Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
So, I'm on my 2nd iPhone 5 in as many days. Yesterday's had a some minor scratches and a loose power button. Today's has more noticeable scratches but at least a solid power button. Before I get too obsessed here with multiple returns and possible loss of my sanity I'm wondering if these are just they way they are and that there are no actual, real, perfect specimens of this product?

I mean, is it even realistic to expect there to be no defects on a product that is meant to be as shiny and flashy as the iPhone 5?

I remind myself that I had no problems whatsoever with my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4. But then again, there was a lot less non-glass reflective surface on those.

I'm trying hard not to give up hope and will try again tomorrow but I don't know what I'll do if I'm disappointed again. Is there a certain level of minor defects I should just accept and move on?

I haven't even gotten to the functionality of this phone yet. Hopefully there's no problems there.

Thanks for your help and advice.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
There is NO such thing as a flawless iphone 5. No one has one. They all have some issue or another, it's just that people don't know they're really issues. Some iphones have rattling sleep wake buttons, that's a fact.

My iphone 5 is fine but not flawless. I actually went looking for issues when I got it. Only thing I could find wrong was a very, very slight scratch on the screen. I'm just dealing with it as everything else is fine. No point in returning it and getting one thats worse.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Sadly your only reasonable approach is to collapse your expectations. Apple cannot meet them. The iPhone 5 is one of the lowest quality iPhones. I know, I had 4. Gave up & went back to my 4S, only to discover how much it outshines the 5.

I just chalked it up to a bad release from Apple, they can't all be great. There's always next year. No worries.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm quite sure there are flawless iPhone 5s out here. Many people are contented with their iPhone 5 working perfectly well. And let's not be so pessimistic as to say that ALL iPhone 5s have some flaw in one aspect or another, I don't think this should be the case.

pachecorigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
I have a flawless iPhone 5, no scratches no rattling sleep wake button. No problems since day 1 battery life is good, I have owes the the 4 and 4s this is the best one yet!

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
My first Black one was flawless, but the ear speaker was blown right out of the box. Second black one was flawless, but ran very hot and had poor reception, tech support wanted to replace it. I did with my Galaxy S3. Would have gone back to my 4s but i admit being addicted to LTE. Maybe next year:eek:

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I, too, wondered about this.

To those who claimed to have a flawless looking phone, is the phone truly flawless or is the user simply not looking hard enough?

For example, there are frequently blemishes on the chamfered edges that many users simply overlook. Do those count? In my case, I had a phone in case the scratches were all on the junction where the case meets the front glass (this is not the chamfered edges).

Some people had recommended looking at the phone under different lighting conditions (seriously, you can search for that thread) because the flaws only show up under bright lights. Do those count?

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
My first iphone 5 had a speaker problems where when you play music its will started to fade in and out. Apple exchange for a new one and the problem is still there!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I have purchased 3 iPhone 5's and all three have been flawless. I really don't understand how so many people could be having these problems. It is probably all BS. Bought a 16gb for my wife, 32gb for me but I returned it for a 64gb but all three were in perfect condition! No scratches or imperfections of any kind.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Mine came out of the box perfect. No scratches, everything's fine. No scratches anywhere, as its been in a case the whole time with a screen protector. But before I put it there I looked over the whole phone and I have still not noticed if they is anything at all wrong with mine.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I have purchased 3 iPhone 5's and all three have been flawless. I really don't understand how so many people could be having these problems. It is probably all BS. Bought a 16gb for my wife, 32gb for me but I returned it for a 64gb but all three were in perfect condition! No scratches or imperfections of any kind.

mine as well was perfect, no real defects at all. and it seems like its so flawed because of the hundreds of thousands sold, only the people with issues come to complain about them im sure if you tallied up the total which came out perfect vs the total messed up it will show how one sided it seems.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
Sadly your only reasonable approach is to collapse your expectations. Apple cannot meet them. The iPhone 5 is one of the lowest quality iPhones. I know, I had 4. Gave up & went back to my 4S, only to discover how much it outshines the 5.

I just chalked it up to a bad release from Apple, they can't all be great. There's always next year. No worries.

I have seen your posts,constantly speaking negative for iPhone and Macs,Give it a break dude ! And really how much the 4S outshines 5-LOL !

Yup,same here,2 iPhone 5's,one black and one white-both FLAWLESS :cool:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
For as many problems as the iphones always have, other brands have 10 times more issues. Even more bizarre than iphone problems.

I can't speak for everyone here, but i've been using apple products since early 2000's. And the level of quality has decreased dramatically with its skyrocketing success and popularity.

This can be a bit hard to deal with when you're used to a certain a level of quality, so we end up being called OCD and apple gets a bad rap.

i've had every iphone that came out so far. Orignal and 3G were flaweless.
3GS was exchanged MANY times for dead pixels. 4 was perfect. 4S had the most flaws by far.

iPhone 5 launch day phone finally started clicking/popping in the middle of the screen. I took it in, and it could not be fixed. I had to get a replacement.

They gave me a replacement which i immediately noticed had the crappy flickering/interlacing screens. F2 serial. I dealt with it until today when it started making my eyes hurt.

I showed at to the genius, and he apologized and gave me another.
DNP serial. everything perfect, except there was a MAJOR "pinch" in the screen on the right side of the screen. Hard to explain but imagine a totally black screen, and then spotlight off to the right. Not light leakage, totally different.

Got another apology and another replacement. DNP as well. This time, everything was officially ok.

So it was a bit of a hassle, but in the end, nothing is perfect. So you have to pick and choose your battles.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Some say that you are lying if you say you didn't get a flawless iPhone 5, that you did it yourself after you got it and some say you can't expect to get a flawless iPhone 5, because it's just a phone and that you should just deal with it. (with flawless I here mean when you don't need magnifying glass to find a flaw).

I don't know what's true, but maybe this is what to expect from Apple products post Jobs. You still pay a premium price, but are not sure to get such a premium product that you have grown to expect from Apple.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I have never returned an Apple product due to faulty manufacturing. ip4, 5, original iPod touch, 3 laptops, ATV, keyboard, trackpad.......I'm curious to see some of these defects that people get to make them exchange for another product.

I inspect them but I don't look at it under magnification, black light, moonlight....

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Thanks for the responses so far...

So it seems there are a few that say they have a flawless phone. Congratulations to you!

For those that say not to sweat it so much, what would you accept for a cosmetic defect?

My last iPhone had two visible scratches both near the lightning port and I figured I'd see it everyday so it bugged me and returned it. This iPhone has two small scratches on the back, one is dull the other must be deep because it reflects back like the polished silver apple. Again, small but it catches my eye easily. It also has some roughness on the beveled edge on the bottom. On one hand I say how often will I look at the back? On the other I say this is worse because it's more out in the open.

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
You are talking about a cheap, Chinese made, mass produced, consumer product. None will be absolutely perfect. There is variation in everything. After a few weeks in your pocket it will have more blemishes than when new.

Don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy using the product. That's what it's designed for - using.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Why would scratches considered as phone flaw? I could scratch anything I own. $9 case + ghost armor on screen and no scratches for two month, same as new.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You are talking about a cheap, Chinese made, mass produced, consumer product. None will be absolutely perfect. There is variation in everything. After a few weeks in your pocket it will have more blemishes than when new.

Don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy using the product. That's what it's designed for - using.

Love his last line. Couldn't phrase it in a better way myself. At the end of the day, its just a phone, no need to overly-take care of it or anything liddat. :rolleyes:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
You are talking about a cheap, Chinese made, mass produced, consumer product.

Cheap? At least here in Sweden this is by far the most expensive phone on the market. I have heard many things about Apple products in general and iPhones in particular, but cheap is not one that I have heard as one of its characteristics.

Apple themselves in their press info said:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."

For a product to fulfill the above, I believe you should be able to have pretty high expectations on how the phone looks out of the box.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Mine has a very very small nick on the bottom bezel, I thought it was a piece of dust at first. lol

That's all. That may even have happened when I was messing about trying to get a screen protector on.

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Mine looks good, no scratches etc but the battery life so far has been pretty poor. It's only a few days old though. Gonna give it a few charges to see what happens. But then I have been comparing it to my iPad which is essentially all battery inside! However I am impressed with the speed of the thing. It makes my iPad 3 seem a little clunky. It's the first time I've ever had a second iOS device and I'm still loving the novelty at the way they talk to each other. It still amuses me no end when I get reminders on both at the same time (I need to get out more).

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Initially bought a 16GB white iPhone 5 that came on November 9th and it arrived flawless.

When I exchaged for the 32GB that was flawless as well. So I think QC-Gate has ended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.