Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1
El Awesome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Water-cooled PowerMac G5: Leak testing

Hey guys,

I just got a PowerMac G5. The previous owner took out the DVD drive and the PSU, RAM and the GPU.
He said that the machine didn't start anymore.

So, I'm left with the Mainboard, the original fans and the CPUs.
Interestingly, this is the 2.7Ghz Water-cooled machine. Seems to be very rare!
I am trying to find out what parts still work on the machine.
My first guess was a leak in the WC-system. But I can't see any physical damage there.
Is there any way to test the Mainboard or the CPUs if they still work?
The 2.7Ghz Wc'd CPUs are worth quite some $$.

An idea would be to take the Waterblocks out, and let water flow through them. If I see a leak, the case is clear. Regular leak-testing stuff.
Can you guys help me a bit?
Thanks!
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT

Last edited by El Awesome; Dec 3, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Colpeas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.
I don't think you won a jackpot by getting this computer. For $200 you can buy a working late-2005 quad 2.5Ghz pci-e, so if you wanted to get your dual 2.7 working, you'd probably spend more cash than for how much you'd be able to sell it.

Even if there was no leak (AFAIK, in DP 2.7s, there was a LCS system by Panasonic, which used to be quite prone to break) it doesn't necessarily mean that the mobo/cpu is fine. If the reason why it died was a PSU failure, it is possible that it damaged the other component too.
My advice? Sell it for parts. Perhaps you could try to convince guys at your local store to test the mobo and CPUs for you...

Last edited by Colpeas; Dec 3, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
I don't think you won a jackpot by getting this computer. For $200 you can buy a working late-2005 quad 2.5Ghz pci-e, so if you wanted to get your dual 2.7 working, you'd probably spend more cash than for how much you'd be able to sell it.

Even if there was no leak (AFAIK, in DP 2.7s, there was a LCS system by Panasonic, which used to be quite prone to break) it doesn't necessarily mean that the mobo/cpu is fine. If the reason why it died was a PSU failure, it is possible that it damaged the other component too.
My advice? Sell it for parts. Perhaps you could try to convince guys at your local store to test the mobo and CPUs for you...
I actually only need the case itself. I was very surprised that the owner left some things in it - he said he doesen't know if they work.
You sure the system is made by Panasonic? It says Delphi on some of the parts.
My plan is to sell the Mac in parts, except for the case. I just want to test the WC-system.
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Colpeas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks. But i tell you, if something went wrong with the PSU, CPU and mobo are probably screwed too. Happened to me personally.

Have it tested and if it's OK, sell the parts - you'll get some dough for the CPU, as they're hard to get these days. You're building hackintosh, right?
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Hallivand
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks.
Hang on, weren't the earlier water cooled models Delphi and more prone to leaks? Isn't that why they switch to Panasonic in the later revisions, therefore leaks in the Quad G5 and such became rather rare then.
__________________
It must be Grand. Extravagant. Magnificent.
Hallivand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
drorpheus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
this thread is filled with mis information.

OP, there are two Liquid Cooling systems for your Dual 2.7. The original was the Delphi which were all prone to leaking from ****** O-rings, it also runs on one pump. The replacement LCS was made by Panasonic w/ 2 pumps, which has never leaked unless someone tampered with it and broke it along the way, anyone who says it leaks is full of ****. They made under 1000 Panasonic units as it was a fix for big corporate accounts where the public got jerked around.

Theres numerous threads on how to take apart and rebuild the delphi units, but you'll need to learn how to disassemble the mac and put it back together, its not hard. If you want I can make you a guide on how to do it.

You'll need a 600W power supply since its missing. They run around $60 on ebay, if you were looking to keep it, a Panasonic LCS w/CPUs is going for $80 on ebay. Logic Board is usually $100. Thats the whole computer.
drorpheus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 AM   #7
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks. But i tell you, if something went wrong with the PSU, CPU and mobo are probably screwed too. Happened to me personally.

Have it tested and if it's OK, sell the parts - you'll get some dough for the CPU, as they're hard to get these days. You're building hackintosh, right?
See below, the Delphi systems are the ones that doesen't really hold for a long time.

And yes, I bought the case for some modding plans. I actually don't know exactley what to do with it, either I build a hackintosh or I'll use it as a Radbox for a watercooled system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallivand View Post
Hang on, weren't the earlier water cooled models Delphi and more prone to leaks? Isn't that why they switch to Panasonic in the later revisions, therefore leaks in the Quad G5 and such became rather rare then.
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorpheus View Post
this thread is filled with mis information.

OP, there are two Liquid Cooling systems for your Dual 2.7. The original was the Delphi which were all prone to leaking from ****** O-rings, it also runs on one pump. The replacement LCS was made by Panasonic w/ 2 pumps, which has never leaked unless someone tampered with it and broke it along the way, anyone who says it leaks is full of ****. They made under 1000 Panasonic units as it was a fix for big corporate accounts where the public got jerked around.

Theres numerous threads on how to take apart and rebuild the delphi units, but you'll need to learn how to disassemble the mac and put it back together, its not hard. If you want I can make you a guide on how to do it.

You'll need a 600W power supply since its missing. They run around $60 on ebay, if you were looking to keep it, a Panasonic LCS w/CPUs is going for $80 on ebay. Logic Board is usually $100. Thats the whole computer.
Thanks for the info, but you too misunderstood me a little.
I only want to check if the things work, I don't want to get the whole Mac working again. So I want to see if the Watercooling system has any leaks, and if the CPU/Mobo still works.
I simply don't know how to do this, this is why I created this thread. I don't want to spend money on a PSU.
Although, I own a 2009 Mac Pro - I could use the PSU of the Mac Pro to test - would that work?

The previous owner told me that as far as he remembers, if he pressed the power button, the LED blinked and that was it. He doesen't remember whether the fans were spinning or not. He didn't try a PMU reset or stuff like that because he wanted to switch to Intel anyway.
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT

Last edited by El Awesome; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
drorpheus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
the only way you'd be able to check if they work is with the power supply, because you'd have to run ASD 2.5.8 and see if everything passes or fails, but without power you'll never get there.

For the cpu's you can remove them off the cooling blocks and see how much coolant built up on the transistors, and clean them, thats about all you can do.

The powersupply wont work from a Macpro because they have different connectors for the motherboard, and same for the mother board, you wont be able to tell if it works without power, so your kind of stuck for the time being. What is common is when the LCS leaks, it drips onto the powersupply and shorts it out.
drorpheus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
I'd make a pretty cool rad box
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:15 PM   #10
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I'd make a pretty cool rad box
Thats the plan so far.

Tried to dissamble the LCS today, I failed because my hex wrench was too short. Dammit.
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:37 PM   #11
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
Thats the plan so far.

Tried to dissamble the LCS today, I failed because my hex wrench was too short. Dammit.
The question is how are you going to get the tubing out of the back of the MP or is a hack in your future.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The question is how are you going to get the tubing out of the back of the MP or is a hack in your future.
Simple: There are PCIe slot blends for that, with extra holes in it. If that fails, I'll simply do some metalwork.
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:18 AM   #13
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
Simple: There are PCIe slot blends for that, with extra holes in it. If that fails, I'll simply do some metalwork.
That would work..smaller diameter tube and take out an x1 slot..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #14
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Finally managed to dissample the CPU-unit.
I made some pictures:




CPU 1:





CPU 2:


Looks like a leak, doesen't it?
Well, I hardly found any corrosion on the CPUs, only on the water block. Is that enough to kill a whole CPU?

Thanks!
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:17 AM   #15
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Bump? No one?
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:36 PM   #16
666sheep
macrumors 68030
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
Bumping is not allowed on MR, FYI

Crystals on CPU daughtercard are IMO not enough to kill it (from what I can see on pics at least). But without testing them in second working system you won't be able to know for sure.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:38 PM   #17
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
Bumping is not allowed on MR, FYI

Crystals on CPU daughtercard are IMO not enough to kill it (from what I can see on pics at least). But without testing them in second working system you won't be able to know for sure.
Oh sorry, didn't know that.

I spoke to my chemistry teacher today, he said he'll try to find out a way to get rid of the corrosion with some liquid stuff.

Thanks for the input!
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:42 PM   #18
666sheep
macrumors 68030
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
I spoke to my chemistry teacher today, he said he'll try to find out a way to get rid of the corrosion with some liquid stuff.
AFAIR clean water with small amount of soap will do the job.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:26 PM   #19
El Awesome
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
AFAIR clean water with small amount of soap will do the job.
Oh rly? Okay, worth a try. Thanks!
How do you do that?
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:46 PM   #20
666sheep
macrumors 68030
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
Never done it personally, I've read about it somewhere TBH. Clean water won't cause damage to electronics if you'll dry it well. I'd wash it gently with distilled water + little soap, then wash it again with clean water.

Check this article out for more detailed info about 2.7 Delphi LCS rebuilding: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G...Repair_p1.html
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert PMG5 from Liquid-Cooled to Aircooled iamMacPerson PowerPC Macs 15 Mar 20, 2014 12:29 AM
2005 G5 DP 2.7 Ghz liquid cooled rogerdee123 Mac Pro 2 Oct 26, 2013 07:44 PM
Powermac G5: Testing PRAM Battery? VideoBeagle PowerPC Macs 5 Jul 17, 2013 01:54 PM
How much would you spend on a water cooled MacBook Pro stand smellalot MacBook Pro 36 Dec 13, 2012 03:32 PM
PowerMac G5 Quad Air-cooled? ihuman:D PowerPC Macs 10 Oct 14, 2012 04:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC