Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:30 PM   #76
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
When did I ever suggest that? Using ROMs is not always pirating. Don't put words in my mouth.
Downloading ROMs is illegal, at least in the US.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/are-video-...07.html?cat=15

The "Personal backup" argument hasn't worked in the RIAA lawsuits about downloaded music, why do you think it will work with ROMs?

In any case, lets get back to the topic. Both platforms can download games illegally, as you stated, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:30 PM   #77
Fudd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Please provide at least one example of "NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX" ROMs that can be obtained without pirating.
Fudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:31 PM   #78
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Lean what a ROM is, learn what pirating is, and learn to stay out of topics you know nothing about. Using ROMS is not always piracy.
If you do not own a copy of the game that you have the rom fr then it's considered pirating and how many people actually own the games they have the Roms for?

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 4, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #79
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
If you do not own a copy of the game that you have the rom fr then it's considered pirating and how many people actually own the games they have the Roms for?
I do. It is so easy to dump a PSX game
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog || Focalitic Forums
Macbook Pro 13 - Dell XPS 15 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8 (Gathering dust because of iPad )
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #80
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
If you do not own a copy of the game that you have the rom fr then it's considered pirating and how many people actually own the games they have the Roms for?
It's illegal even if you own the game. Look it up if you don't believe me
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:46 PM   #81
itjw
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Of course it is. Again, your just backtracking.
This.

I love how pirates try to pretend they aren't stealing and that rooting/jailbreaking isn't PRIMARILY for piracy...

It's really ok, they don't have to pretend, no one believes they really own copies of every ROM they download. It's a joke. If they ever released a jailbreak/root that didn't allow piracy, no one would want it lol...

And yes, it is FAR easier to root and pirate on an Android. The iPhone 5 still hasn't been jailbroken (neither has the AppleTV, or most devices (untethered) on 6.0 and up for iOS). Developers know this, and take it into account when it comes to whom they spend more effort on.

Then there's fragmentation... Android has more fragmentation than my wife's hard drive (and that's a LOT of fragmentation...). Apple has a handful of devices, all basically running the same OS (and developers can force you to update before you can use the app if they want).

It is what it is. Were it not for the iPhone I would own a Droid of some sort. Luckily for me, there is. I don't have to settle for a plastic monstrosity that may or may not get the next update before it is totally outdated by the next phone 3 months later.

It's great!

itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:50 PM   #82
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
iPhone 5 = $649.99
Samsung Galaxy S3 = $649.99

Huh. Neat.
Ok, then the prices differ much from country to country. Here in Sweden, the lowest available price at the moment for an unlocked phone without contract are different; iPhone 5 16GB = $903 and the SIII GB = $678 (and HTC One X 32GB = $601) and for the earlier models (4S = $723 vs SII = $450). It has almost always been at least $200 more for the latest iPhone compared to the latest/best Android phone at the moment.
Nale72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:50 PM   #83
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
This.

I love how pirates try to pretend they aren't stealing and that rooting/jailbreaking isn't PRIMARILY for piracy...

It's really ok, they don't have to pretend, no one believes they really own copies of every ROM they download. It's a joke. If they ever released a jailbreak/root that didn't allow piracy, no one would want it lol...
Why would you need to root to pirate an App on Android?

You don't know what you're talking about.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:56 PM   #84
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Either your trolling or clueless. Lean what a ROM is, learn what pirating is, and learn to stay out of topics you know nothing about. Using ROMS is not always piracy.
Where did those ROMS originate? I'm sure game companies are okay with us extracting ROMs from game cards. ROMs (for the most part) are all pirated. Now, the people who uses ROMs BUT ALSO own a physical copy of the game itself are few and rare. Even so, it's a gray area of law. Even if I own say a physical Blu-Ray of whatever movie doesn't mean that if I have a pirate copy of it on my hard drive is okay. Seriously, YOU learn what a ROM is, what pirating is and learn to shut up unless you have correct information to share.

Back to the topic of this thread, I do think people have misconceptions about Apple and invariably more so than Android. I have people tell me you can't text message on an iPhone. Someone told me you can't run apps on it (this was iPhone 4 time). Or that you can't put your own music on it except for iTunes bought music. The worst one I've heard so far is that you can't buy the on-contract iPhone in an Apple Store. It's the worst because she loves iPhone but knows NOTHING about it. She didn't know what 4G/3G was, that it had WiFi, that you can use the Internet, etc. Some people are ignorant but hey ignorance is bliss right? That's what I say to all the Android owners who thinks Android is better (SARCASM, JOKING, NOT SERIOUS, PLEASE DON'T START A FLAME WAR)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
Downloading ROMs is illegal, at least in the US.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/are-video-...07.html?cat=15

The "Personal backup" argument hasn't worked in the RIAA lawsuits about downloaded music, why do you think it will work with ROMs?

In any case, lets get back to the topic. Both platforms can download games illegally, as you stated, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.
It works because video game companies aren't are persistent as music labels. But that doesn't detract from the fact that both are piracy.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:57 PM   #85
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
How am I backtracking? When did I ever say Android is better for gamers because it is easier to pirate?
When you said "If anything, gamers should go for Android... With the modern Androids, they can play NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX using a USB/Bluetooth gamepad."

Your only argument for why gamers should choose Android is pirated software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Either your trolling or clueless. Lean what a ROM is, learn what pirating is, and learn to stay out of topics you know nothing about. Using ROMS is not always piracy.
I'm neither trolling or clueless. I know what a ROM is and I know what piracy is.

For more information:
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:04 PM   #86
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
It seems as though hating Apple is just the thing to do these days.

Notice how many attack ads come out against Apple. When the Motorola Droid was new, Motorola constantly ran ads attacking the iPhone and promoting it's Droid. The torch slowly passed over to T-Mobile/HTC and Samsung today who constantly attack the iPhone. Notice how Apple doesn't run any ads attacking their competitors, just showcasing their phone, while T-Mobile/HTC/Samsung spend more time talking about the iPhone than they do their own phones!

People are too tied up in specs. The other day my friend was bragging about how much better his phone (An HTC I think) was with it's quad-core processor and 2GB of Ram and how it blew the iPhone out of the water. When we tried out the same apps he was shocked how much more fluid and smooth the apps ran on the iPhone and also how much better pictures turned out, and how much better 3D was rendered. People have had it engraved in their mind that better specs = better device. It's like cars. You can have a super powerful 600HP engine loaded with options but if your car is heavy it's going to take more to get going, meanwhile the driver in the 200HP Lotus Elise is running laps around you because as it's less powerful, it's more nimble and lightweight and down to the point, and therefore runs better. The iPhone is like the Lotus, it has the minimums of what a smartphone needs. Other Android phones are going to be the heavy vehicle, with lots of bells and whistles and power, but those bells and whistles slow it down. Even my Nexus 7, which is one of the top of the line tablets with an Nvidia Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM and has STOCK android features (no OEM BS) STILL falls short in terms of raw performance to my iPhone 4S.

I love Android, I love iOS (I also love Windows Phone). What it should be all based on is people's personal opinion and what they like, but sadly all these people are just being guided by biased people/fallacious information by others. Wether it's out of spite, or just true ignorance, it's still happening.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Either your trolling or clueless. Lean what a ROM is, learn what pirating is, and learn to stay out of topics you know nothing about. Using ROMS is not always piracy.
The only time a ROM would not be illegal is if it's a program/game written completely from the ground up (i.e. not based on any other copyrighted material).

Hacked/Patched games that make it act like something else is still piracy.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.0.2 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.0.2

chrf097 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:07 PM   #87
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh995 View Post
From what I've read from other users and experienced iOS apps are more stable. I don't miss all the force closes and freezing of apps on my S3.

iOS app standards are higher than the ones made for Android. Like you said, devs put more effort into the iOS version.

And about the phone pricing, IDK about that. I paid $650 off contract for my Galaxy S3 when I bought it. Same price of the iPhone 5. Yeah, you get extra features inside the S3 and it's a solid phone, but the build quality is nowhere near as good.
I know that you read all over that iOS apps are more stable, but apparently that report that is based from actual app crashes says otherwise.

From my own experience, I very seldom had apps force close on me (HTC Hero, HTC Desire Z, Xperia Ray). But maybe I was only lucky or it depends on what you install? I have at least just as many apps throwing me out and freezing on my new iPhone 5 (e-mail and tapatalk comes to mind at first) so far. I thought I would never have to experience frozen apps or apps crashing with my new iPhone, but that's not what I've been experiencing so far at least.

About the prices, well, it just have to be different in different countries, as I just wrote above.

About build quality, I'm still not convinced bearing in mind all threads here and all around the web about scuffs, bends and clicking displays etc. So far I have just gotten one single flake off my shamfer, under the silicone case/bumper that has been there from day one, and not any other hw issues so far.

I don't know how widespread these issues are, but I find it somewhat disturbing that many on this forum acts as scuffed phones right out of the boxes is something that we should accept and even expect, which is so far from my expectations when I jumped ship to test "the other side".

I still think my new iPhone 5 is very nice, but I expected a little bit more. I miss some things from my Android phones, but like other things better on the iPhone. I'm still not convinced on what my next phone will be in a year or two.
Nale72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:20 PM   #88
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
It seems as though hating Apple is just the thing to do these days.

Notice how many attack ads come out against Apple. When the Motorola Droid was new, Motorola constantly ran ads attacking the iPhone and promoting it's Droid. The torch slowly passed over to T-Mobile/HTC and Samsung today who constantly attack the iPhone. Notice how Apple doesn't run any ads attacking their competitors, just showcasing their phone, while T-Mobile/HTC/Samsung spend more time talking about the iPhone than they do their own phones!

People are too tied up in specs. The other day my friend was bragging about how much better his phone (An HTC I think) was with it's quad-core processor and 2GB of Ram and how it blew the iPhone out of the water. When we tried out the same apps he was shocked how much more fluid and smooth the apps ran on the iPhone and also how much better pictures turned out, and how much better 3D was rendered. People have had it engraved in their mind that better specs = better device. It's like cars. You can have a super powerful 600HP engine loaded with options but if your car is heavy it's going to take more to get going, meanwhile the driver in the 200HP Lotus Elise is running laps around you because as it's less powerful, it's more nimble and lightweight and down to the point, and therefore runs better. The iPhone is like the Lotus, it has the minimums of what a smartphone needs. Other Android phones are going to be the heavy vehicle, with lots of bells and whistles and power, but those bells and whistles slow it down. Even my Nexus 7, which is one of the top of the line tablets with an Nvidia Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM and has STOCK android features (no OEM BS) STILL falls short in terms of raw performance to my iPhone 4S.

I love Android, I love iOS (I also love Windows Phone). What it should be all based on is people's personal opinion and what they like, but sadly all these people are just being guided by biased people/fallacious information by others. Wether it's out of spite, or just true ignorance, it's still happening.

----------



The only time a ROM would not be illegal is if it's a program/game written completely from the ground up (i.e. not based on any other copyrighted material).

Hacked/Patched games that make it act like something else is still piracy.
Good thing I said using ROMS is not ALWAYS piracy then isn't it?
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:25 PM   #89
itjw
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Why would you need to root to pirate an App on Android?

You don't know what you're talking about.
So you can illegally pirate everything on Android on the bone stock firmware?

Sweet! You're right, didn't know that!



----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Good thing I said using ROMS is not ALWAYS piracy then isn't it?
Cool semantics brah...

Samsung didn't ALWAYS copy Apple either

(see what I did there?)
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #90
naisdes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I work for a major mobile phone retailer in the UK and I get this everyday too. I had a regular customer of mine who had problems with her previous phones and wanted to move up and get her first smartphone. I recommended an iPhone after talking about her needs and ease of use. She seemed pretty sold on it.

Then she came in again another day to ask me more about the plans themselves, but what do you know, her 'friend' tags along, and he wouldn't shut up about Android.

The next and last time I saw her, she only had gone and bought a HTC Desire S based on his friend's 'opinion', and I spent a good hour or two showing her how to use the phone and why certain things had to be done a certain way. I could tell she was already regretting it and she probably hasn't returned since out of shame!

The thing I find with online forums is that most users have higher than average technological knowledge, and don't necessarily represent your average customer who walks into the shop. It's all very well to recommend this and that phone cos it comes with a quad core Snapdragon 1.5Ghz processor with 8MP Carl Zeiss camera and a 4.7" Super AMOLED display because we all know what it means, but does the average customer? Many of them will have never used a smartphone before.

Bottom line is that I don't care whether iPhone, Android or heck even Blackberry is the best or not. But I have a duty to make sure people get the phone that is BEST for them. So when you get people blindly led by bias, I have no hesitation to set them right.

Last edited by naisdes; Dec 3, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
naisdes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:38 PM   #91
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
So you can illegally pirate everything on Android on the bone stock firmware?

Sweet! You're right, didn't know that!



----------



Cool semantics brah...

Samsung didn't ALWAYS copy Apple either

(see what I did there?)
Yup .
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:00 PM   #92
Fudd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
This may be US-centric but one thing I've noticed that some of my older relatives who own iPhones end up just asking their friends, coworkers, janitor, random dude in a line etc. for help with the phone just because there are so many people around who own one of the models and since they're all using iOS, its pretty easy to get it fixed. At least I've never been asked for phone help but I still get asked for PC help.

That combined with so many Apple stores around the country and excellent support makes it a pretty easy decision overall.

Ideally, I wish they would add a Razr Maxx sized battery to the next iPhone. :P
Fudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:09 PM   #93
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Wow, this thread about misinformation ended up spewing an unbelievable load of BS.

Vanilla Android is smooth and nice to use. Free apps may have ads, but that's what your ad blockers are for. Apps don't really force close very much on either OS, and I'm using a 4S and Galaxy Nexus. Etc, etc, etc.

Just because there's misinformation about Apple products doesn't mean that you should start spewing inverse misinformation about Android products. Both make the speaker sound ignorant (because they are) and blind to the truth (because they are).
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1500/3505MHz)
w00t951 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:01 PM   #94
Sean4123
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk1122 View Post
Well I also work for a large cell phone company here and I can agree and disagree with you. I have been on Android since day 1 with the g1. I have also rooted every phone I have ever had. I just bought an iPhone 5.

To say Android sucks is just ignorant. It is a much more capable OS and has always been quite a bit ahead of iOS in terms of functionality. When you see all of these people jailbreak their iPhones most of the things they do are add things that are common to Android such as widgets and toggles and such.

Now don't get me wrong I like this phone. The things I do like about it are the design, the camera and the functionality between other iPhones. The apps are very well designed and everything seems to work the way it should. The screen is also very nice and looks great. The things I don't like about it should be fixed with software updates especially the maps. I was in Philadelphia this weekend and had never been there before and needed directions. It worked half the time and the other half of the time it sent me to dead ends and definitely out of the way. I also hate the settings on the phone. If I want to turn on wifi and I'm in an app I have to exit the app, go to settings, go to wifi, turn it on, go home and go back to the app. In Android I can swipe my notification bar down and turn it on. I have adjusted to the keyboard but some of the Android ones are quite a bit better. I hate not having short cut keys to numbers and punctuation. I find that very inconvenient and definitely slows down texting.

Reading through a lot of these forums I do feel people are just going to bash whatever they don't have or aren't familiar with. It goes both ways. I miss the customization of Android and the screen size. Other than that I am pretty happy with the iPhone. It is an excellent design and works very well. On Verizon they need to fix the time bug (of which I don't have or at least haven't noticed it yet) and the wifi issues of which I don't have either.

My main point of all of this is both Android and iOS have their advantages and work really well. With Android you have to understand it a little bit more and that is why I sell more iPhones than I do Android devices because for the common person that I sell a device too it is a better fit. It definitely takes longer to do things with iOS but the average person can't mess anything up.

So stop saying Android sucks and Apple people are geniuses when it is a less capable device...although a very very nice one. ;-)

Go ahead and flame away for saying it is a less capable device. Remember I truly like my iPhone. But until an iPhone has NFC, can autocorrect for capitalization in voice commands for most known words, faster ways of multitasking, some customization and better integration with non iOS devices the iPhone will still be one of the top phones on the market and not the top phone on the market. Another thing that totally sucks about it is the contacts. Good lord there is Nothing you can do with it. Lol. I will look forward to any replies on my shiny new iPhone 5. :-P
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

It is absolutely true that Android offers a more open system for customizing your phone and making it more comfortable to use.

The bottom line for me though, and most people is this:

Apps are king and consistent updates are important.

Android lacks both in a bad, bad way.

Every other week there is an HD, plus, or squared version of the phone you just bought (for Android) and this just fragments the operating system even more.

Top that off with poor battery life for a lot of the phones along with bugs and spyware popping up, and that leaves me with a headache. I'm tired of trying to fix 6 month old Android phones for people that have no business owning an Android phone.

I love the customization, but its just not enough to get over the flaws, yet.

Oh, and I also wanted to point out that it wasn't me that said Android sucks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Because you're lying to them.

If you look at the most popular Apps for Android and iOS - things like Angry Birds, Whatsapp etc., they ARE free on Android.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400636,00.asp

Do your d*** research first before spouting off to me.

You named off two apps.

More misinformation, folks. Gotta love it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Maybe the 99 cents is too much. If that's the case they can leave the AT&T store and get it at Verizon. They have it for free with a 2 year contract.
99 cents means nothing to people. Trust me.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #95
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400636,00.asp

Do your d*** research first before spouting off to me.

You named off two apps.

More misinformation, folks. Gotta love it.
What does that prove? Absolutely nothing.

You're not comparing the same Apps.

The top 100 on Android is not the same as the top 100 on iOS.

You also can't read your own article:

"The top paid apps in Google's Android Market are priced "dramatically higher," than those in Apple's App Store"

How does that in any way relate to some Apps being free on Android, but being paid on iOS?

It just doesn't.

Some tips:

1) Double check that your source is actually supporting YOUR argument, not someone else's.

2) Don't resort to unnecessary insults if you haven't checked your own post for inaccuracy.

My point is simple. If you want Angry Birds Star Wars on iOS, you have to pay for it. If you want Whatsapp, you have to pay for it.

The same is not true on Android.

As these are the top two Apps on the iOS App Store RIGHT NOW, I'd imagine that people do care about those Apps, so you can't just dismiss this.

I have friends that laugh at me when I say "I bought the latest Angry Birds".
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by Daveoc64; Dec 3, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #96
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What does that prove? Absolutely nothing.

You're not comparing the same Apps.

The top 100 on Android is not the same as the top 100 on iOS.

You also can't read your own article:

"The top paid apps in Google's Android Market are priced "dramatically higher," than those in Apple's App Store"

How does that in any way relate to some Apps being free on Android, but being paid on iOS?

It just doesn't.

Some tips:

1) Double check that your source is actually supporting YOUR argument, not someone else's.

2) Don't resort to unnecessary insults if you haven't checked your own post for inaccuracy.

My point is simple. If you want Angry Birds Star Wars on iOS, you have to pay for it. If you want Whatsapp, you have to pay for it.

The same is not true on Android.

As these are the top two Apps on the iOS App Store RIGHT NOW, I'd imagine that people do care about those Apps, so you can't just dismiss this.

I have friends that laugh at me when I say "I bought the latest Angry Birds".
Laugh at you? Even when i had my android phones i still purchased all the angry birds because those damn ads took up a good part of the screen. I prefer a clean app with no ads.

And by the way before you start throwing out misinformation as well, there are free Angry birds apps in the app store as well. Type Angry birds free and they are the full games just with ads, just like the android market.

And one major benefit of iOS over Android is the Malware. Remember the whole Angry Birds Space debacle on Android Market?
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #97
Sean4123
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What does that prove? Absolutely nothing.

You're not comparing the same Apps.

The top 100 on Android is not the same as the top 100 on iOS.

You also can't read your own article:

"The top paid apps in Google's Android Market are priced "dramatically higher," than those in Apple's App Store"

How does that in any way relate to some Apps being free on Android, but being paid on iOS?

It just doesn't.

Some tips:

1) Double check that your source is actually supporting YOUR argument, not someone else's.

2) Don't resort to unnecessary insults if you haven't checked your own post for inaccuracy.

My point is simple. If you want Angry Birds Star Wars on iOS, you have to pay for it. If you want Whatsapp, you have to pay for it.

The same is not true on Android.

As these are the top two Apps on the iOS App Store RIGHT NOW, I'd imagine that people do care about those Apps, so you can't just dismiss this.

I have friends that laugh at me when I say "I bought the latest Angry Birds".


This is what I said, buddy:

"A bunch of others told me that all the Android apps are "free" and the Apple apps cost more money. When I tell them that the apps that cost money usually cost more on Android, they get mad. They also fail to realize that all those "free" Android apps are free for a reason. Most of them suck."

Did you see that part where I brought up the apps that cost money?

It's hilarious how you bring up two apps in your argument, and also mention the fact that they are top apps in the app store right now, so they must be important, yet shrug off the top apps on Android costing more.

They are the TOP APPS in the Google Play store so obviously comparing top apps between the two matters.

I have a Galaxy SIII and an iPhone 5 next to me, looking up top apps for iOS on Android and guess what? Hardly any of the games/top apps on iOS are even on Android!

Do you know why? Because App developers don't have as much faith in Android users because they pirate, there are too many versions of Android, and most Android users don't buy apps. It's as simple as that.

You're obviously going to argue with everything. I provide a legit article and you flip it around, going back to free content.

Obviously with Angry Birds, thats an anomaly. Either way, Android apps that COST, usually cost more, as the article points out.

P.S. using the word damn isn't an insult, but I assume you'll argue that point too.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:27 PM   #98
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
I don't really care where it ends up. I just wanted to let some like minded individuals in on my day to day.
Man, thanks. A lot of us were wondering!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk1122 View Post
When you see all of these people jailbreak their iPhones most of the things they do are add things that are common to Android such as widgets and toggles and such.
Really? You did a study? You have no clue why people jailbreak. I agree with some of what you said but don't speak opinion and call it fact.

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 3, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #99
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Laugh at you? Even when i had my android phones i still purchased all the angry birds because those damn ads took up a good part of the screen. I prefer a clean app with no ads.

And by the way before you start throwing out misinformation as well, there are free Angry birds apps in the app store as well. Type Angry birds free and they are the full games just with ads, just like the android market.
Not the game I stated (nor Bad Piggies).

Yes, the ads are terrible in the Free Android version...

You get the same sort of ad in the paid version on iOS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-04-03-27-45.png
Views:	15
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	381379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-04-03-27-54.png
Views:	14
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	381380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-04-03-28-09.png
Views:	17
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	381381  

__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #100
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
You're obviously going to argue with everything. I provide a legit article and you flip it around, going back to free content.
I don't argue with things unless I think they're wrong.

In this case, I think that your point (which I understand clearer now) is valid, but I don't think it's an important one.

Most people will care about these Apps that are popular. Most people I know don't actually buy paid Apps.

It actually ANNOYS me that these are Free on Android, but aren't on iOS.

It's a good thing for Android users, but bad for an iOS user like me.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch 5 Misinformation Plutonius iPod touch 7 Nov 26, 2013 08:50 PM
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) Mjasa iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 14, 2013 07:25 AM
Lost storage on SSD and misinformation enisala MacBook Air 16 Jun 30, 2013 09:27 AM
The Truth About Android (Misinformation) w00t951 Wasteland 184 Jul 17, 2012 07:12 AM
Misinformation from Apple about RMBP? Nd1993 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 13, 2012 06:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC