Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 8, 2012, 06:46 PM   #26
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney22193 View Post
let alone an option.
Something I've learnt is that Apple aren't about options. They dictate how their products should be used and... that's how you have to use them. Options and personalisation are rarely an option.
tekno is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 06:49 PM   #27
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

BiteSMS also allows you to timestamp every message. It makes sending SMS/iMessages more convenient and powerful.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 07:33 PM   #28
importfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Something I've learnt is that Apple aren't about options. They dictate how their products should be used and... that's how you have to use them. Options and personalisation are rarely an option.
Agreed. Its a real shame you have to resort to jail breaking your iPhone to get any type of freedom to alternatives to the stock features. One of the main reasons I had to get rid of mine.
importfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #29
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
My message app has time stamps.

Also, at some forums people are shot for dredging up dead threads. I'm just sayin'....
Funny, people b*tch when others make new threads about subjects that have been talked about instead of searching and finding a thread already created...and now people b*tch because a user actually used search and used an existing thread instead of creating a new one, even if it is an older thread.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRules View Post
Do you really need to know that a text you received after the first one (which is time stamped) occurred 30 seconds after the first? Really? Please tell me situation you would need to know that.

My question still applies.

Question above applies.... pls explain why you need to time stamp every text in a conversation.

Question above applies. Please give me a situation where you would need to know a text was sent 30-45-70 seconds after the first.

Not defending apple for NOT having this feature, just want to know why any of you feel the need to know when EVERY text was sent in a conversation. Was just checking out my text.... the wife sent a text, I sent one back and so forth. 12 minutes later she sent me another text and it was TS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Seriously 15 minute groups work just fine..
People saying there's a "15 minute rule", can you cite this? Certainly seems like there is no hard and fast rule to when the iPhone is going to TS your messages.

One of the worst parts about not stamping every message, are day or more old messages. It says "yesterday" or just the date if its more than 1 day old. Say you had a long conversation with someone, and want to know when the last text was sent, for various reasons. You can't find out.

I love how arrogant people are. Since you don't need it or don't know why someone else could possibly need it, they're dumb. What a useless feature. Grow up and realize that not everyone has the same needs and wants as you.
aztooh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:08 AM   #30
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by importfan View Post
Agreed. Its a real shame you have to resort to jail breaking your iPhone to get any type of freedom to alternatives to the stock features. One of the main reasons I had to get rid of mine.
Ditto. And I'm really enjoying being able to do things like set my own email alert tone, and have timed profiles (like you used to be able to do on old Nokias!). For a modern, complex computer, I always felt a simple "tones on/off" switch was woefully inadequate.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:48 AM   #31
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Honestly if Apple included time stamps for every message, increase security (similar to what Cylay does), include the ability to lock certain applications (I don't mind letting someone use my iPhone but I do care about my privacy.), and the ability to create private albums and password lock them then I would not be forced to jailbreak my iPhone. At the very least, Apple could approve of applications that use these features.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:23 AM   #32
P51
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajani Isa View Post
The issue I have is the time frame where the iPhone considers it the same conversation and therefore does no time-stamp them seems kinda big. It's also nice having a time stamp when you are trying to meet up with friends and they give you an ETA.
This. I hate looking back at texts and trying to guess when we were talking.

The 15 min thing is stupid.

If they send a text at noon and then I send one at 12:10 and they send one at 12:23 and then me at 12:37 they will all say they happened at noon.
P51 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:55 AM   #33
Oquane
macrumors newbie

Self Focused

It's interesting how many people get frustrated or baffled about why someone else would want a feature on a phone that they themselves wouldn't use.
Oquane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztooh View Post
Funny, people b*tch when others make new threads about subjects that have been talked about instead of searching and finding a thread already created...and now people b*tch because a user actually used search and used an existing thread instead of creating a new one, even if it is an older thread.

----------

People saying there's a "15 minute rule", can you cite this? Certainly seems like there is no hard and fast rule to when the iPhone is going to TS your messages.

One of the worst parts about not stamping every message, are day or more old messages. It says "yesterday" or just the date if its more than 1 day old. Say you had a long conversation with someone, and want to know when the last text was sent, for various reasons. You can't find out.

I love how arrogant people are. Since you don't need it or don't know why someone else could possibly need it, they're dumb. What a useless feature. Grow up and realize that not everyone has the same needs and wants as you.
I don't think its a "set" time, if you reply within 10-15 minutes the message isn't time stamped in the conversation. However, if you look at the conversation list the time of the last message will appear next to the person's name.

Your second point just isn't true. It will say "Friday" in the main message screen but will give you a stamp if you actually go into that conversation.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:43 PM   #35
LittleGwen
Banned

yeah i wish they time-stamped everything. Sometimes even a few minutes can make a difference and its nice to know when the text came in. But in general i barely notice it.
LittleGwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:47 PM   #36
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with 10 minute windows. It would be kind of annoying seeing a time stamp on every text..
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:57 PM   #37
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
I don't think its a "set" time, if you reply within 10-15 minutes the message isn't time stamped in the conversation. However, if you look at the conversation list the time of the last message will appear next to the person's name.

Your second point just isn't true. It will say "Friday" in the main message screen but will give you a stamp if you actually go into that conversation.
Is there a way we can find out the actual logic used from Apple?

Replying within 10-15 minutes just isn't true. Sometimes I'll get a timestamp when I reply to a message immediately after receiving it. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to the process at all.

For the 'second point', you're partly correct, but not entirely. Yes, the last time stamp is still in the conversation...but if the time stamp is not on the very last message in said conversation, you have no idea when the last message was sent/received.

Example from my phone right now:

Text message conversation list-->Select message from "Yesterday"-->Last time stamp is "Dec 2, 2012, 2:23 PM"...there are 5 messages in the conversation after that time stamp. If it was still on that current day, the conversation list would show the time of the last message. But since the day has changed, we just get "Yesterday".

Now, if there were some standard to the time between time stamps, we could give a pretty good estimate as to when the convo ended. But since sometimes it's immediately, and sometimes it doesn't stamp if the replies are w/in 10-15 minutes, there's no real way to know. That conversation could have ended at 2:25 or up to an hour later.

Is this a huge deal? Not really. But it's quite irritating that a company as anal about details as Apple is, has a system that uses ZERO logic. Most times it really doesn't matter to me...but there are times when it would be really helpful. 'Feature' flip phones of the past would time stamp every message without crowding the screen, on a display about 1/4 the size.
aztooh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #38
gtzpower
macrumors newbie

iOS 7 beta 2 has time stamps on all messages when you swipe left!

I know this thread is old, but I was so excited to see this feature that practically EVERY other phone has, I had to share it somewhere...
gtzpower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:03 AM   #39
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtzpower View Post
iOS 7 beta 2 has time stamps on all messages when you swipe left!

I know this thread is old, but I was so excited to see this feature that practically EVERY other phone has, I had to share it somewhere...
Good to know! I'm glad about this. Sometimes when trying to remember an exact time I can remember sending a text. Now I'll be able to look at that!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:22 AM   #40
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

No matter how you spin it, it's better to have the ability than not.

Doesn't hurt anything to have the ability
thehustleman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:57 PM   #41
chiangrai
macrumors newbie

GraphicsGeek, wow seriously man? Get a life. Everything is not about "You"! Are you an only child?

This IS a real issue and this post caused me to google for a solution and or fix and I read this whole thread because I am one of those people that DO want this at least as an option. Stomping your feet and telling other people that their opinion is invalid?

GraphicsGeek's audacity in this thread motivated me to create an account on MacRumors and respond.

Ok, back to the issue. Please consider this a vote for adding this feature at least as an option. It's something that annoys me on a frequent basis.

Here's an example about how it would be useful.

I'm working on a long term project with someone. We're texting that we're going to meet to work shortly... I hop in the shower because he's going to show up in about 10 minutes and I'm scrambling to get everything in order. While I'm in the shower, I get a text, "I'll see you in 10 minutes"... No timestamp. Did it come in as I hopped in the shower? or as I got out? I haven't a clue. Why do I "need" this? I don't. It would be CONVENIENT, and I "want' this feature. I do not "need" it.

If I was a development manager on the iphone team, I'd add this ticket as a "Nice To Have/Desired by Some" type of ticket. Sometimes, there is time on a developer team's schedule to knock out some "Nice to have" features. I'd just hope that this would make it to the "To be considered" for the "Nice to have" status at Apple

Just found this... Seems that Apple does in fact listen
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...den-timestamps

Last edited by chiangrai; Jul 11, 2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding link
chiangrai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 02:36 AM   #42
InavZ
macrumors newbie

I went from a phone that offers a time & date stamp on my text messages to an iPhone without this offering. It's like going back from 2013 to 1983...... I need this option for business messages 😪
InavZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:16 AM   #43
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by InavZ View Post
I went from a phone that offers a time & date stamp on my text messages to an iPhone without this offering. It's like going back from 2013 to 1983...... I need this option for business messages 😪
Are you on iOS 7? If so, in a message conversation, swipe to the left.
Tyler23 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:46 AM   #44
cynics
macrumors 603

Like mentioned, just drag left in the messages.

Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:16 AM   #45
dubnde
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b24pgg View Post
I really hope I'm just not seeing this feature. Every other smartphone I've ever used does this so I'm hoping the iPhone does too...is there a way to see text message timestamps?
Drag the message to the left and it shows the timestamps

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone