Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,

On my iPhone 5 I have jut noticed that only 1 speaker is working...

I possibly may have water damaged the device, but everything else works properly.

I have dropped it before and put a few nice chips in it...

Is there anything that Apple would do for me?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hi all,

I possibly may have water damaged the device, but everything else works properly.

Not including the earpiece speaker, the iPhone 5 has only one speaker:

Note: iPhone has one speaker, which is adjacent to the dock connector. On iPhone 4 or later models, the speaker is to the right of the dock connector. On earlier iPhone models, the speaker is to the left of the dock connector.
Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi all,

You should give them a call and ask how to repair it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If a new member asks this I tend to believe they genuinely didn't know but OP, you're not exactly new buddy. ;)

Wasn't the fact that the iPhone only has one speaker a sticky at some point?

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I'm talking about when I play music for instance, sound only comes out of the holes on the right side of the Lightening port? (the side with 16 holes)

The side on the left (10 holes) has nothing come out of it

----------

If a new member asks this I tend to believe they genuinely didn't know but OP, you're not exactly new buddy. ;)

Wasn't the fact that the iPhone only has one speaker a sticky at some point?

I have been a member of the forum for a while... I come on here to read a few things out of interest occasionally. By no means am I an expert :)

I geniunely don't know. I saw the holes on both sides of the Lightening port so i assumed that sound came out of both of them? Haha

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm talking about when I play music for instance, sound only comes out of the holes on the right side of the Lightening port? (the side with 16 holes)

----------

I have been a member of the forum for a while... I come on here to read a few things out of interest occasionally. By no means am I an expert :)

I geniunely don't know. I saw the holes on both sides of the Lightening port so i assumed that sound came out of both of them? Haha

Fair enough and I venture to guess we all wondered whenever we got our first iPhone. I know when I got the first gen iPhone I thought something was wrong. Thank goodness Apple Discussions had many more members like me who asked before I did. :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

The diagram below should explain the difference in function between the sets of holes. :)

specs_connectors.jpg

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Yep, your iphone is fine. :) don't worry

Edit: looks like aristobrat beat me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.