Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
rufnek2kx
macrumors newbie

iBook G3 and Airport card upgrade

Hi All,

I have recently been given an ibook g3 to restore back to factory settings and had a question regarding the wireless connectivity of it. Most wifi networks that it will be used in are WPA2 protected however the wireless card (Airport Original) will only allow me to connect to a WPA protected network. I was wondering whether it was possible to change the card to Airport Extreme and whether this will allow me to connect to WPA2 networks? I have had a look at other threads and upgrades dont seem to be discussed much.

I appreciate that I can change the settings from the router to make it work but it will be a pain as the user will be travelling between locations and will constantly have to do this, so thus it is unfeasible.

Thanks,

Edit: Forgot to add, it is running on OS 10.4.11

Last edited by rufnek2kx; Dec 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
rufnek2kx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
MacinDan
macrumors regular

Yours won't take an Airport extreme card, but can get a wireless usb dongle. Just make sure it works with usb 1.1 'cause that iBook doesn't have usb 2.0.
MacinDan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnek2kx View Post
Hi All,

I have recently been given an ibook g3 to restore back to factory settings and had a question regarding the wireless connectivity of it. Most wifi networks that it will be used in are WPA2 protected however the wireless card (Airport Original) will only allow me to connect to a WPA protected network. I was wondering whether it was possible to change the card to Airport Extreme and whether this will allow me to connect to WPA2 networks? I have had a look at other threads and upgrades dont seem to be discussed much.

I appreciate that I can change the settings from the router to make it work but it will be a pain as the user will be travelling between locations and will constantly have to do this, so thus it is unfeasible.

Thanks,

Edit: Forgot to add, it is running on OS 10.4.11
When APE crapped out on my iBook, I got a USB WiFi Signal Booster on eBay for $13. I've yet to go anywhere where I don't get a strong signal, much better than APE.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs