Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Pod2g tweeted yesterday that JB is not his focus right now... we've also seen a lot of tweets in the past few months that suggest quite a rift between major "players".

Time to get realistic about a potential 6.1 JB?

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Pod2g tweeted yesterday that JB is not his focus right now... we've also seen a lot of tweets in the past few months that suggest quite a rift between major "players".

We don't need him homie

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
A new Phoenix will rise from the ashes, just like Pod2g did when Comex made his exit. And Comex showed up about the time we lost Geohotz. etc etc.. I honestly think we loose these hackers because people bug the crap out of them, Where is my Jailbreak etc etc. It takes all the fun out of it for them. So they move on to school a regular job and chicks allot more gratifying then whiny twitter fans. ;)

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
People keep saying "there will be someone else". There doesn't have to be someone else. Finding exploits is hard and very time consuming. There has been much less talk about this jailbreak than any other before it. And most of the talk about it is how none of the main people who have done it in the past are working on it now. Seems pretty dead to me...

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
For as long as fourteen year old tech lovers have trouble finding girlfriends... I would not worry. Build the iPhone - they will crack it.;):cool:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
People keep saying "there will be someone else". There doesn't have to be someone else. Finding exploits is hard and very time consuming. There has been much less talk about this jailbreak than any other before it. And most of the talk about it is how none of the main people who have done it in the past are working on it now. Seems pretty dead to me...

Pretty much this.

The fact that a jail break has been published is due to a SECURITY FLAW in iOS.

Apple will patch these as they are discovered - they would be negligent not to as jail breaks aren't the only things these could be used for - malicious software installs being another potential application (and as an aside, there's no reason someone couldn't combine a jailbreak with such software, turning all the machines jailbroken with that particular hack into their own personal botnet).

At some point, it is likely there will not be any security flaws that are exploitable to the extent of being able to circumvent the code-signing imposed by the OS.

Maybe this tipping point is iOS 6? Maybe it will be iOS 7. But the bar is certainly being raised with every new release. If nothing else, they will take longer to be released for each new iOS.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
There are other people working on it such as musclenerd. It remains to be scene if an untethered jailbreak is ever available for iOS 6 though.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
They don't want you knowing they are on the scene. That way they can stay super secrative and work in peace without releasing any exploits until they are finished.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Pretty close it seems like :(

Hopefully a jailbreak will be released for the iPhone 5 before everything collapses.

At least now you know the iPhone 5 is one of the most secure mobile devices, stick a strong password on it and as long as there isn't a jailbreak its secure.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Theres also money to be made in jailbreaking. Even though jailbreaks are free, being the guy to crack Apple's latest iOS will give you a lot of leverage in getting a high paying job.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
At some point, it is likely there will not be any security flaws that are exploitable to the extent of being able to circumvent the code-signing imposed by the OS.
If I can’t sign code to run on my own device, then I don’t really own that device.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
iOS is too boring, JB will continue to exist, to keep iPhone owners from leaving. Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.

They're tied to the iphone for more of their operating income than the rest of the lineup combined. That's not necessarily a healthy spot. Obviously they don't want to limit its growth, yet it means they're vulnerable to changes in the phone market, especially in countries that don't rely on subsidized plans.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
iOS is too boring, JB will continue to exist, to keep iPhone owners from leaving. Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.

I bet if every single jailbreaker switched to android it would have very little effect on Apple

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If I can’t sign code to run on my own device, then I don’t really own that device.

That's a matter of opinion. For some, the device not running unsigned code is a feature.

If you want to sign and run your own code, that will be $99/yr, assuming you have a Mac (which you need to run the development tools anyway). This pays for your code-signing certificate (and renewals) that is used for the code-signing.

And if there is no way to jailbreak new devices, the jailbreak scene will die.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
And if there is no way to jailbreak new devices, the jailbreak scene will die.

This I completely agree with, although I do think if they can't jailbreak the iPhone 5, people will begin to pay big money for used jailbroken iPhone 4S phones.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
This I completely agree with, although I do think if they can't jailbreak the iPhone 5, people will begin to pay big money for used jailbroken iPhone 4S phones.

Makes sense. I sold my 4S not knowing or caring if a future JB would come out.

I do not mind being JB free, as I learned to live without it. I am not into the themes and such, I am into the tweaks such as FT over 3G, Lockinfo, and MyWi etc. Do I use these every day? No, but I would like to have them if possible.

I think all these ppl complaining on Twitter just want free apps... which I think is not the reason why we should have a JB.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
NOoooo

There will be a jailbreak in time, in time.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
There will be a jailbreak in time, in time.

I agree. Not so much a matter of if, but when.

That said, if the gap in time becomes excessive, I'll likely jump ship to WP8 or Android, unfortunately. Stock iOS is so boring and I don't see iOS 7 changing that anytime soon.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Being on iPhone since day one I think the scene is dying. Back in the day jailbreaking was the only was to get apps or to unlock the device. It's not just the matter of security exploits and people leaving its about the lack of enthusiasm. These guys work for free hours on end to crack this thing and then next iOS release it's patched again and people complain for JB yet again. I imagine its annoying and I think the cat and mouse game has reached its end.

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
If the jailbreak scene dies,even though I have an iP4 I can downgrade back to 5.1.1,,I will most likely go to Windows once the contract is up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.