Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1
liquidsense
macrumors member

Need help deselecting group of files with pointer

I'm embarrassed to say it, but for the last 5 years that I've been using a mac, I've never known how to do a relatively simple task on my PC.

Say I have a folder with 15 images in list view. I press "cmd a" to select all the items in the folder. Now, let's say I want to de-select files 5 through 10. How do I do that?

On a PC, I would just hold ctrl, then hit file 5, then hold ctrl+shift, and hit file 10. But, on the mac, when I do that (with cmd rather than ctrl), it simply deselects 5 and 10.

I would think, intuitively, this should work. If I'm selecting (rather than de-selecting), then cmd+shift works just fine!
liquidsense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
I'm embarrassed to say it, but for the last 5 years that I've been using a mac, I've never known how to do a relatively simple task on my PC.

Say I have a folder with 15 images in list view. I press "cmd a" to select all the items in the folder. Now, let's say I want to de-select files 5 through 10. How do I do that?

On a PC, I would just hold ctrl, then hit file 5, then hold ctrl+shift, and hit file 10. But, on the mac, when I do that (with cmd rather than ctrl), it simply deselects 5 and 10.

I would think, intuitively, this should work. If I'm selecting (rather than de-selecting), then cmd+shift works just fine!
Once you've selected a range of items, hold the Command key and click each one you want to deselect. You can't deselect a range within a range that has been selected.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:54 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba

If no file is selected, select the first file, hold down COMMAND and select the rest of the files one by one while holding down the CMD key.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
liquidsense
macrumors member

Wow. Really? You can't select particular files, as well as particular ranges?

So, for instance, on a PC, if I were *selecting* files, i could hold ctrl and click three random files, then (while continually pressing ctrl) I could press and hold shift and click a file 10 files away and get the entire range (between the last two clicked files) added into my selection. Same is true for the inverse for deselection.

You can't do that on OSX?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
Wow. Really? You can't select particular files, as well as particular ranges?

So, for instance, on a PC, if I were *selecting* files, i could hold ctrl and click three random files, then (while continually pressing ctrl) I could press and hold shift and click a file 10 files away and get the entire range (between the last two clicked files) added into my selection. Same is true for the inverse for deselection.

You can't do that on OSX?
You can:
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:41 AM   #6
liquidsense
macrumors member

Just what I was looking for. Thank you, kind sir. The difference between mac and pc, then, is that you don't simultaneously hold the buttons for the mac. And, the specific range deselect doesn't work.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Once you've selected a range of items, hold the Command key and click each one you want to deselect. You can't deselect a range within a range that has been selected.
The video posted only shows selecting a range that hasn't been selected. It does not show deselecting a range from within a selected range, which was your question. I haven't seen any method of doing that in Finder.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The video posted only shows selecting a range that hasn't been selected. It does not show deselecting a range from within a selected range, which was your question. I haven't seen any method of doing that in Finder.
I agree and tried that, but it does not work. Strange, but then, I never had to use that feature before yesterday in order to try it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help