Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:37 AM   #401
Macman45
macrumors G5

There are a couple of things that annoy me...The tiny capacity bar for IOS devices requires a magnifying glass to read...The old larger one was far more visible...But so far wifi connectivity with both my iphone and ipad is proving 100% reliable. This wasn't the case before.

Overall, it HAD to be an improvement over what we put up with for years though...So far, so good.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:26 AM   #402
NewAnger
Banned

It's probably been asked before here but how do I get artwork to display as it did in all previous versions of iTunes on the left of each album?

Thanks
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:57 AM   #403
thebignewt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
It's probably been asked before here but how do I get artwork to display as it did in all previous versions of iTunes on the left of each album?

Thanks
At the top click "Artists". You can resize the iTunes page so the album songs are in one, two, or three columns. You can also choose to put the albums in alphabetical order or chronological order (if you have the years).
thebignewt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #404
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
At the top click "Artists". You can resize the iTunes page so the album songs are in one, two, or three columns. You can also choose to put the albums in alphabetical order or chronological order (if you have the years).
Got it, thanks! I knew I had to just be missing something simple.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:05 AM   #405
thebignewt
macrumors regular

I've been using iTunes 11 for about 5 days and it's thumbs up. A few observations: some complained that you can't resize the artwork, but you certainly can. There are like 6 sizes. They complain about Coverflow going away, but Album view with big size covers is very similar. For me Coverflow was just a visual. It was impossible to scroll through the albums one by one using a mouse or trackpad. You can list albums chronologically. I prefer that with 15 Beatles albums. They complain that album's songs are in 3 columns but you fix that by resizing the page to be narrower. They complain that bitrate, rating, number times played isn't with the songs, but it is in Songs view. You can put in notes, anything. The complain the iTunes DJ is gone but the same song queing feature is easier to use now. They complain that your newly ripped Movies are in Home Movies, but you can change that easily. As I suspected most of the early complaints were just user error, as is usually the case with new stuff. It's pretty good software, and the Store is way better too. It used to be horrible to find a video of an artist you searched for. Now it's right there. Good job Apple.

Last edited by thebignewt; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:09 AM   #406
zhenya
macrumors 68020

^^^ How do I re-size the covers in Album view?
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #407
thebignewt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
^^^ How do I re-size the covers in Album view?
Up at the top. Look at the choices: File, etc. Under one of the is View. I don't have it in front of me but it's all up there under one of the tabs. Or use the Help menu.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:50 AM   #408
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badagri View Post
Does anyone use iWOW with version 11? curious if it has broken anything or not. It used to with some extreme changes in the past.
iWOW works just fine with iTunes 11 - at least, for me and the three Macs I use it on
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:52 AM   #409
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
Up at the top. Look at the choices: File, etc. Under one of the is View. I don't have it in front of me but it's all up there under one of the tabs. Or use the Help menu.
Yeah, it's under View - View Options in the Artists view, but it's not there under Albums. That's why I ask.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:29 PM   #410
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
If only there was a way to resize album art in all the sections

I would like to know how to shuffle my playlists and get it to play my higher rated songs more, like iTunes DJ did

I am sure these are user error and I will find these features soon
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:53 PM   #411
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by michial View Post
After iTunes upgrade being asked to allow incoming permissions every time. Why?
The firewall settings are green allowing incoming connections to iTunes but I still get prompted every time I open it since upgrading yesterday. Any suggestions besides deleting and reinstalling iTunes? Would negating it out of Firewall Options and reopening iTunes add in the correct permission?
I am having the same problem. I have removed and reinstalled iTunes, removed iTunes from the firewall, tried numerous things. The only thing that prevents the message from popping up is to disable the firewall completely, which is what I did since it's a desktop and is behind my Airport Extreme.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #412
ECUpirate44
Banned

Song previews finally continue to play when you change pages in the iTunes store.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:03 PM   #413
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
iWOW works just fine with iTunes 11 - at least, for me and the three Macs I use it on
What version? not the rubbish one with the bulky UI that also installs it's own kernel extensions.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:04 PM   #414
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

Is anyone able to sort podcasts on remote shared iTunes library by date added or date modifies? I cant seem to get the small triangle to show . Not sure if this was possible in earlier versions, although it seems like a obvious feature!

edit (1 min later): Success! With the view options ( + j) you get it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:53 PM   #415
theGrayWorks
macrumors newbie

I only really use iTunes to add music to my iPod and browse the iTunes Store. I'm sure I'll have a few frustrating moments the next time I sync my iPod but I'll figure out the changes.

What bothers me is how an app's product page in the iTunes Store now matches the design of the App Store on my iPod - separating the screenshots/description, reviews, and related apps into separate tabs. This design works well on a small screen but my laptop screen is significantly bigger than 4 inches and Apple wastes that space advantage by requiring me to scroll and click more than previously to get the same information. How is this user-friendly?
theGrayWorks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:00 PM   #416
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Podcast streaming is broken. Can't fast forward when I begin playing a podcast that hasn't been downloaded previously.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:13 AM   #417
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by badagri View Post
what version? Not the rubbish one with the bulky ui that also installs it's own kernel extensions.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:03 AM   #418
McScooby
macrumors regular

All in all I'm liking the new iTunes, sure at first there were annoyances (such as search full library which gave ever ending beachballs) but the only two issues I now face are genius giving the 4002 error code (i think) where it won't update and the biggie, movie metadata is completely random, I can search for an artist/director and it may or may not show up, even though the file when expanded has the name there, I've updated my metadata, updated spotlight but to no avail, any ideas??
McScooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:32 AM   #419
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Cool, all installed. Quite like this version.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:16 PM   #420
papoopeepoo
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to papoopeepoo
Why can't I open more than one window at once? This boosts my time for editing my library or matching reimported CDs to existing lists. Looks very Windoze to me.

Why is editing ID3 tags such a hassle now compared to iTunes 10? Seems very Windoze to me.

Why is there no more preference for gap-less playback?

Why can't I get rid of the existance of iTunes Match all together? They won't let me use it because I have more than 25k songs, but I can't get it out of my sight.

Why is snap-back gone and replaced with a complicated system? All I want is to go back to the song I'm listening to after browsing, not click, scroll through a list, then hope it brings me back to the song not a picture of the album and a useless list with no information.

Why do buttons keep getting smaller and more crammed together as screen resolutions expand?

Some things are good with this update, but most suck. Apple is no longer catering to the power user or the audiophile. I'm very nervous to see what they have in store for Logic.
papoopeepoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:55 PM   #421
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

I think think people who saw Coverflow as pointless are confusing navigation with display.

Sure, as a form of navigation, Coverplay was hopeless, but that wasn't how most of us used it. Stick a playlist on, select Coverflow and full-screen and you had an absolutely gorgeous visual experience to accompany the music.

For me, that's why the jury's still out on iTunes 11. Overall, it's a much slicker UI, but I still miss Coverflow and may yet downgrade for that reason.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:13 PM   #422
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpamyelhsa View Post
Rather ironic that you can't select iTunes ver 11 when giving feedback on it ...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #423
Zgozvrm
macrumors newbie

Won't miss Cover Flow

While I appreciated how nice "Cover Flow" looked, I never found it useful. With large libraries (I have over 12,000 songs), it often took too long to update album cover artwork. So, unless you were willing to wait, all you saw while "flipping through the albums" was the generic gray album cover. In addition (and this is still a problem), if you didn't have your library set up perfectly, you were often shown the same album art several times in a row.

Yes, the programming to do that was awesome and it produced a great visual effect, but it won't be missed.
Zgozvrm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #424
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgozvrm View Post
While I appreciated how nice "Cover Flow" looked, I never found it useful. With large libraries (I have over 12,000 songs), it often took too long to update album cover artwork. So, unless you were willing to wait, all you saw while "flipping through the albums" was the generic gray album cover.
Eh? I have 15,558 songs and I've never had to wait for album art to be displayed. Admittedly I have a fairly high-spec machine, but that was also true of the C2D one before it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:36 PM   #425
rebo0ot
macrumors newbie

3 Finger Swipe missing?

I just installed iTunes 11 on my Macbook Pro and while in the Apple Store browsing movies, etc., when I use the 3 finger swipe to go back 1 page, nothing happens so I now have to click on the back button on the upper left of the window. Anyone else experiencing this?
rebo0ot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion