Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354490110.742599.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	381191
outlawarth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1177
AznTakumi
macrumors regular

I'm getting exactly around there as well..On wifi most of the time which bothers me because we are suppose to be receiving 10 hours on wifi.
AznTakumi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:14 AM   #1178
Sekelani
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post
if you're getting crap battery life and haven't done the following, best to do it:

start from scratch. do NOT restore from a backup. most battery drain issues are due to users restoring from their backup.

limit the amount of apps you have on your device. i only have a handful of apps and ensure the apps are not constantly using data

set phone to manual brightness and at around ~15% brightness

make sure to use WiFi whenever possible.
I've done this and no improvements
Sekelani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:38 AM   #1179
Drmedic
macrumors member

Played lots of apps. Extremely happy with battery life considering other posts here xD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	381276  
Drmedic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1180
Ibtechsavvy
macrumors member

I turned off cellular data and I didn't have to charge for almost two days, with about 10 hours usage. ( wish I took a couple of screens)

With 3G on, even in the background battery life is doo doo. I heard 6.1 fixes it thogh
Ibtechsavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1181
xlost6
macrumors regular

For some odd reason today I fully charged my iPhone 5 at work. I took it off the charger. For about 17 minutes the percentage dropped to 97%. What the hell? And now my battery is lasting a lot longer tonight. Same cycle. I guess it dropped because the backlight was high because I was outside.

But there is even times when I wake up in the morning. Surf a little and listening to music on my way to work and by the time I get to my job. The precentage dropped to 98% in 15 or 20 minutes. Granted I don't have the battery percentage indicator on but it is still annoying knowing with light use it is dropping.
xlost6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1182
iAlphard
macrumors regular

I gave in and bought mophie battery pack case. It's so much fun playing with my iPhone so instead of worrying and disabling almost everything, i bought it. It's also more comfortable to hold if you like playing with your iPhone for a good length of time, absorb the warmness very well.

Last edited by iAlphard; Dec 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
iAlphard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:22 AM   #1183
stephen85
macrumors member

Need people's opinions on the below battery usage.
  • 80% of usage is on WIFI
  • Minimal Gaming
  • Minimal Phone Calls (1-2 calls a day lasting 5-15min)
  • Check Instagram / Facebook throughout the day lasting 5mins at a time
  • Watch 1-2 Youtube Video's lasting 10min each
  • Update an app now an again
  • Light Safari (mainly forums/news tech sites)

stephen85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1184
Risco
macrumors 65816

Guys this happens every single time a new phone comes out from Apple. It usually takes to a point release before it improves as it takes time to optimise the phone.
Risco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #1185
upthetoffees
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Guys this happens every single time a new phone comes out from Apple. It usually takes to a point release before it improves as it takes time to optimise the phone.
If this happens every time, then they should know better and have everything ok for a release. This is not a good thing to have happen to your (now) flagship and a lot of their business is focused on the phone so they need to avoid this.

We have a new iphone 5 received on Monday and it's going from 100 to 0 % in four/five hours with light use. That is pretty worrying.

My Iphone 4s still has the interference sounds coming out of it every time I place a call which is unbearable and no fix as yet. You would have thought I learned my lesson, eh?
upthetoffees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1186
Marbles1
macrumors member

Real-world usage on iPhone 5

I've had a 'feeling' that the iPhone 5 has bad battery but finally remembered today to measure a real world use case.

I had my iPhone charging overnight, used it a bit in the morning and then charged up again until midday; full charge.

I then, read the news for 5 minutes. Got on the underground for 20 minutes with phone in pocket. Used GPS and Google's map website to find a client's site (Apple Maps couldn't find it), this took about 15-20 minutes of GPS usage.

Used Personal hotspot tethering to use my iPad writing and sending some emails, for around 30 minutes.

Send 2-3 text messages.

At around 6pm, used map again to find Tube station. Read news offline underground for 15 minutes. Got home, Phone died.

Shocking really. I'll be buying a battery case from Mophie as soon as they're released I suppose. If the phone takes so much power; please apple, just make it thicker; i'd rather have something that can last a full business day + an evening.
Marbles1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1187
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibtechsavvy View Post
I turned off cellular data and I didn't have to charge for almost two days, with about 10 hours usage. ( wish I took a couple of screens)

With 3G on, even in the background battery life is doo doo. I heard 6.1 fixes it thogh

Of course turning off data will improve the time the battery takes to deplete. You know what? Turning the whole thing off will have an even better improvement
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1188
Marbles1
macrumors member

Why should we have to turn everything off to get reasonable battery life?

I want my phone to manage its power effectively.

Using maps for 15-20 minutes and half an hour of tethering should not wipe out a large chunk of battery.
Marbles1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:50 AM   #1189
lostjournal
macrumors newbie

Angry Add me to the list

I am in India. My iPhone 5 is 20 days old. I am generally on 3G all the time. We do not have LTE and I am hating the battery of my phone. I feel cheated. The usage never goes beyond 5.5 hours with almost everything disabled. I have paid close to $850 to get a 16 GB version and I feel duped. I thought my Dell Streak 5 had the worst battery of all - but I was so wrong until I met iPhone 5.

In India, even the support sucks.
lostjournal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1190
wannabelean
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostjournal View Post
I am in India. My iPhone 5 is 20 days old. I am generally on 3G all the time. We do not have LTE and I am hating the battery of my phone. I feel cheated. The usage never goes beyond 5.5 hours with almost everything disabled. I have paid close to $850 to get a 16 GB version and I feel duped. I thought my Dell Streak 5 had the worst battery of all - but I was so wrong until I met iPhone 5.

I second this. You have to blame the network too though for horrible battery life. The same phone when I used in my trip to Dubai last week had great battery performance.
wannabelean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1191
Dimorphic
macrumors member

I am literally draining 19-20% every hour. It's awful! And I'm not even doing anything extravagant with my phone, Chrome browsing, check some sports scores and Facebook/Twitter.
Dimorphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1192
kadillac
macrumors member

Something is wrong with y'all's battery life if your phone dies that quickly. I can go for two days, if I wanted. 2 hours usage on WiFi, 20% battery gone. Almost no standby drain.
kadillac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1193
Dimorphic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadillac View Post
Something is wrong with y'all's battery life if your phone dies that quickly. I can go for two days, if I wanted. 2 hours usage on WiFi, 20% battery gone. Almost no standby drain.
Clearly there is something wrong with our battery life. It's why we're posting in this thread.
Dimorphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1194
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostjournal View Post

I took my AT&T iPhone 5 roaming in Southern India. With data turned off, the phone would last 4 days before needing charging with occasional call use + frequent music use. Data roaming was too expensive for me, so did not use 3G.

Back in AZ, I would be lucky for the phone to make it through the day. I have only marginal LTE leaking in from neighboring Phoenix - causing the horrible battery suck.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1195
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

Heres after a full day of use

No LTE (thanks sprint)
Wifi for about half of the phone's life - I use wifi in school and at home and 3g everywhere else

Apps I use:
Reddit
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Gmail
Heavy Texting and iMessaging
one-two phone calls
Slight video watching
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1196
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

It seems that iCloud is still a drainer (well any such service would be) ... I recently migrated my email to Zimbra and setup exchange for Email/Contact/Calendar/Reminder and turned off these in iCloud ... and voila ! ... not only did battery improve (higher standby+usage) the whole email experience became better ...

Apple really needs to get iCloud Email upto standard!
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1197
Browns2212
macrumors regular

My update from yesterday:

Fully charged at 12:30 pm yesterday.

Normal usage during the afternoon on LTE, including about 1.5 hours of TuneIn Radio, which is a battery drainer.

Went home at 5 pm and made some calls, played some games, texts, email, twitter, facebook, etc. This was all on WiFi. Then, about 8.5 hours of standby while I slept.

Got up this morning and did some basic stuff, like above.

9 AM I have 15%

Usage = 4 hours, 45 mins

Standby = 20 hours, 19 mins
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1198
gapperonduty
macrumors 6502

Whao this thread is STILL going strong with the obsession over battery life!

Aren't you guys, by now, removed from the initial excitement and begin to enjoy the phone as it is? Fretting over 1-2 extra hours seems, at this point,....tiresome

I was once watching the percentage and usage time like an OCD manifestation! but then it wears off, and now I am happy with what the phone offers and one huge load of weight off the shoulder! LOL...BUT...to each his own!

//back to thread!
gapperonduty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1199
stoneland
macrumors member

^ LOL yeah I was never one to care about battery life...I'm always able to charge my phone. I use my phone for what it is...I never use Wifi so I know my battery life is affected by that
stoneland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1200
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I took my AT&T iPhone 5 roaming in Southern India. With data turned off, the phone would last 4 days before needing charging with occasional call use + frequent music use. Data roaming was too expensive for me, so did not use 3G.

Back in AZ, I would be lucky for the phone to make it through the day. I have only marginal LTE leaking in from neighboring Phoenix - causing the horrible battery suck.
Traveling to india for 2 weeks with my unlocked iPhone 5. Is it easy to get nano-SIMs for iPhone 5 as a prepaid/pay as you go? Where? Airtel? Aircel?

Thanks!
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone