Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
jack2wai2
macrumors member

Macbook Air Battery =(

Hi all. MY MBA 2011 just celebrated its 1-year-old b'day. What I can say is that I always glad that I made the decision to buy this.

However, just gone through 109 cycles, the battery health dropped to 87%. Is it a normal thing to happen? It kind of bother me because my MBA is on the go laptop for me.

Any comment or help are much appreciated.
jack2wai2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Battery health fluctuates, my 2009 MBP now has over 400 cycles and I went from 99% to 93% to 87% and now 94% (or 91% today) battery health.
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
skinny*k
macrumors regular

Jack, any software that reports “battery health” is only making guesstimates, and they are meant to give you some rough idea of the state of your battery; don’t worry until the numbers are consistantly real low.

That said, LiPo batteries begin to break-down as soon as they are first charged-up, and can be expected to become unusable anytime after 3 to 5 years. The best that you can do to get maximum life and performance out of them use them properly, and take care of them as the manufacturers recommend.

If using your MBA away from a power source is critical to you, an external battery is something that you might give some thought to—it will also pay off when circumstances simply don’t allow a recharge, where a battery problem is not the cause.
skinny*k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Is it possible to run a MBA off an external battery all the time, such as in the case of when the internal battery dies/needs replacing?

Also, that seems like a lot of cycles for one year. I had a MBP for 4 years and didn't even reach 270 cycles.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Also, that seems like a lot of cycles for one year. I had a MBP for 4 years and didn't even reach 270 cycles.
Depends on how often you use your computer on batteries. I have a 2012 MBA from release and I've already got 164 cycles. (I am rarely plugged in at home. Right now, I'm sitting on the couch with no cord in sight.)
AlanShutko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:11 PM   #6
jack2wai2
macrumors member

Your Battery Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanShutko View Post
Depends on how often you use your computer on batteries. I have a 2012 MBA from release and I've already got 164 cycles. (I am rarely plugged in at home. Right now, I'm sitting on the couch with no cord in sight.)
Alan, may I know current battery health?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
yangchewren
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2wai2 View Post
Hi all. MY MBA 2011 just celebrated its 1-year-old b'day. What I can say is that I always glad that I made the decision to buy this.

However, just gone through 109 cycles, the battery health dropped to 87%. Is it a normal thing to happen? It kind of bother me because my MBA is on the go laptop for me.

Any comment or help are much appreciated.
It is normal. I would say that I have noticed that battery health on all unibody integrated battery macs (2009 MBP onwards) degrade much quicker across time. This is sharply contrasted to my older macs which registered 90%+ battery life after 200 charge cycles.

Back to the topic: I have a 2011 MBA at 117 battery cycles, 16 mths with 89% health.
yangchewren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:57 AM   #8
skinny*k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is it possible to run a MBA off an external battery all the time, such as in the case of when the internal battery dies/needs replacing?
Yes.

Last edited by skinny*k; Dec 4, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Messes upquote.
skinny*k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:39 AM   #9
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
Quote:

Doesn't seem that much to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	381411  
xparaparafreakx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:30 AM   #10
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2wai2 View Post
alan, may i know current battery health?
91%.
AlanShutko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
jack2wai2
macrumors member

Smile Couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny*k View Post
Jack, any software that reports “battery health” is only making guesstimates, and they are meant to give you some rough idea of the state of your battery; don’t worry until the numbers are consistantly real low.

That said, LiPo batteries begin to break-down as soon as they are first charged-up, and can be expected to become unusable anytime after 3 to 5 years. The best that you can do to get maximum life and performance out of them use them properly, and take care of them as the manufacturers recommend.

If using your MBA away from a power source is critical to you, an external battery is something that you might give some thought to—it will also pay off when circumstances simply don’t allow a recharge, where a battery problem is not the cause.

My battery health went back to 89% d lol
Couldn't be happier. But, I wish seeing it at 90%
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
oldtime
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparaparafreakx View Post
Doesn't seem that much to me.
Above 80% is pretty awesome for a 5 year old battery with 1718 cycles. I guess they really do hold up better with regular exercise.
oldtime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air