Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Here is an excerpt from an article from the January 2013 issue of Consumer Reports:

A fine iPad in a small package
If you're looking for a more portable and affordable iPad, the iPad Mini delivers, our preliminary tests found. Apple has managed to shrink most of what's good about the 9.7 inch iPad into a smaller package.
The screen is good enough.
Resolution is much lower than on the newest full-sized iPad or Nook HD. But the crisp text holds its own against the best 7-inch tablets and the non retina iPad 2. Colors and viewing angles actually match those of the Retina display.
Bottom line.
In shrinking the iPad, Apple didn't compromise much. Instead, it produced a tablet that's better suited, in important ways, for reading.

I'm sure that there are some who may disagree with Consumer Reports. It's not my intent to reopen the iPad Mini Wars or inflame others. I'm just sharing, what I thought was, a good article.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
They didn't bring up anything new that every other review covered. Whether its a positive or negative review seems to depend on whether you mind the screen or not.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Its like when you go watch a film, enjoy it, then read a crap review, your like WTF?

Reviews are so subjective, you really have to see the film or product for yourself.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Creeping out from the Woodwork

Amazing how a simple thread like this can bring out the "ugly" in some people. :(

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Regarding the iPad Mini 1st gen, the following 3 questions should be asked:

1) Was Apple capable of doing better? - yes
2) Should Apple have done better? -yes
3) Was it necessary for Apple to do better? - nope

#3 is why Apple didn't go "all-out" on the iPad Mini - they didn't have to. look how frustrating it has been to get an iPad Mini in a store, whether it's the Apple Store or Best Buy. why introduce new costs with higher resolution displays etc, when the focus point marketing studies already predicted how successful it would be (and predicted correctly). to top it off, Apple is selling every iPad Mini it gets in stock at the store. it wouldn't have made sense to introduce a Mini with higher costs.

#2 is just a personal opinion of mine, as they could have at least put a better resolution display in the Mini (maybe not Retina, but something in between)

#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those other tablets are costing the companies money. The mini is making a profit. As a shareholder, I approve.

The question was "Overpriced compared to what?" to which I answered with the other tablets. Its immaterial whether amazon is selling it at cost or not. The bottom line is that to the consumer, the iPad represents a much higher cost and I really do not care how that benefits apple's shareholders.

With that said, I own an iPad mini, but lets be clear its probably the most expensive 7" tablet out on the market.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better

This is flawed logic as you could also say that since Apple has so much money they could find a way of sticking a 512MB graphics card in the MacBook Air without increasing the weight and thickness or making it run hotter.

I don't believe it was possible to give the Mini a retina display while maintaining a 10 hour battery. Maybe the next one, but not the current one.

So the question is whether Apple should have waited with releasing the Mini or not, and that coimes down to whether you think Apple has the right to make money on something that doesn't meet your standards. The thing is a 6 hour Mini would not meet my standards in the same way that a non-retina Mini doesn't meet yours. Nor would a Mini that is thicker, heavier and runs hotter, and its already been shown that Apple can make a full sized Retina iPad that doesn't run noticibly hotter than the iPad 2.

In the end it's a simple thing, if the Mini doesn't meet your standards, don't buy it.

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Sorry, I have to disagree. Colors are not on par with the retina iPad. They are on par with the iPad 2. There have already been tests on this and its obvious colors are not nearly as saturated as on the iPad 3/4. This is particularly noticeable on anything that is green or purple. The iTunes store icon for example looks obnoxiously undersaturated when comparing to the new iPad. And anything thats supposed to be green has a yellow tinge on the iPad mini/iPad2.

The mini only produces roughly 62% of the Adobe sRGB color spectrum while the iPad 3/4 product 95%+. Lets not get ahead of ourselves calling the iPad mini screen great. Its good not great. Colors are simply not as saturated.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
"The screen is good enough?" Really? Does CP usually rate something high that they determine is "good enough?"

And I disagree with their assessment of the screen. Colors are not on par with the retina models. I like the mini, but I don't have the balls to nearly say the screen is close to a retina iPad.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
This is flawed logic as you could also say that since Apple has so much money they could find a way of sticking a 512MB graphics card in the MacBook Air without increasing the weight and thickness or making it run hotter.

I don't believe it was possible to give the Mini a retina display while maintaining a 10 hour battery. Maybe the next one, but not the current one.

So the question is whether Apple should have waited with releasing the Mini or not, and that coimes down to whether you think Apple has the right to make money on something that doesn't meet your standards. The thing is a 6 hour Mini would not meet my standards in the same way that a non-retina Mini doesn't meet yours. Nor would a Mini that is thicker, heavier and runs hotter, and its already been shown that Apple can make a full sized Retina iPad that doesn't run noticibly hotter than the iPad 2.

In the end it's a simple thing, if the Mini doesn't meet your standards, don't buy it.

it's not flawed logic at all, and we are essentially saying the same thing but there seems to be a misunderstanding.

using your example of a graphics card - i said that apple has so much money and resources that it would be capable of developing its own custom graphics card that would provide extra graphics capabilities in the MBA 11". it wouldn't be cost effective for them to do so, with margins in mind.

back to what i said - battery technology is far behind the rest of the tech world. i said that apple has so much money it could develop its own battery technology (not design the physical layout, but develop new battery technology) if it really wanted to. however as i said in my original post, it wouldn't be cost effective.

i apologize for the misunderstanding, but my post was in response to the many people in here who are criticizing apple for not including a retina display. i was reminding them of the reason behind apple's decisions on this product

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the mini, but I don't have the balls to nearly say the screen is close to a retina iPad.
I certainly hope not since you're a girl :p

I know what you mean - good enough seems bad term to be used by CR in reviewing a product - its doesn't matter whether its an iPad or a nexus. They typically use satisfactory, unsatisfactory in their ratings and perhaps that should have been used.

I like my iPad mini but the screen is not a retina screen

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I certainly hope not since you're a girl :p

I know what you mean - good enough seems bad term to be used by CR in reviewing a product - its doesn't matter whether its an iPad or a nexus. They typically use satisfactory, unsatisfactory in their ratings and perhaps that should have been used.

I like my iPad mini but the screen is not a retina screen

True, I have no balls. :) haha :p

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
back to what i said - battery technology is far behind the rest of the tech world. i said that apple has so much money it could develop its own battery technology (not design the physical layout, but develop new battery technology) if it really wanted to. however as i said in my original post, it wouldn't be cost effective.

I have not yet seen another tablet that states that they have a battery that lasts up to 10 hours. The iPad mini battery was re-designed to be thinner and lighter so that it could fit into the case. It is the thinnest ad lightest battery Apple has developed, and yet it still has the battery life we have all come to expect. Up to 10 hours

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Regarding the iPad Mini 1st gen, the following 3 questions should be asked:

1) Was Apple capable of doing better? - yes
2) Should Apple have done better? -yes
3) Was it necessary for Apple to do better? - nope

#3 is why Apple didn't go "all-out" on the iPad Mini - they didn't have to. look how frustrating it has been to get an iPad Mini in a store, whether it's the Apple Store or Best Buy. why introduce new costs with higher resolution displays etc, when the focus point marketing studies already predicted how successful it would be (and predicted correctly). to top it off, Apple is selling every iPad Mini it gets in stock at the store. it wouldn't have made sense to introduce a Mini with higher costs.

#2 is just a personal opinion of mine, as they could have at least put a better resolution display in the Mini (maybe not Retina, but something in between)

#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better

Amazing to me how some folks can arm chair quarterback the iPad Mini. It's pretty tough to find folks returning their minis because 'Apple could've done better'

As you've said, they're impossible to find and sitting atop the 'Most Wanted' Christmas gift wish list of many.

Battery technology is and has been improving---and evolving. I do believe Apple is using some of that cash for energy R&D---as well as a plethora of 'other' design and engineering challenges. My Mini is well exceeding Apple's 10 hour mark! It's amazing how long it lasts on a single charge

As far as your assertion that Apple could've landed somewhere between Retina and Non---then you're talking about a new resolution...and app incompatibility. That makes NO sense!!

It will come---Apple won't rest on their collective asses and not continue to 'better' the display. At this time, the technology is just NOT available in the yields they would need to bring a retina display to market AND get it in the hands of the masses...They're having a helluva time just getting these current models out!!!

Sorry, I have to disagree. Colors are not on par with the retina iPad. They are on par with the iPad 2. There have already been tests on this and its obvious colors are not nearly as saturated as on the iPad 3/4. This is particularly noticeable on anything that is green or purple. The iTunes store icon for example looks obnoxiously undersaturated when comparing to the new iPad. And anything thats supposed to be green has a yellow tinge on the iPad mini/iPad2.

The mini only produces roughly 62% of the Adobe sRGB color spectrum while the iPad 3/4 product 95%+. Lets not get ahead of ourselves calling the iPad mini screen great. Its good not great. Colors are simply not as saturated.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

I don't think CR went so far as to say the colors were the same...they said the display is 'good'---as did Anand in his very lengthy review---and as would I after owning it and the iPad 3 and 4. No, it doesn't match the color gamut of it's big brother--BUT it's as good or better than MOST consumer monitors and TVs we use each day. The retina iPads are truly and most likely the MOST accurate monitors folks that are buying the iPads have ever owned!!!

Most folks aren't investing in professional NEC color calibrated monitors...they're using the bundled monitors that came with their rig or one of the dozens of sub $300 monitors at Best Buy.

The mini's screen IS good---it's not a color correction monitor for grading RED Raw footage---but for casual use; surfing, movies & music, FB, Twitter, etc...it's just fine. I don't remember these complaints pre-retina...nor do I hear it from MBP owners that aren't retina fortified. If one needs to fill in the Adobe or sRGB gamut, they'll invest in a high end monitor---Most folks will never own such a display...unless they do buy into the retina gear. As it becomes more ubiquitous, folks will enjoy the saturation of colors....but right now, in this day n age of a 'non retina' optimized internet...it's not necessary to enjoy 99% of folks' daily computing task 'needs'

The mini is an excellent piece of engineering...I love mine, and have since purchased one for my folks and another for my son as Christmas gifts. This coming from an iPad 3 & 4 owner, as well as the 15" rMBP

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.