Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Anyone know the minimum age?

What's the minimum age to work at apple retail on the east coast on the United States?
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
What's the minimum age to work at apple retail on the east coast on the United States?
18. Although the store where I worked did hire a couple of 17 year old high school seniors once.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Someone interested to work in an Apple store? The thought is kinda of interesting I guess, working in a store with iPads, iPods and iPhones all around you.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

I heard from somebody that used to work there that they do a very strict background check including reviewing high school & college transcripts and looking at your credit and yet they only pay minimum wage.

I know there is a high turnover at that place.
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Its 18 unless you close with management at a specific location. I was good friends with a manager and he wanted to hire me but I couldn't get myself to do it. Make much more serving, plus shifts are shorter, which makes my schedule more flexible for classes.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Do yourself a favour and don't apply. It's not a good job. Period!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:23 AM   #7
John T
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
And what's your idea of "a good job"?
John T is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 AM   #8
laudern
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't class anything in customer service as a 'good job'..But then again I'm a teacher and I'm use to telling people what I think of them, not the other way round lol.
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:08 AM   #9
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
I heard from somebody that used to work there that they do a very strict background check including reviewing high school & college transcripts and looking at your credit and yet they only pay minimum wage.

Not true...as far as I know Apple does not ask for transcripts and they won't request them as a part of your background check which is mostly to search criminal records
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?, one where you don't have to deal with idiot customers all day?, one where you get treated fairly and have ample breaks, one where you get some reward for selling up to 30,000 of goods for the company every week?, one where people don't think it's cool to wear over sized colourful trainers just so you stand out...should I go on? No, I don't think I need to...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:03 AM   #11
bigjobby
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?, one where you don't have to deal with idiot customers all day?, one where you get treated fairly and have ample breaks, one where you get some reward for selling up to 30,000 of goods for the company every week?, one where people don't think it's cool to wear over sized colourful trainers just so you stand out...should I go on? No, I don't think I need to...
Take it easy, a jobs a job regardless of what it is. Its better to have one, no matter what, than being a parasite and milking the system. Kudos to the OP for taking the initiative and investigating avenues for employment, especially as the teenage job market is incredibly challenging.

Good luck to the OP (or whoever they're posing the question for).
bigjobby is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Do others a favor and don't assume that your preferences are universal. I wouldn't call any retail job "good" but if someone's looking for something in retail then it really doesn't matter what you, I or others consider to be good.
takeshi74 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post

Christ, didn't know they paid minimum wage. You'd think they'd be less "cheap" than that. No wonder they have so many employees in one store. God damn.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14
AlphaHumanus
macrumors 6502

OP: 18

I'm kind of torn here. I feel as though I'd expect more of Apple, even just for the base customer relations jobs. But I want to work there. I want that blue shirt and name-tag. To be able to say that I AM apple. I met a Genius once at a party, I was so jealous. NOTHING beats when 8-9 people in a circle are shooting the **** and someone answers "what do you do?" with "I'm a genius."

*Sigh*

I'm blue collar(retail) as it is, so the work wouldn't be a "chore" for me in the least.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Many people cannot afford to be so fussy with their jobs, especially in this economic climate. I'd rather have a job than no job at all.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #16
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?,... No, I don't think I need to...
I suspect that this is a first job, in which case any job is a good job. You need work experience to get better jobs. Entry level jobs are, by definition, crap jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjobby View Post
Take it easy, a jobs a job regardless of what it is. ...
Good luck to the OP (or whoever they're posing the question for).
Yes. Since the question about minimum age, I am assuming that the job seeker does not have much job experience. I started at McDonalds. Didn't stay there, but the experiences I gained I used for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Many people cannot afford to be so fussy with their jobs, especially in this economic climate. I'd rather have a job than no job at all.
Yep. One job leads to another.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:41 PM   #17
SiriDV
macrumors newbie

I'm 17 and working at my local Apple Store. Yesterday was actually my first day on the floor. I absolutely love it.

Edit: I'm also on the east coast.

Last edited by SiriDV; Dec 4, 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: edit
SiriDV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #18
flameproof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't know in the USA, but the minimum age to work in one of the China factories will be 8.

For dangerous jobs such as coal mining it will be 10.
flameproof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:04 PM   #19
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
A job that pays a living wage.

Apple does not.

It explains why outside the Genuis bar, Apple retail workers are retards.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:01 PM   #20
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
one where you get some reward for selling up to 30,000 of goods for the company every week?
Don't they pay commission on sales? I thought that's what all sales jobs did.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:54 AM   #21
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Don't they pay commission on sales? I thought that's what all sales jobs did.
No, they don't actually!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:25 AM   #22
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No, they don't actually!
That's absurd, so you basically get minimum wage and that's it? Kinda glad I don't have an Apple Store near me to apply to for jobs now.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:12 AM   #23
AngryGerbil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Christ, didn't know they paid minimum wage. You'd think they'd be less "cheap" than that. No wonder they have so many employees in one store. God damn.
I work as an "At Home Adviser" and I was under the impression that everyone working in retail stores starts at $14 per hour (all of them recently got a raise). But we have a few ex-ARS on our team and you could not pay me enough to work in a store... sheer madness. It's bad enough dealing with consumers on the phone.. much less in person.
AngryGerbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:05 AM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
That's absurd, so you basically get minimum wage and that's it? Kinda glad I don't have an Apple Store near me to apply to for jobs now.
I'm pretty sure US Apple Store employees got a raise this year.... too much turnover. In minimum wage states this means that they will be over the minimum. In right to work states, this means they may still be below the national average, depending on where they started from.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Zutten
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I can only speak for myself. I get what is compared to 20 USD/hour and the double on weekends. 40 USD. At least I strongly disagree with the minimum wage bit. It's an awesome job, great pay.

But then again - if it weren't for the union i probably would have gotten minimum wage too.
Zutten is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion