Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we noted that the iTunes Music Store had gone live in Russia and Turkey, but now that changes have propagated throughout iTunes and we've had time to collect reports, it now appears that Apple is selling music through the iTunes Store in 56 new countries. The additions nearly double the number of countries in which the iTunes Music Store operates.

itunes_store_music_new_countries.jpg
The new countries include:

- Europe: Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine

- Africa, the Middle East and India: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, India, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Swaziland, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, Zimbabwe

- Asia Pacific: Fiji, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

- Latin America and the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago

Beyond music, four of the new countries have also seen Apple roll out access to movies: India, Indonesia, Russia, and Turkey.

Update 9:08 PM: Apple has published a press release confirming that it has launched the iTunes Store in 56 new countries.

Article Link: iTunes Music Store Launches in 56 New Countries, Movies Arrive in Four

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
So happy to see Apple expand music stores. Now if they can bring iBooks and Videos to all of these countries.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Sooo cool

And that's great. Believe me. But Apple, when are you gonna roll out iTunes Gift Cards in my country? ¬¬

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
As a US resident, it baffles me how long it has taken to roll out to some of these countries. I mean we have had the iTunes Music Store for over 9 years over here! Licensing just must be a real pain.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It many of these countries people can't even afford a normal mobile phone let alone an iPhone.:eek:

You don't need an iPhone to buy music on iTunes.

BTW iTunes has been the largest music retailer in the US for over 4 years now, and now sells more music than all US CD retailers combined. Those people may want to ditch CDs without resorting to piracy too.

kriebe

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Irvine, CA
When did Russia and Turkey become European? They are definitely on the continental side of Asia. You could say they are part of Eurasia, but definitely not Europe.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So happy to see Apple expand music stores. Now if they can bring iBooks and Videos to all of these countries.

Give them time.

Hopefully this is the start of a bigger roll out of global releases, especially for video. If the studios would go with releasing globally after first release they might see a drop in casual torrent use. Especially if quality go up and pricing comes down. No TV show is worth $4.99 an episode and there are very few that can't be done in at least 720 if not 1080.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You don't need an iPhone to buy music on iTunes.

BTW iTunes has been the largest music retailer in the US for over 4 years now, and now sells more music than all US CD retailers combined. Those people may want to ditch CDs without resorting to piracy too.

But You need an Apple device or not, genuine question?

kriebe

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Irvine, CA
I get that they are physically on both continents. That's why I'm ok with it being Eurasian. But when 90% of a country is in Asia and it's considered a European country, that seems pretty odd to me.

And thanks for the maps... Google is hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.