Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chitika Insights has released a new six-month study that has found that iOS devices' mobile web share has grown 2% over the past two months while Android devices' mobile web share has decreased 2%. The data spans the six-month timeframe of May 27th, 2012 to November 27th, 2012 and includes devices like the Samsung Galaxy S III, the Kindle Fire HD, the Nexus 7, iPad mini, iPad fourth generation and iPhone 5.
ios-vs-android-graph.png
According to the data, the share for iOS is at 67% while Android sits at 33%. Over the past six months, iOS has been hovering around 65% while Android hovered around 35%. The peak of Android's share was 40% in late August, which Chitika attributes to the strong sales of the Galaxy S III. That peak softened after the release of iPhone 5 and the new iOS tablets.

Chitika notes that Apple's significant advantage in tablet sales with the iPad and iPad mini is the biggest factor in the mobile web share dominance. Apple also has its' iPod Touch line contributing to its share, while Android's popularity and share is mostly due to smartphones.

The data is also suggesting that users don't switch between mobile operating systems, according to Chitika. They note that if their suggestion is true, Android manufacturers are competing with themselves while Apple is in no danger of a dwindling user base.

Article Link: Chitika: iOS Mobile Web Share Continues to Trump Android

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For me, browsing with the larger screen and ad blocking capabilities of my Galaxy Nexus are superior to the experience available on my 4S (and I'd imagine the 5).

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Couldn't agreed more :D

In the US, lot of them are free.

It's too bad carriers make them look free. In the end, the only real difference you're paying after 2 years is what... about $100-$200? Looking at $3,000 for a "free" or $3,200 for a nice phone it become obvious that you're not saving much, but oh well. Capitalism ftw.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's too bad carriers make them look free. In the end, the only real difference you're paying after 2 years is what... about $100-$200? Looking at $3,000 for a "free" or $3,200 for a nice phone it become obvious that you're not saving much, but oh well. Capitalism ftw.

iPhone 5 16GB is "free" in all Hong Kong carriers with a 24-month contract.

The problem is that Apple doesn't sell them through the online store nor the physical store until today, nearly 3 months after launch. The only possible way to get an iPhone is to sign a contract with your carrier and get the "free" phone.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I feel like the heaviest Android users would be those who root, and the first thing you do when you root is you install an ad-blocker which blocks any connections to servers serving ads. This would block ads in the browser as well as in apps.

I'd like to see stats from Akamai or Google Ads to see how the data compares :)

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
I definitely fit into the last paragraph. I won't change, I've spent a fair bit in iTunes, music, video, apps. I use my iMac, iPhone and Apple TVs every day. iTunes is my digital hub with all my DVD Handbraked. Switching components of my setup to an incompatible system would be stupid and I certainly don't have the available cash to switch if they really started offering something 'magical' over Apple :S

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I definitely fit into the last paragraph. I won't change, I've spent a fair bit in iTunes, music, video, apps. I use my iMac, iPhone and Apple TVs every day. iTunes is my digital hub with all my DVD Handbraked. Switching components of my setup to an incompatible system would be stupid and I certainly don't have the available cash to switch if they really started offering something 'magical' over Apple :S

This is me.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
I have an iPhone, a Mac and iPad mini,I love Apple,iOS and OSX.

But it is comments like this one which start unnecessary and useless flame wars,android is not 'ass' or something,it suits the purpose for million other who love it,not for me or you,similarly iPhone 5 is best for you and me and millions others,but similarly an S3 or Note2 is for millions others too.

One should respect others choices as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
iOS needs a major change. If you consider it to be the best. You needs and expectations are very simple.

----------

Agreed. Though this is what they would love their customers to do, invest so heavily in one eco system so they have no choice. I am in the same boat, though bought a S3 to use alongside my 5 and frankly use the S3 more often. Also returned the mini due to the non retina screen, so times might be changing unless ios7 has some major changes. After using android for the last 2 months, ios is lacking innovation :(

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you consider it to be the best. You needs and expectations are very simple.

According to recent consumer satisfaction statistics, simple is how a lot of customers like it. Turns out those customers usually are currently also the most profitable for Apple, most app developers and even certain advertisers (those using Chitika).

Complex stuff turns into a mess faster than most people realize.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Let's look at some of the criteria which I find are essential to choosing a phone:
(Both-emboldened; Apple only- [ ]; Android-plain text)

Colour:
Black, White, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, et cetera.

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:
N/A, 16/32/64GB Card Slot

Battery: Removable, Non-Removable

Screen Size (inches): 3.5, 3.7, 4.0, 4.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0, 5.5 and more

Screen Res.: [1136x640, 960x640], 800x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080 and more

Vendor: [Apple], Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, Motorola, Asus, LG, Google et cetera

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

2012 Mid-Range Phones: [0], Several

2012 Low-End Phones: [0], Several

Last Generation Phones: [2], n-2

If you don't like an Android phone or tablet, you can choose another one from that vendor's product range or change vendors and find a phone or tablet which is more suitable for you. Finally, if nothing suits you, you can consider changing operating systems

If you don't like a certain iPhone or iPad, you either have to wait a year or two for a future redesign or leave the operating system.

As for best, the best phone for me is the one which most easily helps the user to acheive their goal. For example, my grandma isn't going to notice the difference between an A6, a Snapdragon or an Exynos, but she can tell the difference between a 4" screen versus a 4.5" where the text can be enlarged and the buttons are that much more easily discernible.

iOS is one size fits all; Android has so much choice that your phone feels more tailor made.

According to recent consumer satisfaction statistics, simple is how a lot of customers like it.

Apple users are way more servile than their Android counterparts, because they have no choice; it's either Apple's way or the highway. Conversely, with Android, choice is abundant. If I don't like Google's way, perhaps I can try Samsung's way, LG's way or someone else's way.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
The graph says it's US traffic share, whereas the article by not stating that makes it sound like its global track share.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Let's look at some of the criteria which I find are essential to choosing a phone:

Colour:

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:

Vendor: [Apple], Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, Motorola, Asus, LG, Google et cetera

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

If you don't like an Android phone or tablet, you can choose another one from that vendor's product range or change vendors and find a phone or tablet which is more suitable for you. Finally, if nothing suits you, you can consider changing operating systems

If you don't like a certain iPhone or iPad, you either have to wait a year or two for a future redesign or leave the operating system.

As for best, the best phone for me is the one which most easily helps the user to acheive their goal. For example, my grandma isn't going to notice the difference between an A6, a Snapdragon or an Exynos, but she can tell the difference between a 4" screen versus a 4.5" where the text can be enlarged and the buttons are that much more easily discernible.

iOS is one size fits all; Android has so much choice that your phone feels more tailor made.

Apple users are way more servile than their Android counterparts, because they have no choice; it's either Apple's way or the highway. Conversely, with Android, choice is abundant. If I don't like Google's way, perhaps I can try Samsung's way, LG's way or someone else's way.

And here we are talking about how iOS has 67% of web traffic. At the end of the day people want simple...

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007

I'm sorry for you. You're neck deep invested to one company. That's why usually I stay/use format/software that are platform agnostic. I've stopped buying songs/movies/books on iTunes long time ago.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
How android web usage can decrees, they selling more than ever. There is no decrees web usage ios nor Android. If they say RIM its believable. Even windows increasing (i know slow but it is increasing)

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I feel like the heaviest Android users would be those who root, and the first thing you do when you root is you install an ad-blocker which blocks any connections to servers serving ads. This would block ads in the browser as well as in apps.

Even if it's true that the heaviest Android users tend to root and block, they will account for a tiny fraction of the overall user base and would make an almost imperceptible difference to these figures. Less than a percentage point.

In all these cases you have to remember that the outliers are outliers. Aggregated stats like this aren't about those few users who don't fit the general pattern.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

Colour:

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

Ah, the old mantra of choice.

People want choice, to a degree' and to an extent it does make them happy. But more choice and a greater sense of satisfaction - better user experience - are not linked in nearly so linear a way as you think. The graph you'd see if you plotted choice against satisfaction would be a sharp, upwards curve for a short distance (going from no choices to a few choices makes people happier) followed by a flattening (When people have enough choice, more choice doesn't help them much) and then a big drop off (people faced with too many choices are constantly confused and overwhelmed and feel that any choice they make is likely to be wrong).

You should Google the Paradox of Choice. There's plenty of good science on this topic. The main point is that being able to choose precisely what you want (a la Android) actually leads to lower satisfaction whereas having fewer options and simpler choices (a la iOS) leads to greater satisfaction.

And the customer feedback supports this too - it's not just theory. Apple's customer satisfaction scores are higher than anyone else in any sector they compete in. If you were right about choice and a feeling that a product was "tailor made" then surely Android users would be happier - they aren't.

----------

How android web usage can decrees, they selling more than ever. There is no decrees web usage ios nor Android. If they say RIM its believable. Even windows increasing (i know slow but it is increasing)

These figures are a percentage of the total, not absolute usage. There is far more web usage coming from Android devices today than in prior years, but as a percentage it's staying fairly steady compared to iOS.

----------

I'm sorry for you. You're neck deep invested to one company. That's why usually I stay/use format/software that are platform agnostic. I've stopped buying songs/movies/books on iTunes long time ago.

Songs, movies and books from iTunes work on non-Apple devices. Only Apps are iOS exclusive. I can play an album, watch a movie and read a book bought from Apple on Windows PCs, various PMPs, Android devices and other e-readers.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
For me, browsing with the larger screen and ad blocking capabilities of my Galaxy Nexus are superior to the experience available on my 4S (and I'd imagine the 5).

i prefer flipboard.

----------

i feel like rooted devices make up about 1-5% of the android market share. certainly not enough to double the web share to match iOS.

if a significant percentage of android devices ran ad-blocking software, google would a serious problem on it's hands.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

just because we use Apple products doesn't mean we have to buy content from iTunes. sure it's easier, and with iCloud/iTunes match it's certainly more enticing and beneficial, but nothing prevents us from buying from Amazon, Google, or anyone else.

Heck, we don't even have to use OS X just because we use a Mac.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Well gee, I picked up a first gen iPad really cheap, jailbroke it, and put an ad blocking host file in it. Does that mean it evens out? (You're talking about a negligible percentage of people that would do this kind of thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.