Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fides

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I am getting the 13 inch MBP, just wanted to know whether I should purchase right now or wait till boxing day for additional discounts. Also is it a good buy, considering that it is for university, research based projects, mid level video and photo editing (going to eventually build a desktop if I find it becoming more in depth)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Depends upon where you plan to purchase your MBP from.

The base 13 MBP will do exactly what you need. Good choice!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I am getting the 13 inch MBP, just wanted to know whether I should purchase right now or wait till boxing day for additional discounts. Also is it a good buy, considering that it is for university, research based projects, mid level video and photo editing (going to eventually build a desktop if I find it becoming more in depth)

For photo editing, you ought to be fine. For mid-level video editing, you might want to move up to the 15", but it really depends on the specifics. Certainly simply cutting footage will be fine on the 13", but any kind of effects processing or color correction probably shouldn't be done on a Mac bearing only integrated graphics.

That being said, if you go to the Apple Store for Education you still get a pretty sizable discount, probably more than most places will do for Boxing Day, so there's really no point in waiting, especially as we're now heading into the middle of the lifecycle of the current crop of MacBook Pros. Also, if you have a vested interest in non-retina MacBook Pros versus any other kind of Apple laptop, be warned that this iteration is likely the last one.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I am getting the 13 inch MBP, just wanted to know whether I should purchase right now or wait till boxing day for additional discounts. Also is it a good buy, considering that it is for university, research based projects, mid level video and photo editing

The biggest question, not asked in this thread, is whether to have a SSD or traditional hard disk. The MBA might be a better choice if you don't need the additional ports, but want the better disk speed (for approximately the same cost) - this may give you a more balanced system, as would adding a third party SSD to the MBP. I doubt whether there will be significant discounts after Christmas (at least in the UK), although you may see small discounts at the big department stores.

HTH

Last edited:

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I have just bought the same laptop, but think it is a bit sluggish. Could anyone advise if this memory is compatible. Also have searched but most of the UK deals on memory are old - does this look a keen price?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZINK0S/

In all honesty, that is not a great price, but neither is it the correct memory for this Mac. The best way to find memory appropriate for any computer is to use the crucial tool http://www.crucial.com/

This gives you the correct memory for your computer. Armed with this info you can shop around on Amazon for the best memory for you. (A note of warning though: go for good quality branded memory such as that from Kingston, Corsair or Crucial)

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
In all honesty, that is not a great price, but neither is it the correct memory for this Mac. The best way to find memory appropriate for any computer is to use the crucial tool http://www.crucial.com/

This gives you the correct memory for your computer. Armed with this info you can shop around on Amazon for the best memory for you. (A note of warning though: go for good quality branded memory such as that from Kingston, Corsair or Crucial)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...Intel Core i5 (13-inch DDR3) Mid-2012&Cat=RAM

The above link is what Crucial UK suggests. A little more than the Amazon quote but not substantially.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...Intel Core i5 (13-inch DDR3) Mid-2012&Cat=RAM

The above link is what Crucial UK suggests. A little more than the Amazon quote but not substantially.

Yes, however the memory you linked to was desktop DRAM, whereas the MacBook Pro accepts only SDRAM (in common with all other notebook computers).

The best way to go about this is now to search Amazon with the specifications of the memory suggested by crucial. This ensures that you get the correct memory at a good price.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
OP: Since you're eligible for the student discount, there's no need to wait for boxing day, you'll get it for basically the same price today. Once you upgrade the memory and replace the HD with an SSD, that little MBP is an amazing machine. Just make sure you do the upgrades yourself, both together will take you about 20 minutes and cost about 1/4th of Apple's pricing.

Yes, however the memory you linked to was desktop DRAM, whereas the MacBook Pro accepts only SDRAM (in common with all other notebook computers).

It's all SDRAM.

I think you meant to say it's DIMM while the notebooks use SODIMM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.