Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Jackintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Romney disappointed and depressed

Apparently the Romney household is still in shock over the loss. Mitt bored and unfocused without a hectic schedule. The family ordering out from fast food restaurants. Ann quietly sobbing at night.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...lrYSmaI8pcOauL

From:
http://wonkette.com/491155/ann-and-m...i-millionaires

Quote:
Mitt Romney is SO VERY SAD, you guys. All he wanted was to be President. That’s it. He had a dream, just a simple dream, and You People crushed it. So now he spends his days alone, shuffling around in his $1000 bathrobes, talking to secret service personnel that aren’t there. And Ann! This has been ESPECIALLY hard on Ann, who is Above all of this.

Are we bad people because we are kind of happy to learn that Ann Romney spends her days “crying softly,” trying desperately to adjust to a life filled with mansions and Austrian warmbloods instead of political events and secret service motorcades?

By all accounts, the past month has been most difficult on Romney’s wife, Ann, who friends said believed up until the end that ascending to the White House was their destiny. They said she has been crying in private and trying to get back to riding her horses.

Last edited by balamw; Dec 4, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: QUOTE tags
Jackintosh is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:23 AM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Thank you for this update, it made my day.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
TSE
macrumors 68030
 
TSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
I think it's kind of ridiculous how they are sad because they lost, but I don't find the jokes about being rich giving them an excuse to not be sad viable. Believe it or not, money does not bring happiness and plenty of poor people are much, much happier than multi-millionaires and a lot of extremely rich people have a void in their life that keeps them down.

Regardless, the Romneys are pretty whacky people.
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz Quad-Core i7 Processor, 15" 1680x1050 Anti-Glare LCD, 16gbs of RAM, 500gb Samsung 840 evo SSD, AMD Radeon 6750M HD, Mac OS X + Windows 7 Ultimate
TSE is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:48 AM   #4
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
Apparently the Romney household is still in shock over the loss. Mitt bored and unfocused without a hectic schedule. The family ordering out from fast food restaurants. Ann quietly sobbing at night.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...lrYSmaI8pcOauL

From:
http://wonkette.com/491155/ann-and-m...i-millionaires

"Mitt Romney is SO VERY SAD, you guys. All he wanted was to be President. That’s it. He had a dream, just a simple dream, and You People crushed it. So now he spends his days alone, shuffling around in his $1000 bathrobes, talking to secret service personnel that aren’t there. And Ann! This has been ESPECIALLY hard on Ann, who is Above all of this.

Are we bad people because we are kind of happy to learn that Ann Romney spends her days “crying softly,” trying desperately to adjust to a life filled with mansions and Austrian warmbloods instead of political events and secret service motorcades?

By all accounts, the past month has been most difficult on Romney’s wife, Ann, who friends said believed up until the end that ascending to the White House was their destiny. They said she has been crying in private and trying to get back to riding her horses."
Mitt Romney's goal should have been to help the country get back on it's feet. These people are disgusting.

Clearly from what we've read, the country made the right decision.
leekohler is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
This is great news!

I wonder if the whaaaaambulance fits in the car elevator.
zioxide is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:52 AM   #6
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Mitt Romney's goal should have been to help the country get back on it's feet.
Some people are not imbued with the ability to help, and Mitt is definitely one of those people.

Himself, you bet, but others .... sorry Charley.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:01 AM   #7
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Like many posting here, I am relieved that we did not elect Romney. Having said that, we should not vilify him or wish him ill. Leave the man be (unless he re-engages with politics).
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
leenak
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I think it is ok to be a little disappointed that you didn't win an election. I also agree that him and his family should be left alone but I think that generally about the personal lives of people.
leenak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
This is a story that can't be real. Something you expect out of the tabloids like the enquirer.
quagmire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:34 AM   #10
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Mitt Romney's goal should have been to help the country get back on it's feet. These people are disgusting.

Clearly from what we've read, the country made the right decision.
The part you bolded is purely editorialization. Both the linked articles seem to be giant fluff pieces with little facts. The Wonkette article is horribly out of context and the New York Post article isn't much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
This is a story that can't be real. Something you expect out of the tabloids like the enquirer.
It pretty much is. Both stories are based on twisted facts or hearsay.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.
SilentPanda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Jackintosh
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Jackintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
The part you bolded is purely editorialization. Both the linked articles seem to be giant fluff pieces with little facts. The Wonkette article is horribly out of context and the New York Post article isn't much better.



It pretty much is. Both stories are based on twisted facts or hearsay.
"Twisted facts" usually means disagreement with a news story because one doesn't like the information presented. The veracity of the story is based on reports from friends and acquaintances, disagree with that or not. Any editorialization is a point of view and opinion, in this case a commentary on the piece, which is the point of the forum.
Jackintosh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:10 AM   #12
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
"Twisted facts" usually means disagreement with a news story because one doesn't like the information presented. The veracity of the story is based on reports from friends and acquaintances, disagree with that or not. The rules here require commentary on news quoted from web sources, hence the "editorialization".
I'm not a Romney fan, but the wonkette piece sounds like it's not really meant to be serious, and the Shields article doesn't quote any sources other than "friends".

(I'm not disputing that you followed the rules here, I'm just commenting on how I interpret the linked-to articles.)
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
"Twisted facts" usually means disagreement with a news story because one doesn't like the information presented. The veracity of the story is based on reports from friends and acquaintances, disagree with that or not. The rules here require commentary on news quoted from web sources, hence the "editorialization".
I don't particularly care for Romney. By twisted facts I mean things like "They ordered Boston market for Thanksgiving, therefore they must be too sad to make Thanksgiving dinner." The stories you linked to take facts and quietly add editorialization on. They also state that "Romney is cleaning out bedpans" when he's simply made the offer to a friend in potential need. They're trying to make it look like he's "reduced" himself to cleaning up urine when instead he's offering help to a friend.

I have no issue with anti-Romney news. I dislike the man quite a bit. But neither of these stories are news.

Also I don't see anywhere in the articles where it says Mitt Romney is disappointed or sad. It says Ann Romney's friends report she is crying in private but nothing about Mitt. They don't state why she's crying in private or how they know she's crying in private (doesn't seem very private if they know IMO). And so what if she's sad? I'd be sad too if I was that close to the White House and lost.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.

Last edited by SilentPanda; Dec 4, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
SilentPanda is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:58 AM   #14
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
It is extremely common in this situation for people to feel down after the constant excitement of a high profile campaign. I take no pleasure in Ann Romney's disappointment, even if the tabloid readers do.

On the other hand, I think a Romney Presidency would have been a major disaster.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM   #15
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Didn't want Romney as president, but it sucks that he probably is upset and everything. I imagine I would be.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #16
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Didn't want Romney as president, but it sucks that he probably is upset and everything. I imagine I would be.
Well boohoo.

He had no qualms about crushing people's dreams, so **** 'em.
iJohnHenry is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816
 
CorvusCamenarum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Birmingham, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
This is great news!

I wonder if the whaaaaambulance fits in the car elevator.
Way to take cheap shots at a man while he's obviously down. You stay classy now.
__________________
Much of modern liberalism consists of people trying to get revenge on the football players to whom they felt inferior in school.
CorvusCamenarum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
It is extremely common in this situation for people to feel down after the constant excitement of a high profile campaign. I take no pleasure in Ann Romney's disappointment, even if the tabloid readers do.

On the other hand, I think a Romney Presidency would have been a major disaster.
Excellent post, and I broadly agree with you.

I also think a Mitt Romney presidency would have been a catastrophic choice on the part of the US electorate, had they chosen him, which, very fortunately for them and for the rest of the planet, they didn't.

I don't take any pleasure in noting the depression that often accompanies major set-backs, and which possibly afflicts Mr Romney and his immediate family at present, but I do think the tone of schadenfreude which is clear from the articles which were cited, (and from a few posts as well) comes from a very specific place when we are discussing ex-candidate Mr Romney.

For, it is of relevance to point out that this is a man who had an almost bottomless sense of entitlement. More telling still, remarks he made during the campaign clearly showed that he had limited concern, respect and understanding of the have-nots, and the lives they lead.

Indeed, it showed all too clearly that he had no awareness at all of how life may throw problems at those for whom things have not worked out, or were born in the wrong place, (or fell into the wrong place, through unemployment or something similar), or were born the wrong colour, the wrong gender, the wrong ethnicity, in other words, those who were unable to demonstrate by their respective life stories, that they were not of the derided 47%.

If his depression teaches Mr Romney a bit of compassion, or empathy, it may be a very worthwhile lesson, not that one wishes such mental pain on anyone. Indeed, if it teaches him the valuable lesson that dreams do not always come true (even if you have the financial means to aim at the stars), that life does not always work out and that consequent policies of blaming the victim are wrong-headed and unfair, then, well, his alleged depression may well have done the US some service.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:38 PM   #19
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Dude runs for President for the past 7 years and loses and he's upset. Shocking.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
A bummer he's depressed. But he'll probably decide tomorrow that's he's happy. And on Wednesday, he'll decide that he's really depressed. Thursday, he'll be happy again.
Moyank24 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:35 PM   #21
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
A bummer he's depressed. But he'll probably decide tomorrow that's he's happy. And on Wednesday, he'll decide that he's really depressed. Thursday, he'll be happy again.
It doesn't say in any of the articles that he's depressed. A "friend" says his wife is crying privately (which is a crappy source in the first place and doesn't say why she's crying if true) and then the articles go on tangents belittling the Romney family for either being too rich or wondering why they're doing things in a not rich and perfect manner. "Romney didn't have perfectly manicured hair and a smile on his face when a stealth shot was taken by the paparazzi. Haha!" That's what the articles have amounted to.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:44 PM   #22
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
It doesn't say in any of the articles that he's depressed. A "friend" says his wife is crying privately (which is a crappy source in the first place and doesn't say why she's crying if true) and then the articles go on tangents belittling the Romney family for either being too rich or wondering why they're doing things in a not rich and perfect manner. "Romney didn't have perfectly manicured hair and a smile on his face when a stealth shot was taken by the paparazzi. Haha!" That's what the articles have amounted to.
Which is exactly why my analysis on the situation is awesomer.
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:51 PM   #23
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
I too am glad Romney didn't get elected. Besides the countless flip flips on issues, clear lack of support for the non-wealthy, and downright lying the main reason I didn't vote for him is because I can't support a president who doesn't want equal rights for all citizens. There is zero excuse for that.

I don't feel bad for him, he made his own bed. Maybe through this the GOP will come to realize that non-male, non-Christians, non-Caucasians, and non-heterosexuals are people too, people who pay taxes that pay the elected officials paychecks.
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #24
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
#(not)firstladyproblems
__________________
Nexus 6 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Jackintosh
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Jackintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Ok, maybe no direct evidence of being depressed. But who wouldn't be after committing so much time, money, and emotional investment? He'd have to be a robot not to feel disappointment and remorse, which are all related.

I have to agree with the post that had he gotten elected, Obamacare would have been tossed, causing undue misery for those who would have benefited from medical care they can't afford. So I feel no need for any compassion in his disappointment/depression and even making fun of it a little, though I don't take pleasure in any pain he may feel about it.

Last edited by Jackintosh; Dec 4, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to get depressed... puma1552 Community Discussion 25 Jan 2, 2014 11:40 PM
iPnoe 5 disconnecting: I'm depressed omeletpants iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Aug 7, 2013 10:23 PM
Siri isn't depressed anymore! Armen iOS 7 2 Jul 9, 2013 12:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC