Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Does anyone have recommendations for a diskless ThunderBolt or USB3 four drive bay? I want to find something that could accomodate about four disks (two depending upon price, since I see that ThunderBolt isn't cheap).

I want to also have the ability to turn certain disks on and off. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

I have looked high and low, so I would like to hear from other forum members.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I am interested in this also. I have found a few USB3 options, but all seem to have some shaky reviews or specs. I think I'm just going to go for a single USB3 or NAS solution instead.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Yeah a lot of what I see looks cheap. I guess I may have to pay more than I was anticipating. I want something that looks classy next to the iMac.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Does anyone have recommendations for a diskless ThunderBolt or USB3 four drive bay? I want to find something that could accomodate about four disks (two depending upon price, since I see that ThunderBolt isn't cheap).

I want to also have the ability to turn certain disks on and off. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

I have looked high and low, so I would like to hear from other forum members.

Yes there is a TB | eSATA | USB3.0 - triple interface five drive supports hardware RAID/JBOD
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/thunderbolt-esata-usb3-0-hardware-raid-jbod-driverless.html

Or a simple five drive JBOD USB3.0 is here
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/jbod-raid-data-storage-solutions/desktop/5-6-bay-enclosures.html

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have yet to see anybody sell a TB enclosure without selling included hard drives.

Drobo sells a 5bay, USB and TB enclosure. $849 empty.

and @Mr. Retrofire, unless they've recently changed the drives to WD Reds, my Thunderbolt Duos have Green Drives.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i posted this in another thread, but the short story (for me anyway) is that the cineraid 4-bay usb 3.0/esata enclosure just does not work with OSX. if you check the newegg 1 and 2 egg reviews you will see that other people are reporting the same thing. these enclosures use jmicron usb-sata chipsets. i would not be surprised if every 4-bay usb 3.0 enclosure uses the same chip.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Promise Pegasus J4 was just announced as a 4 bay 2.5" TB enclosure. I believe there are two models, one with 4x500GB HDD and one with empty bays.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Drobo sells a 5bay, USB and TB enclosure. $849 empty.

and @Mr. Retrofire, unless they've recently changed the drives to WD Reds, my Thunderbolt Duos have Green Drives.

$849 empty, I must LOL.

the WD comes with green, not red drives since its fanless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.