Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
you have a 2012 mac pro and you are getting that card.... for gaming? Despite all the risks??

I have a bridge to sell you sir....

Someone on here ran a 5970 and a 5770 at the same time although the latter may not have been active while gaming like in my situation.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Apologies if I was bit harsh earlier I just have had a lot of similar replies when asking these sorts of questions. I know it's just good advice but it's something I feel people should know if they are messing with this stuff anyway. The links are very much appreciated, any comment on the safety of using a Y splitter to 8 pin on the 6pin outs of the Mac Pro?

The reason you're seeing a lot of similar replies is pretty simple -- most experienced people have evaluated the risk and reward, and concluded that a single card that is at or near the 225W limit that the Mac Pro can offer is the best choice. I've been running a single GTX 680 for the past couple of months, and have found it to be an excellent card that is more than enough for the games I play.

What are you going to be using the system for? I'm guessing gaming under Boot Camp, since SLI isn't supported under OS X. What games require a 690 to be playable these days, where a single 680 is not playable? If you're planning for a game that hasn't been released yet, why not get a single GPU now and then another one in 6-12 months when the current products are refreshed? Wouldn't that be a better option? 690s are still going for $999 or more here in the US, from what I can see.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Apologies if I was bit harsh earlier I just have had a lot of similar replies when asking these sorts of questions. I know it's just good advice but it's something I feel people should know if they are messing with this stuff anyway. The links are very much appreciated, any comment on the safety of using a Y splitter to 8 pin on the 6pin outs of the Mac Pro?

I think splitting the two 6 pins into 8 pin is very risky, it will draw more current then they are designed.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The reason you're seeing a lot of similar replies is pretty simple -- most experienced people have evaluated the risk and reward, and concluded that a single card that is at or near the 225W limit that the Mac Pro can offer is the best choice. I've been running a single GTX 680 for the past couple of months, and have found it to be an excellent card that is more than enough for the games I play.

What are you going to be using the system for? I'm guessing gaming under Boot Camp, since SLI isn't supported under OS X. What games require a 690 to be playable these days, where a single 680 is not playable? If you're planning for a game that hasn't been released yet, why not get a single GPU now and then another one in 6-12 months when the current products are refreshed? Wouldn't that be a better option? 690s are still going for $999 or more here in the US, from what I can see.

Getting a sigle 680 now and then a single 680 later doesn't help with my problem, I'd have the same power draw dilemma later. 1 690 has less draw than 2 680 and produces less heat. I have found a good deal on a 690 and have my heart set on that card. Crysis 3 for instance needs a GTX 680 for high settings, 690 will see me out a couple of years compare to a 680.

----------

I think splitting the two 6 pins into 8 pin is very risky, it will draw more current then they are designed.

EI Awesome has already said that each 6 pin provides 75w, two would give 150w through a Y splitter to 8 pin. The other 8 pin source would be from a GPU PSU inside the Mac Pro. Given that the GTX 690 draws 300w max the 150w from each source should be fine on the Mac Pro PCI-E power trace. In theory anyway, unless you actually have something technical to back up 'very risky' i'm inclined to believe the power draw via this method is within limits. Can you provide evidence otherwise?

I'm getting one person saying 225w and one saying 150w (75w via each 6 pin). Which is correct?

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Getting a sigle 680 now and then a single 680 later doesn't help with my problem, I'd have the same power draw dilemma later. 1 690 has less draw than 2 680 and produces less heat. I have found a good deal on a 690 and have my heart set on that card. Crysis 3 for instance needs a GTX 680 for high settings, 690 will see me out a couple of years compare to a 680.

----------

EI Awesome has already said that each 6 pin provides 75w, two would give 150w through a Y splitter to 8 pin. The other 8 pin source would be from a GPU PSU inside the Mac Pro. Given that the GTX 690 draws 300w max the 150w from each source should be fine on the Mac Pro PCI-E power trace. In theory anyway, unless you actually have something technical to back up 'very risky' i'm inclined to believe the power draw via this method is within limits. Can you provide evidence otherwise?

I'm getting one person saying 225w and one saying 150w (75w via each 6 pin). Which is correct?

Whoops your right, was thinking of splitting two 6 pins into two 8 pins somehow :eek:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not suggesting getting a second GTX 680 in 6-12 months, I'm suggesting you spend that extra $500 on the next-generation card from AMD or NVIDIA once it gets released next year (e.g. the GTX 780 or whatever it will be called). You just stick with the single GTX 680 in the mean time.

If you have a great price on the dual-GPU card and have your heart set on it, then go for it -- nobody is telling you otherwise. It just requires a lot more effort than a single card solution, but you already know that.

Edit: Regarding power, the Mac Pro can provide 225W, 75W from the PCIe slot and 75W from each of the 6-pin power cables. If you find some kind of converter that takes the 2 6-pin cables from the motherboard and combines them into a single 8-pin connector, that should work and give the expected 150W. However, you still have the problem of feeding the card from two separate power sources, which has an unknown amount of risk.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I'm not suggesting getting a second GTX 680 in 6-12 months, I'm suggesting you spend that extra $500 on the next-generation card from AMD or NVIDIA once it gets released next year (e.g. the GTX 780 or whatever it will be called). You just stick with the single GTX 680 in the mean time.

If you have a great price on the dual-GPU card and have your heart set on it, then go for it -- nobody is telling you otherwise. It just requires a lot more effort than a single card solution, but you already know that.

Edit: Regarding power, the Mac Pro can provide 225W, 75W from the PCIe slot and 75W from each of the 6-pin power cables. If you find some kind of converter that takes the 2 6-pin cables from the motherboard and combines them into a single 8-pin connector, that should work and give the expected 150W. However, you still have the problem of feeding the card from two separate power sources, which has an unknown amount of risk.

I would imagine that the feed from two different sources can be compensated by linking in a relay to start the second PSU at the same time as the Mac Pro PSU, many GPU PSU units have a plug in molex from the host PSU. If the timings are off ever so slightly I doubt it would be an issue but say it is I imagine the worse to be the card running in a 'crippled mode'. I think that cards are advanced enough nowadays to compensate for delay in power via one of 8 pin inputs, so long as full power is enough after say a second or two I think that would be fine. This is all theory but it looks promising.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The people using the additional 5.25" PSU have not reported their cards stalling on boot, so I would assume the card simply waits until power is detected on both 8-pins before completing its own startup.

You have been told not to split the 6-pin leads and to get an secondary internal PSU instead.

Since you are set on purchasing this card, just do it. Why not write up a How To once you have got it installed and stress tested?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The people using the additional 5.25" PSU have not reported their cards stalling on boot, so I would assume the card simply waits until power is detected on both 8-pins before completing its own startup.

You have been told not to split the 6-pin leads and to get an secondary internal PSU instead.

Since you are set on purchasing this card, just do it. Why not write up a How To once you have got it installed and stress tested?

My thought exactly, the power management must be able to compensate for fluctuation, it's just a question of how much....

Are you aware that I'm not splitting 2x 6 pins to 2x 8 pins? I'm taking power from the 2x 6 pin on the board and converting it to 1x 8 pin. The other 8 pin supply will be from the GPU PSU. Who told me not to split the 2x 6 pin to 1 8 pin?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Let me just say that 580 are particular about their power.

I once used an internal 6 pin combined with an external 8 pin and the card never booted again. I imagine it had something to do with power from one source running the wrong way to the other, ie 11V + running down a 12V - line or some such trouble.

I have a giant box (or two) of dead cards. Each one a sad story. I plan to get to each one and fix it but the truth is most I never will.

If you get an external PSU, use it to power BOTH plugs on whatever card. Trust me on this. The impulse to see "I wonder what will happen if I......" should be avoided here.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
You are the perfect candidate for a hackintosh..

That's a bit brash, I'm simply wanting more powerful graphics, I don't want kernel panics too!

----------

Let me just say that 580 are particular about their power.

I once used an internal 6 pin combined with an external 8 pin and the card never booted again. I imagine it had something to do with power from one source running the wrong way to the other, ie 11V + running down a 12V - line or some such trouble.

I have a giant box (or two) of dead cards. Each one a sad story. I plan to get to each one and fix it but the truth is most I never will.

If you get an external PSU, use it to power BOTH plugs on whatever card. Trust me on this. The impulse to see "I wonder what will happen if I......" should be avoided here.

The 580? This is a 690 i'm talking about. You mentioned the card died, what happened? Are you just making a best guess as to why it died?

----------

Is a 450w 5.25 Graphics card only PSU with 2x 8 pin connectors enough to power 1x GTX 690?

As much as I wanted all of this to be internal I'll have to get an external supply if I cant power the card from one 5.25" 450w PSU (Fingers crossed). If i'm forced to use an external I need the thing hidden in a cupboard below my desk, does anyone use an external PSU for this purpose and which one? Cable length is my main concern here - that is the 2 8 pin wires need to be around about 2 metres, any issues with those lengths?

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That's a bit brash, I'm simply wanting more powerful graphics, I don't want kernel panics too!

If your tech savvy enough to install a second PSU to play with a 690 to game you are tech savvy enough to build a hackintosh without KP's..I changed my MoBo last night on the hack and didn't get a KP switching from Gigabyte to Asus.

You are the type of mac user that generally builds them, people who want OSX and want to game..

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK

If your tech savvy enough to install a second PSU to play with a 690 to game you are tech savvy enough to build a hackintosh without KP's..I changed my MoBo last night on the hack and didn't get a KP switching from Gigabyte to Asus.

You are the type of mac user that generally builds them, people who want OSX and want to game..

It's tempting but I prefer the real deal, the case for one is something I love - it's not the entire experience with a hackintosh, considerably simpler for what I want, I must admit but I have dabbled before with a simple i5 gigabyte build and had issues with updates 10.8.1 for instance, then I had onboard audio issues and had to buy a dedicated sound card. I love the scene but not the work - If I put a 690 in my Mac Pro I have the uphill battle of getting it in, but, once it's in I'm on the top of the hill without having to keep finding level ground. With a hackintosh it's constant uphill - checking on updates not breaking any kexts etc etc it's just not maintenance free like my Mac Pro.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007

----------

The 580? This is a 690 i'm talking about. You mentioned the card died, what happened? Are you just making a best guess as to why it died?

----------

Is a 450w 5.25 Graphics card only PSU with 2x 8 pin connectors enough to power 1x GTX 690?

As much as I wanted all of this to be internal I'll have to get an external supply if I cant power the card from one 5.25" 450w PSU (Fingers crossed). If i'm forced to use an external I need the thing hidden in a cupboard below my desk, does anyone use an external PSU for this purpose and which one? Cable length is my main concern here - that is the 2 8 pin wires need to be around about 2 metres, any issues with those lengths?

Of course it is :p

If the card draws 300W peak and 75W is coming from the PCI-E slot then the GPU psu only needs to supply 225W...

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Of course it is :p

If the card draws 300W peak and 75W is coming from the PCI-E slot then the GPU psu only needs to supply 225W...

Do I need to allow for overheads? Those overheads being the PSU not supplying the full rated 450w performance? Is this still a concern with a modern PSU?

If power draw spikes, say for instance at startup, would it ever try and draw more than 300w? If these are non-issues then i'm set. :D

This is the supply I have in mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817206001

----------

Back in 2011 a user mentioned his Mac would not boot without the help of a native Mac GPU.

The user was using a 570, would the issue be present in my system with a 690? Would I need to retain a 5770 for instance? I'm fine without boot screens but wouldn't want to have an unbootable system with just a 690.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
It's tempting but I prefer the real deal, the case for one is something I love - it's not the entire experience with a hackintosh, considerably simpler for what I want, I must admit but I have dabbled before with a simple i5 gigabyte build and had issues with updates 10.8.1 for instance, then I had onboard audio issues and had to buy a dedicated sound card. I love the scene but not the work - If I put a 690 in my Mac Pro I have the uphill battle of getting it in, but, once it's in I'm on the top of the hill without having to keep finding level ground. With a hackintosh it's constant uphill - checking on updates not breaking any kexts etc etc it's just not maintenance free like my Mac Pro.

In game it is my understanding (I don't game) CPU speed counts. Mac Pros are big in core count and small in clock speed. It would seem to me you gimp the 690 with the MP's slow (relative) processors.

I understand the MP love that's why I old my first hack but....

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
In game it is my understanding (I don't game) CPU speed counts. Mac Pros are big in core count and small in clock speed. It would seem to me you gimp the 690 with the MP's slow (relative) processors.

I understand the MP love that's why I old my first hack but....

A 3.33Ghz 6 core is more than adequate for high end games, don't get me wrong I like to play modern titles and admire the beauty of modern graphics but i'm not a spec junky that needs a super clocked i7. 3.33Ghz suits me just fine. I see your view point but gaming with my Mac Pro isn't its only use.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
A 3.33Ghz 6 core is more than adequate for high end games, don't get me wrong I like to play modern titles and admire the beauty of modern graphics but i'm not a spec junky that needs a super clocked i7. 3.33Ghz suits me just fine. I see your view point but gaming with my Mac Pro isn't its only use.

When this is all said and done I'd be interested in seeing your heaven benchmark, I'd like to compare it to the OC'ed i7's..

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Why? Do you think I'll get poor scores?

I think you'll fall behind..Running my i7 stock I got about 1300ish at 4.5 I got 1500ish, at 4.7 - 5.0 I get 1500ish so there is a point where clock speed stops effecting things. I'd be interested in seeing where that point is on a high dollar graphics card.

I keep learning things about graphics cards and there effect along with what effects them just about every day. I simply won't spend the money to buy high end graphics cards just to find out. So I look at benches, read reviews, and talk to folks to avoid that cost and satisfy my curiosity.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I think you'll fall behind..Running my i7 stock I got about 1300ish at 4.5 I got 1500ish, at 4.7 - 5.0 I get 1500ish so there is a point where clock speed stops effecting things. I'd be interested in seeing where that point is on a high dollar graphics card.

I keep learning things about graphics cards and there effect along with what effects them just about every day. I simply won't spend the money to buy high end graphics cards just to find out. So I look at benches, read reviews, and talk to folks to avoid that cost and satisfy my curiosity.

Ah I see, you come across as a spec enthusiast. I'll be sure to let you know - Am I in for a disappointment with my setup and a 690? Seems to me i'll be able to play my games at their best settings for the foreseeable future.

The point difference between 1300 and 1500, does it make for a noticeable difference in gameplay to the average joe pick up a play type? I sure want a 690 and know the gameplay will be better than 680 long term but i'm not interested in 7 FPS difference because of CPU clock speed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.