Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I need help lol

I am currently using an iPhone 5 and a nexus 4 side by side.
IMHO
The iPhone is better in these ways. Screen quality, battery life, build quality, speaker quality, portability, one hand use, earpiece, LTE, and both cameras. That sounds like a lot...

Nexus 4 is better in notifications, multitasking, scrolling, customization, no contract, nfc, ergonomics, and wireless charging. That is why a lot too.

The classic battle of software vs hardware. What to do?!

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I need help lol

IMHO
The iPhone is better in these ways. Screen quality, battery life, build quality, speaker quality, portability, one hand use, earpiece, LTE, and both cameras. That sounds like a lot...

Nexus 4 is better in notifications, multitasking, scrolling, customization, no contract, nfc, ergonomics, and wireless charging. That is why a lot too.

Sorry bud, that decision is all on you :). I have both the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 as well and ultimately chose the Nexus 4 after finding extremely convenient apps and getting used to the screen size. (How is a scheduler app not on iOS yet!? Having my phone automatically turn certain things off and switch ring profiles...brilliant)

Either way they are both nice phones. Which one do you see yourself happier with down the road?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I need help lol

IMHO

No help I know but.......Whichever one you choose, you are guaranteed to have picked a superb phone.:)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Sorry bud, that decision is all on you :). I have both the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 as well and ultimately chose the Nexus 4 after finding extremely convenient apps and getting used to the screen size. (How is a scheduler app not on iOS yet!? Having my phone automatically turn certain things off and switch ring profiles...brilliant)

Either way they are both nice phones. Which one do you see yourself happier with down the road?

Oooh sounds like a nice app. I'll have to check that.

Well I was bored with iOS and it's closed ways but it's really not THAT bad. And the stellar hardware really makes for a great experience. For example I can't even change the damn sound my Twitter app makes when I get a tweet. Same with Facebook and other apps. I think that may be a combination of the developers fault and apples. But the screen and camera and all the hardware I mentioned all are top notch.

The Nexus 4 is exciting and new on the software front I love the user experience and the hardware is very good but not fantastic like apple. I've heard several people say software > hardware and I tend to agree but I just don't know.

I think I feel more trapped with Apple within their walls and within a contract but I would be trapped in a really good place. Where as with Google I'm free from contracts and restrictions as far as software but I give up some goodies like LTE and the best of the best hardware.

Sigh..

Edit: Siri is better at texting / calling / opening apps. Google now is better at web searching and text dictation. Keyboard is better on iPhone. Text editing and touch sensitivity goes to iPhone.

----------

No help I know but.......Whichever one you choose, you are guaranteed to have picked a superb phone.:)

Very true! Thanks. I guess there is no risk to give the Nexus a try. No contract and no software restrictions. I could always try it for a while and then buy an iPhone a few months from now or next year. Idk

Last edited:

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I need help lol

IMHO

Software can get better. Hardware can't. Again, pick what you like but i'd pick the iPhone. Once the hardware breaks down, the software is useless. I have faith that apple will improve a lot with iOS 7 with the management change. But that's my opinion.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Software can get better. Hardware can't. Again, pick what you like but i'd pick the iPhone. Once the hardware breaks down, the software is useless. I have faith that apple will improve a lot with iOS 7 with the management change. But that's my opinion.

Good points! Thanks for the opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.