrumors newbie

Cheap lightning cable

The best place for cheap lightning cables are at http://semitech.co/ They are very high quality cables, at great prices. Check it out.
semitech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:46 AM   #189
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlf View Post
Not old enough to remember SCSI drives, eh? A SCSI cable and a terminator would set you back more than this. WAAY more.

I see this connector and its associated technology as an acceptable transition to a future-proof(ish) design. What did you guys want? Mini/Micro USB? And what? an HDMI port on top of that? and an SD slot? and a VGA port... and...

The old giant connector limited their hardware designs and was cumbersome to work with. The new connector is small, elegant, and effectively transmogrifies to be whatever they need it to be; possibly adapting to connection standards that aren't even out in the wild yet.

Yeah, it sucks that if you want to buy the new devices, you need to move to the new connector. If that's having such an impact on your life that it is a major concern, I'm sorry.

My $.02.
Ahhhh, SCSI daisy chains.

The good ole days.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:25 AM   #190
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The problem is SCSI wasn't designed for regular folks, at least it wasn't adopted by regular users. Cost was one of these reasons. Regular folk had PATA, which was cheap.

The Lightning connected is like Parallel cables in your comparison; it's for regular folks, not for enterprises. The Lightning cable doesn't even have fast connectivity.

So yes there was a time where cables were expensive, but those were for enterprises and non-consumers. These are very expensive.
SCSI was a standard among Mac folk back in the 90's. my Power Mac 8600/250 had a SCSI interface as the ONLY hard drive interface, and the ONLY external drive interface. It was faster than IDE back then, but pricey.

There was no PATA in Macs back then.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:48 AM   #191
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
MicroUSB would have been nice... Sound data can be transferred over USB for any docks or cars which want to be able to change songs. With MicroUSB you could also attach an external SD card reader so you can take photos from a camera to upload onto Facebook on the go.

I don't understand why they couldn't have used MicroUSB. Anything can be done over that data connection...and with USB 3.0 you'd be able to stream HD video to a TV.
I know the answer to this:

Micro USB cannot handle charging duties for an iPad. It can't pass the voltage required to do that.

And, on the streaming to a TV part - no, you can't pass content from a USB device to an HDMI port without having some data conversion happening along the way.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:43 PM   #192
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I remember that when the lightening adapter was first released they were saying that the cable had a mini computer like electronics in it that could be flashed to make fake adapters no longer work. so you might get an update for your device then suddenly the fake cable will no longer work. so your out the 15-20 dollars or whatever. I wonder if that is still the case.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:20 AM   #193
BarryL
macrumors 6502

monoprice.com has official supported lighting cables finally.

They start around $11.76 for 3ft, to $12.50 for 6ft.

Not bad.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion