Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Am I right in saying that; now apple have done away with magnets to hold the screen in place, in favour of glue, you will no longer be able to have an apple remote on the front of the 2012 iMac?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I assume this is correct, but I also think I've read that the new marks don't have an IR reciever so I don't think a remote will even work with it! Sad times

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I guess we'll soon wait and see, but just look what they did to the Retina's looks like that's the direction they're going in

jedicurt

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I assume this is correct, but I also think I've read that the new marks don't have an IR reciever so I don't think a remote will even work with it! Sad times

i was curious about that as well. because when i ordered my new iMac, i noticed that the apple remote was no longer an optional accessory to add during checkout

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Not used remote with my previous iMac, but what did the magnets have to do with it? ( just curious!) did they hold the remote too?

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
As aluminium is not magnetic, I guess the magnets are strong enough (and the remote is light enough) to attract the copper in the circuit board.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
In the 'fat' iMac's there are six or so magnets in the bezel that hold the glass/screens to the aluminum body.
How are magnets supposed to hold glass and aluminum together? Both materials aren't magnetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.