Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 PM   #51
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbzz View Post

Lastly, I didn't think the battery was too great. But now that I've had the chance to use it on a typical work day, it's actually not much more different than my iPhone 5. I charge it every night so it's not an issue for me.
Then you gotta try this app. it will turn off and on different services depending on your location... you'll get even better battery life.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obeez.profiles
sineplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:51 PM   #52
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sineplex View Post
Then you gotta try this app. it will turn off and on different services depending on your location... you'll get even better battery life.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obeez.profiles
Since it's a paid app, it's better to get tasker instead. Or if you're looking for a free app, llama is the way to go.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:02 PM   #53
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Since it's a paid app, it's better to get tasker instead. Or if you're looking for a free app, llama is the way to go.
tasker is more complicated and is for tasks. this is very simple and very good for making profiles to save on battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9p2qXkhMjs
sineplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:55 PM   #54
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

I need help lol

I am currently using an iPhone 5 and a nexus 4 side by side.
IMHO
The iPhone is better in these ways. Screen quality, battery life, build quality, speaker quality, portability, one hand use, earpiece, LTE, and both cameras. That sounds like a lot...

Nexus 4 is better in notifications, multitasking, scrolling, customization, no contract, nfc, ergonomics, and wireless charging. That is why a lot too.

The classic battle of software vs hardware. What to do?!
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:02 PM   #55
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post
I need help lol

IMHO
The iPhone is better in these ways. Screen quality, battery life, build quality, speaker quality, portability, one hand use, earpiece, LTE, and both cameras. That sounds like a lot...

Nexus 4 is better in notifications, multitasking, scrolling, customization, no contract, nfc, ergonomics, and wireless charging. That is why a lot too.

Sorry bud, that decision is all on you . I have both the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 as well and ultimately chose the Nexus 4 after finding extremely convenient apps and getting used to the screen size. (How is a scheduler app not on iOS yet!? Having my phone automatically turn certain things off and switch ring profiles...brilliant)

Either way they are both nice phones. Which one do you see yourself happier with down the road?
Mxbzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:06 PM   #56
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I need help lol

IMHO

No help I know but.......Whichever one you choose, you are guaranteed to have picked a superb phone.
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:30 PM   #57
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbzz View Post
Sorry bud, that decision is all on you . I have both the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 as well and ultimately chose the Nexus 4 after finding extremely convenient apps and getting used to the screen size. (How is a scheduler app not on iOS yet!? Having my phone automatically turn certain things off and switch ring profiles...brilliant)

Either way they are both nice phones. Which one do you see yourself happier with down the road?
Oooh sounds like a nice app. I'll have to check that.

Well I was bored with iOS and it's closed ways but it's really not THAT bad. And the stellar hardware really makes for a great experience. For example I can't even change the damn sound my Twitter app makes when I get a tweet. Same with Facebook and other apps. I think that may be a combination of the developers fault and apples. But the screen and camera and all the hardware I mentioned all are top notch.

The Nexus 4 is exciting and new on the software front I love the user experience and the hardware is very good but not fantastic like apple. I've heard several people say software > hardware and I tend to agree but I just don't know.

I think I feel more trapped with Apple within their walls and within a contract but I would be trapped in a really good place. Where as with Google I'm free from contracts and restrictions as far as software but I give up some goodies like LTE and the best of the best hardware.

Sigh..

Edit: Siri is better at texting / calling / opening apps. Google now is better at web searching and text dictation. Keyboard is better on iPhone. Text editing and touch sensitivity goes to iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
No help I know but.......Whichever one you choose, you are guaranteed to have picked a superb phone.
Very true! Thanks. I guess there is no risk to give the Nexus a try. No contract and no software restrictions. I could always try it for a while and then buy an iPhone a few months from now or next year. Idk

Last edited by THE JUICEMAN; Dec 3, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:42 PM   #58
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
I need help lol

IMHO

Software can get better. Hardware can't. Again, pick what you like but i'd pick the iPhone. Once the hardware breaks down, the software is useless. I have faith that apple will improve a lot with iOS 7 with the management change. But that's my opinion.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:50 PM   #59
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
Software can get better. Hardware can't. Again, pick what you like but i'd pick the iPhone. Once the hardware breaks down, the software is useless. I have faith that apple will improve a lot with iOS 7 with the management change. But that's my opinion.
Good points! Thanks for the opinion.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #60
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Tim Cook isn't adverse to shaking things up too.

I would be delightfully surprised if Apple announced a redesigned iPhone 6... with a larger screen, maybe?????
But then they can't use their thumb ad anymore.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices