Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S Housing Change

OK I have been given an iPhone 4S in white which is dead but the housing for it is in Mint Condition so what I want to do is convert my Black iPhone to White but thought I could cheat a little by just taking the Main Board out of the White one and putting mine in.

I have watched a few YouTube videos and started taking the white iPhone apart, I have gotten down to the stage where the Main Board is out but before taking my working iPhone apart I have one part from the White iPhone which simply fell out.

If you look at the photo below you will see the small black rubber bit, does anyone know where this should go in the phone? Is it important?

Thumb resize.

I am hoping there is someone here who knows where this should go, its the only thing stopping me from taking my working phone apart
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:00 AM   #2
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Looks like it could be part of the vibration motor housing?
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

The gold prongs screw down to the logic board under the camera housing. If you have the back off & are looking at the phone, you will see a small hole in the top left corner of the logic board.

The little rubber bit, I have no idea. I work at a shop, part time fixing iPhones. I have replaced hundreds of 4/4S screens & this little rubber bit falls out every single time. I have never figured out where it comes from or what it does. I can only assume it helps prevent vibration some place. I've never seen any issues with leaving it out.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

All sorted

I took my working one apart to see where the bits went, the metal part went at the top under the camera and the rubber bit hangs around the Main Board right at the top where one of the flex cables comes over from the back.

My phone is all up and running (in the white housing) I just need to put the broken one back together in my old black housing, guess I will keep it for parts.

Thumb resize.

It actually looks allot harder than it is, you just need to take your time, keep all parts together as you dismantle and also optionally take photos as you take apart so you can see how things go back together
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Greencardman
macrumors 6502

Yep, the rubber part protects the display cables from getting damaged by the sharp edges of the logic board. It fell off for me too. If anyone else has this problem, you can check out the iFixit guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...c+Board/7283/1

The rubber part can be seen in its place on the edge of the logic board in Step 23 covering the top of the white label.

The metal part, if it fell off, is shown in the last step of the same guide. The guide doesn't tell you, but the picture in Step 26 is of a metal part that fell off accidentally, and its not in the correct position in Step 26. The correct placement is shown in Step 23, it goes back on after you've put the logic board back in, and under the screw in Step 23. Its hard to see in the picture since the metal is vertical, but if you put the screw hole of the metal part in the right place it only fits one way.
Greencardman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting