Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wantingrefcheck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I spend hours and hours checking that the in-text citations in my (university) students' academic papers match the list of references at the end.

There are programs and apps that help authors store, manage and cite bibliographic material, but most students don't use them. Academic staff have to assess and give feedback on the accuracy of students' referencing. We have to do this manually at present: This means taking one in-text citation at a time and scrolling through to the list at the end to check if it's there. Back to next in-text citation and repeat ad nauseum (typical student paper has 20+ citations, and we have hundreds of papers to mark in short time). Programs to do this exist MS windows, but there doesn't seem to be an ipad app that will do this checking.

I am not at all tech savvy, so if anyone knows how I can do this (easily/simply) on the ipad it would make a boggle-eyed academic very happy :)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Yes, I'd love that app, too, but I don't think it exists. Two things I do:

iAnnotate has a set mark/return to mark feature, which makes that kind of scrolling much easier. I've written more about it here.

I also sometimes use the search function instead of scrolling - this gives a quick indication of whether the reference exists in the bibliography.

Finally, run an EndNote session for them - my experience is that students love bibliographic tools once they are made aware of them/ figure out the added value.

What programs do you use for this on Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.