Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:57 AM   #76
AndrewClarke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Besides being obviously beneficial to Apple, this is also an example of spreading parts of North American culture and experiences outside of politics to the world. There is a craving for our cultural and artistic content.

Rocketman
There is nothing stopping a music producer in Zimbabwe from adding their music to the iTunes music store. They may even decide to sell that music in the US. They may have been selling that music in the US for the last several years, but you didn't notice it because you're not looking for it. For example, https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/o...dzi/id56551652.

People in Zimbabwe, United States, or Moldova may be looking for "North American" music. They may also be looking for Zimbabwean, Moldovan, or Kyrgistani music. That's the beauty of the world in which we live.
AndrewClarke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:13 AM   #77
SWPROX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
True... If I just want a single track I am not going to purchase the whole album fromt he store.. .Which was the only option... Hence, we had to resort to that...

Well seems you have been abroad for a long time... Times are a changing my friend... But, yes piracy is still rampant... But then if cineplexes steal by charging 500 quid a movie, then you can't blame them for stealing music... lol... And yes I am labelled a fool amongst my friends... But, then I don't think paying Rs. 7/- - Rs. 15/- per song... Yes paying Rs. 300 for the whole album when I just wanted a single track was ridiculous...

I am happy movies have been launched too... I can enjoy the HD movies by renting them at Rs. 120/- and watch it with my family on my 50" for Rs. 120/- rather than spending 400/- to 500/- per person... Ofcourse those blockbusters I will still prefer watching in a movie hall... But not every movie...

Yes rightly said... But, Flyte isn't that big yet... And it has just recently launched... Not many people are aware... So since both are just starting up I think iTunes has a better chance of success... Unless Flipkart improves its collection and experience quickly...
No buddy,I still visit in summers,and rightly said,flyte I haven't even heard of till now,just checked out it's a service of flipkart,and as you said,people who pay are a tiny minority.And yes multiplexes charge like crazy
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #78
fivenotrump
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Hah! Moldova, Belarus...

Like those are real places.

Nice one Apple.
I understand your confusion. The English names are Moldavia and White Russia.
fivenotrump is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:09 PM   #79
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
BTW: The smallest country in the world!
I thought Sealand had everyone beat.
Aeolius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #80
playspeed
macrumors newbie

I'm from Russia, live abroad though, I say the prices are the same, but as they are converted to national currencies they are somewhat a little more expensive if the card were charged in original dollar price. The good thing is that Russian artists and companies can distribute the contact legally, many people are happy to buy rare USA records, and the ability to purchase legally the content that they didn't had an access to otherwise than illegal download.
playspeed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:38 PM   #81
j4zb4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by playspeed View Post
I'm from Russia, live abroad though, I say the prices are the same, but as they are converted to national currencies they are somewhat a little more expensive if the card were charged in original dollar price. The good thing is that Russian artists and companies can distribute the contact legally, many people are happy to buy rare USA records, and the ability to purchase legally the content that they didn't had an access to otherwise than illegal download.
Yea it is more expensive than the bank directly converting it... But I think its to safeguard the devs and themselves incase Dollar prices really fell in the future... Currently its almost the same...
j4zb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:35 PM   #82
j4zb4
Banned

The store is a bit of a disappointment when it comes to movies here in India... Very few hollywood movies are listed, and even those are quite old... Same for Bollywood movies... I can only hope it improves over the next few months...
j4zb4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:45 PM   #83
dmarkman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
I don't know about Turkey, but only a tiny part of Russian population (IIRC ~7%) lives on the eastern side of the country, and most of them are indigenous peoples of Asia (much like the native Americans in the USA or the aboriginal people of Australia) basically what you get beyond the Ural mountains (which separate Europe from Asia) is wild nature. Russia did colonized Asian territories in the 17th century but they never had enough manpower to make them something you'd call a populated territory. I did a paper on that.
then your paper contains false information

Moscow region - ~12 million people
St. Petersburg region - ~8 million people

so only in Moscow/Petersburg alone live about 15% of Russian Federation population

in European part of RF live about 80 % of RF population
in European part is about 25% of RF area
dmarkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #84
Foxykhat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
It many of these countries people can't even afford a normal mobile phone let alone an iPhone.
WOW this is a bit stereotypical isn't it... but....

What I know from experience, each store offer stuff that are limited to that region. For instance I was shocked initially when whatsapp was not available in the St. Kitts-Nevis store (although on BB that's not an issue). So some might not find signing up through the SKN store profitable.

I think for Apple is just a way of making sure their products/services are covered. It a pity though that there is a separation from what can be had in the US store versus the SKN store.

Foxy
Foxykhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:12 PM   #85
BIRDinho
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
That sucks man.
Any idea why electronics is so expensive in Brazil?
The tax on imported items is insane. Even with iPad/iPhone assembly plants in brazil, prices are still astronomical. Car prices are increased 35% as well.
BIRDinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:54 PM   #86
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Yayy, For Nigeria
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #87
Ramonn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTubeReturns View Post
but finally we have iTunes in Israel.
I truly wonder why it took so long.
This is probably the most useless post in this topic.
Ramonn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:53 PM   #88
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
WOW this is a bit stereotypical isn't it... but....
No it is not, it is a fact that there are lots of poor people which can't afford anything more than just surviving, this is a fact.
I have travelled around the world an a (push)bike and live in Indonesia, believe me most people in this world can NOT afford a smart phone.
Have you ever left the US or just watch TV to have an opinion?
Genuine question.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:16 PM   #89
Foxykhat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
No it is not, it is a fact that there are lots of poor people which can't afford anything more than just surviving, this is a fact.
I have travelled around the world an a (push)bike and live in Indonesia, believe me most people in this world can NOT afford a smart phone.
Have you ever left the US or just watch TV to have an opinion?
Genuine question.
I'm not doubting or disputing that there are people the world over that are to poor to afford anything more than surviving. Some of these same people are in the great US of A.

I have not travelled the world over, but I have travelled. And while the disparity is great in a number of lesser developed countries it's kind of wrong to think that there aren't people (albeit) a few that can afford such things, thus the need for a company offering service. I doubt Apple and or any other company did not research the need prior to offering service.

Also I'm not American . I believe my initial post said I was happy to see this offered in St. Kitts and Nevis. We are only 68 Sq miles, and in the Eastern Caribbean, but a large percentage of the population have travelled and have knowledge of these places and this knowledge was not received from tv. And Apple products are huge here. The only issue but most have found work around was some stuff not being available in the SKN market, such necessity as whatsapp.

Foxy
Foxykhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #90
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE.MeSsEnGeR View Post
seriously?
Oh brother...
ThunderSkunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:42 AM   #91
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
I'm not doubting or disputing that there are people the world over that are to poor to afford anything more than surviving. Some of these same people are in the great US of A.

I have not travelled the world over, but I have travelled. And while the disparity is great in a number of lesser developed countries it's kind of wrong to think that there aren't people (albeit) a few that can afford such things, thus the need for a company offering service. I doubt Apple and or any other company did not research the need prior to offering service.

Also I'm not American . I believe my initial post said I was happy to see this offered in St. Kitts and Nevis. We are only 68 Sq miles, and in the Eastern Caribbean, but a large percentage of the population have travelled and have knowledge of these places and this knowledge was not received from tv. And Apple products are huge here. The only issue but most have found work around was some stuff not being available in the SKN market, such necessity as whatsapp.

Foxy
I should have looked that up (thought about it before replying), I assumed (more or less) it was in the States, strange I don't know the place, I am fairly good with were countries and places are.

As for my last post, hope I wasn't sounding harsh.

Here in Indonesia 5% of the population own >80% of the money, Lots of blackberries in the big cities but as soon as you go into the countryside that's gone.
Yes, plenty of people can buy iPhones, even here but this is a country of ~250 M and the amount of smart phones percentage wise is low.
And the initial statement I made could also been read as a little sarcastic or take it with a bit of salt.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:14 AM   #92
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolius View Post
I thought Sealand had everyone beat.
Great find and interesting read, but these characters are not recognized officially as a country by anybody, whereas Vatican City is.

In any case I hope they get an iTunes music store soon:-)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:36 AM   #93
Wildblood
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriebe View Post
When did Russia and Turkey become European? They are definitely on the continental side of Asia. You could say they are part of Eurasia, but definitely not Europe.
It's a strategic business marketing model.
I think Apple cares more about marketing than politics!!..
They are definitely not the only ones to include those countries to european group.
Wildblood is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion