Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Apple rarely rejects Apps for being buggy - unless it's really obvious. How do you think Facebook got approved!?

Google does not reject Apps unless it explicitly knows that they are malicious or illegal.

That doesn't mean that the same App on Android is any less reliable than the App on iOS.

I don't think the higher quality of iOS apps has much to do with Apple's approval policies vs Google.

Instead, Apple set the bar for apps higher, and made it easier to reach that bar, right out of the gate. When they launched the App Store, they provided a comprehensive set of developer tools on Day 1. Developers were developing apps for ONE hardware configuration only. iOS was well-optimized to run those apps, with quick launching and plenty of stability. The app store got healthy and lucrative QUICKLY, and it never lost that momentum. This attracted hordes of developers who wanted to cash in.

Today, there are still a very limited number of hardware configurations that a developer needs to account for. That eliminates a lot of wasted development time and saves more time for making the app better.

The bar for app quality is very high in the iOS App Store. Every developer knows this. If you want to get noticed and get high sales, that app had better be very reliable and very polished. Otherwise you lose stars and disappear from view.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I love my iPhone. It does everything I need.

Many of my coworkers have migrated to Android and they CAN do things the iPhone cannot. Direct phone to phone wifi transfer of files/media is great. I wish I could participate.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I agree with you almost 100%. Very well said. Being one of those people that flashes ROMs I can say that a rooted phone with a good ROM and stable kernel over clocked will beat an iPhone every time in terms of pure speed. I do agree that the apps seem to be slightly more polished but I feel that is because of the integration with them only being designed for one phone with one operating system. I'm not a developer by any means but I do understand a lot more than the average person. One thing that Apple definitely has over Android is in their party accessories. Lol the amount of cases seem endless even for the 5...
I guess VZW/ATT reps should learn how to teach "average" people how to:
Root their phone
Find a stable ROM
Load a ROM
Maintain all of it

Simple.

gfunk1122

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Well that is completely off topic. The phone without root is totally capable as a device you just get added functionality and more customization with root. I would say a stock Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 are very comparable. Which ever one suits the individual better would be a fine choice.

The problem is there are Android people out there that will tell you Apple sucks and obviously vice versa. They are both excellent devices.

And to whoever mentioned NFC not being a big deal because it's not implemented in checkouts right now might not understand the full functionality of it. For instance I can put an NFC tag in my car and set up a task to turn on Bluetooth, turn on GPS, start streaming music and launch the navigation program that works flawlessly all by touching my phone to a sticker.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
If you want to, but the fact remains, the two most popular paid iOS Apps are free on Android.

No, the fact doesn't remain.

Android has a free app which you pay extra to remove ads
Apple has a paid for app with no ads, or you get the lite version which does have ads.

On either platform, free ad supported versions are available and you pay to remove ads. That's true of most of the apparent examples.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
On either platform, free ad supported versions are available and you pay to remove ads. That's true of most of the apparent examples.

Not the two I stated.

You can't get a free version of "Whatsapp" or "Angry Birds Star Wars" for iPhone.

I wonder if "Whatsapp" would be the #1 paid app if there was a free version for iOS...

I would download it for free, but it's not something I want to pay for.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
No, the fact doesn't remain.

Android has a free app which you pay extra to remove ads
Apple has a paid for app with no ads, or you get the lite version which does have ads.

umm most lite ones arent the full game?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The amount of misinformation spread around about android is equal to that spread around about the iPhone, if not more so. And all the hype around the s3 is justified. It's a great phone. The iPhone had its time to shine, and now it's someone else's turn. Nothing lasts forever. Not sure why its ok for hype to be generated around apple products, but not ok for other manufacturers. This is from someone who uses iOS as their daily driver.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I know what you mean OP. Even on this website live many Apple haters. I always have corrected people on Apple products, some turn out good others bad and mad.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
How can I install an iphone rom on my Motorola Startack? I am a bit confused...

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Well that is completely off topic. The phone without root is totally capable as a device you just get added functionality and more customization with root. I would say a stock Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 are very comparable. Which ever one suits the individual better would be a fine choice.

That's not true, I have both the SIII and the iPhone 5. With the SIII it starts running fine for the first week and then it starts to slow down and I always had to clear the memory. It didn't start running great until I rooted it and installed CM10. I agree they are both good devices but the SIII is not a good device unless it is rooted and a custom rom is installed.

gfunk1122

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I am just saying for the average consumer the phone is better than most anything they have ever used. I ran stock for about a week and my phone did not slow down and I had roughly 100 apps downloaded. Obviously it was faster and "cooler" per say once rooted but it was fine nonetheless. Don't get me started on "Droids." They are in a whole other level and I don't mean that in a good way. Lol.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Well, but the Droids have a keyboard and the iphones dont. If you use the phone for work, you better have a bb or a Droid. Iphones are great for gamers. I cant understand why a gamer will buy an android. The touch screen experience on an android is painfull in comparison with that of the iphone.

bfederspill

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
After having Android phones for years I decided to buy an iPhone (3s) to see if I would like it. After 2 months I sold it to my sister and went back to my Droid 1 because of the lack of features that iPhone had. The lack of a microphone for texting and emailing drove me nuts (I hate typing) also having to wait until I got home to plug it into my computer just to delete a photo that I received from an email was a little much. The back button, the widgets and such was what I was used to with my android phone.
I'm sure the iPhone 5 is a great phone from what I've seen through friends of mine who have one but I don't see myself ever going back to an iPhone. I now have a Razr Maxx which is the best phone I've ever had.
It's all about personal preference and what is right for you. I've recommended Android phones and iPhones to my family and friends who asked me which they should get, it's all about what you want out of your phone.
Just my 2¢.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Well, but the Droids have a keyboard and the iphones dont. If you use the phone for work, you better have a bb or a Droid. Iphones are great for gamers. I cant understand why a gamer will buy an android. The touch screen experience on an android is painfull in comparison with that of the iphone.

Huh? What touch screen experience? Are you comparing a $100 Chinese no brand name tablet to your iPhone?

If anything, gamers should go for Android... With the modern Androids, they can play NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX using a USB/Bluetooth gamepad.

----------

I usually always suggest the iPhone to my friends. The iPhone 5 is the only I cannot bring myself to suggest. I just tell them to go for the 4S. Those that should/really want to get the Android don't need advice and they won't have the iPhone as an option most of the time.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If anything, gamers should go for Android... With the modern Androids, they can play NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX using a USB/Bluetooth gamepad.

Android is for Gamers because it's easier to pirate stuff! I'm surprised Google hasn't promoted that slogan yet. :D

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Android is for Gamers because it's easier to pirate stuff! I'm surprised Google hasn't promoted that slogan yet. :D

No because there is a bigger library... A lot of people pirate apps/games on the iPhone too.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No because there is a bigger library...

Way to backtrack. iOS has more and better legitimate games available.

A lot of people pirate apps/games on the iPhone too.

Cool story. You were the one that suggested that Android is better for gamers because it was easier to pirate games.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Way to backtrack. iOS has more and better legitimate games available.

Cool story. You were the one that suggested that Android is better for gamers because it was easier to pirate games.

When did I ever suggest that? Using ROMs is not always pirating. Don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I love my iPhone. It does everything I need.

Many of my coworkers have migrated to Android and they CAN do things the iPhone cannot. Direct phone to phone wifi transfer of files/media is great. I wish I could participate.

A bunch of apps can do that on iOS. Check out File Explorer (they also have a free version)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fileexplorer/id499470113?mt=8

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Of course it is. Again, your just backtracking.

How am I backtracking? When did I ever say Android is better for gamers because it is easier to pirate?

Typical BaldiMac, always doing your best to shoot down anything that is not Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.