Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Not the game I stated (nor Bad Piggies).

Yes, the ads are terrible in the Free Android version...

You get the same sort of ad in the paid version on iOS.

Haha, i'm back Dave and i've got some pretty sad news for you.

So I did what you were whining for and looked up specific apps on Android that were top apps on iOS and guess what I found?

-A ton of these sought after games aren't even on Android, but some have terrible knock off versions where people whine for their money back.

-The legit apps that are on both operating systems, for the most part, are the same price. Other than Angry Birds most apps cost on Android as they do on iOS.

- Here is the ugly part: I found a couple apps that were up to 500% more expensive on Android! Don't believe me?

Heres the apps:

Tetris:

iOS - .99 cents
Android $2.99

Monopoly

iOS - .99 cents
Android - $4.99!!!!

NBA Jam -
iOS - .99 cents (Play it all the time)
Android - $4.99!!!!

Game of Life
iOS - .99 cents
Android - $4.99

I'm done here.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Not the game I stated (nor Bad Piggies).

Yes, the ads are terrible in the Free Android version...

You get the same sort of ad in the paid version on iOS.

Don't show me a paid app and claim its a free one, I have downloaded the free angry birds on android before.

angry-birds-ad-screenshot.png

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Don't show me a paid app and claim its a free one, I have downloaded the free angry birds on android before.

I don't really know how to prove it to you, but that's the free version of "Angry Birds Star Wars" on Android.

Maybe the ads aren't loading properly? Either that or the newer games put the ads in a different place.

Believe me, if I was going to buy it, I'd buy it on iOS.

----------

Here is the ugly part: I found a couple apps that were up to 500% more expensive on Android! Don't believe me?

Oh I believe you, but the number of people that actually buy those games is miniscule.

The thing is, if these people aren't willing to pay $0.99, what makes you think they're going to pay $2.99?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I don't really know how to prove it to you, but that's the free version of "Angry Birds Star Wars" on Android.

Maybe the ads aren't loading properly? Either that or the newer games put the ads in a different place.

----------

Oh I believe you, but the number of people that actually buy those games is miniscule.

The thing is, if these people aren't willing to pay $0.99, what makes you think they're going to pay $2.99?

I do agree with you that android has more ad supported apps.

One reason for this might be since a large percentage of android users are on value level phones

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009

----------

Like the article I provided you states:

Canalys attributed the price disparity to the different retail environments fostered by Apple and Google. In Apple's store, price competitiveness is key and in-app purchases, which generate revenue beyond the initial app payment, are becoming increasingly accepted. Meanwhile, fewer people are willing to pay for apps in the Android Market, so developers have to charge more for their apps to make money.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Meanwhile, fewer people are willing to pay for apps in the Android Market, so developers have to charge more for their apps to make money.

Which I think is representative of the overall market.

If people are going into a shop thinking that an $0.99 App is too expensive, they probably won't be getting an iPhone 5 (possibly an older model instead).

They probably aren't going to stock up on the Google Play Store's most expensive items either. They'll get the free games.

Is the problem what they've heard or what they want to hear?

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
What about a Droid is better because it has a physical keyboard and an iphone doesnt?

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I use both Android & iOS on a daily basis, and they both have pros and cons, I do generally prefer iOS, finding Apple's cultivated App Store to be a better match for most of my needs.

Android apps are still the wild west IMHO, if Google would invest some time in weeding out the crap apps and apps that actually really screw up your device, they'd be less difficult to defend. for instance, it took 2 weeks or so for ebay to fix it's mobile app on Android recently. Fragmentation of Android is a serious problem, and the quality of tablet apps is really bad.

I have an S3, and I'm very careful about the apps I install, rebuilding my phone is a genuine PITA.

I have a n7 and just got an iPad mini, and frankly, there is no comparison.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What about a Droid is better because it has a physical keyboard and an iphone doesnt?

I think you should be careful to separate platform and device features.

Apple sells three "current" phones.

iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

You can make some quite broad statements about iOS, but not all of them will apply to all of those models.

The same is true of Android. It's quite rare nowadays for an Android phone to have a physical keyboard.

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Idk what company you work for, because I, as well work for a cell phone company, and everyone is always asking for iPhones. Not all phones are for everybody that's why we match to people's needs, most customers are ignorant to features of phones and to be honest, they won't even use 10% of them regularly. I love my iPhone 5. I tell everyone that. But others have their opinions.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have been using both Android & iOS since they were first created. Long before that I was an Apple customer. Thus my bias does lean towards Apple.

iOS is excellent. The biggest complaint I have is their refusal to keep up with screen sizing. Apps for iPhone makes it more functional since the screen is too small to enjoy the full web.

Conversely my SGS III with it's 4.8" display makes working with the full desktop web easy & enjoyable. Therefore I have no need for mobile apps that the iPhone needs.

Being free of all but a very small number of apps is my preference. YMMV.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have been using both Android & iOS since they were first created. Long before that I was an Apple customer. Thus my bias does lean towards Apple.

iOS is excellent. The biggest complaint I have is their refusal to keep up with screen sizing. Apps for iPhone makes it more functional since the screen is too small to enjoy the full web.

Conversely my SGS III with it's 4.8" display makes working with the full desktop web easy & enjoyable. Therefore I have no need for mobile apps that the iPhone needs.

Being free of all but a very small number of apps is my preference. YMMV.
Apps still do it better than mobile web because for mobile web you need to load the interface elements every time, which doesn't work well if your mobile connection is not very strong.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This.

I love how pirates try to pretend they aren't stealing and that rooting/jailbreaking isn't PRIMARILY for piracy...

So you can illegally pirate everything on Android on the bone stock firmware?

Sweet! You're right, didn't know that!

:p

Thread complaining about iPhone misinformation contains android misinformation shocker!

Remember folks, misinformation is only good when attacking other platforms! :eek:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's illegal even if you own the game. Look it up if you don't believe me :)

This was my favorite part from Nintendo about emulators are illegal:

"Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs."

I don't know about you, but I use emulators for old platforms that are no longer supported or produced anymore so I'm not sure how this is hurting their industry and costing them jobs. What jobs? Who out there is still making SNES or Sega Genesis games?

If anything, emulators are keeping the legacy alive because there probably aren't a lot of working models out there anymore of older hardware.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Thread complaining about iPhone misinformation contains android misinformation shocker!

Remember folks, misinformation is only good when attacking other platforms! :eek:

+ a gabillion

of course, you had to expect this would happen in this thread

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
+ a gabillion

of course, you had to expect this would happen in this thread

I also love the fact that not all emulation is the mother of all evil.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org

<ahem>

Those scurvy pirates! Arrrrr! :p

----------

This was my favorite part from Nintendo about emulators are illegal:

"Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs."

I don't know about you, but I use emulators for old platforms that are no longer supported or produced anymore so I'm not sure how this is hurting their industry and costing them jobs. What jobs? Who out there is still making SNES or Sega Genesis games?

If anything, emulators are keeping the legacy alive because there probably aren't a lot of working models out there anymore of older hardware.
There is an massive industry of reselling older games on our new more capable hardware (Sonic collection DS, Wii Virtual console, Sonic CD on iOS/Android).

Nintendo, Sega and the like can have some tidy profit reselling and licencing old games for sale on new platforms.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I also love the fact that not all emulation is the mother of all evil.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org

<ahem>

Those scurvy pirates! Arrrrr! :p

----------

There is an massive industry of reselling older games on our new more capable hardware (Sonic collection DS, Wii Virtual console, Sonic CD on iOS/Android).

Nintendo, Sega and the like can have some tidy profit reselling and licencing old games for sale on new platforms.

Yeah, but then you run into the cases like PSP/PS Vita where you have to re-buy your games just to move to the next platform when you shouldn't have to in the first place. Companies that make their systems not able to be backwards compatible or offering way to verify that you owned the original copy so you can now download the digital version onto your new hardware. I think even the wii did the same thing or there was a bug when the new system came out causing people to repurchase things they already owned. Where do you draw the line at reselling the consumer something they've already bought before?

Intubepariksha

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
So Much Misinformation About iPhone

As per my knowledge most of people are not known about iPhone Features.
:cool: Unknown persons can say like this.

cg399

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
Not the two I stated.

You can't get a free version of "Whatsapp" or "Angry Birds Star Wars" for iPhone.

I wonder if "Whatsapp" would be the #1 paid app if there was a free version for iOS...

I would download it for free, but it's not something I want to pay for.

You do know that Whatsapp is not free for Android either? You get a one year free trial, then 99 cents per year. With iOS it is 99 cents forever.

Quote from Whatsapp website. "Please download the latest version of WhatsApp Messenger and enjoy our service free for 1 year! During, or after free trial period you can purchase service for $0.99 USD/year."

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
When did I ever suggest that? Using ROMs is not always pirating. Don't put words in my mouth.

It's not always pirating but it mostly is. Unless of course you spend your time with your cartridge reader downloading the contents of the cartridge to a ROM.

How many ROMs do you have that you actually still own? How many of those ROMs were ripped from your actual physical cartridges?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Good thing I said using ROMS is not ALWAYS piracy then isn't it?

If you were to ask any person off the street what they would use an emulator for, it would be for using games.

Congrats on being the small percentage that may use from-the-ground-up free (i.e. distributed by the creator for free) on emulators, while much much much larger majority of these people downloading emulators are pirating games.

The same is not true on Android.

As these are the top two Apps on the iOS App Store RIGHT NOW, I'd imagine that people do care about those Apps, so you can't just dismiss this.

I have friends that laugh at me when I say "I bought the latest Angry Birds".

Remember when the people of Dead Trigger made the game free because it originally had a price but all the Android users kept pirating it?

Have you also seen many games prices on iOS (.99, 1.99, 2.99) compared to the price of some of the same Android games (4.99, 5.99) as well as many other apps? Draw Something is 2.99? On iOS it's 99 cents. (Both have free versions). Monopoly is 4.99 on Android, but only 99c on iOS. Asphalt 7: Heat is 7$ on Android, 99c on iOS (looks better on iOS too; I own both versions).

I personally don't like ads at all. Some people may be able to deal with them but their placed in game as such as to really take up a lot of valuable screen space, or worse, in areas most likely to be touched by accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.