Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
jent
macrumors 6502a

Question Connecting to Windows shared drive from Mac

I am on a Mac running Mountain Lion and at work there are several PCs with Windows XP SP3 Pro. My boss isn't sure what the username is, so when I click the shared drive under "Shared" in the sidebar of a Finder window I can't login. I have the password but not the username. How can I find the username from one of the PCs? Thanks!
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Rob.G
macrumors 6502

Are these PCs running in a domain? I'm guessing not.

Go to the PC, open Control Panel, look for Users, and you can find the usernames in there. Or make one for yourself. Be sure you give yourself Administrator privs on that machine (or machines) too.

Then you should be able to connect. If you give yourself an account using the same username and pw as on your Mac, you won't have to do a Connect As.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:38 PM   #3
jent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Go to the PC, open Control Panel, look for Users, and you can find the usernames in there.
Thanks! I typed in the user's full name because I couldn't find a username anywhere, but that worked.
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Tags
drive, networks, shared, windows, xp sp3