Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Im going to copy a bunch of audio files via dropbox to get them on my note 2 so I can use them for notification sounds for phone, text and email alerts. Where do I move or copy them to in order to use them for this? Do I need another app to do this?

Thanks.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I've got mine in the following folder sequence and it works golden:
Media->Audio->Notifications (or Ringtones)

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Just put all your files in a folder, and call it notifications. Doesn't matter where you put the folder. Same goes for Ringtones. That easy.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Depends on the device.

Nexus devices and Samsung utilize ogg files for notifications and store them within the root files. Specifically, System -> Media -> Audio -> then notifications or alarms or ui or ringtones folders for specific sounds. The System -> Media folder is where you will find the boot animation file, keyboard tapping sounds, boot up sound and so on.

You can also install Google Wallet on any device, once you root and gain access to this area of your file system.

P.S. Don't forget you need to alter the owner and permissions of the sound files to match what you replace.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
So if I copy all of my audio files to a folder called notifications and place it in Dropbox, and then access the folder via dropbox on my Note 2, how do I move it to Media->Audio->Notifications (or Ringtones)?

Thanks guys for your help!!!!

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
So if I copy all of my audio files to a folder called notifications and place it in Dropbox, and then access the folder via dropbox on my Note 2, how do I move it to Media->Audio->Notifications (or Ringtones)?

Thanks guys for your help!!!!

Just go to your on board storage or Micro SD card. Then just make a folder called Notifications. Then put your files into this folder. Done, nothing else needed. You don't need to place that Notifications folder in any particular location. I have mine sittinng in: /mnt/sdcard/notifications and for ringtones if have them in /mnt/sdcard/ringtones.
Now if you have an Micro SD card and rather save space on your on board storage, then you can just put the files in /mnt/extSdCard/notifications for notifications and /mnt/extSdCard/Ringtones for ringtones.
BTW, if your uploading the files to your dropbox from your pc, why not just quickly connect your device to your pc and drag and drop the files to your Note 2 at the same time.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I do not have a card yet so I will need to do it on my onboard storage.

1.) How do I get to /mnt/sdcard/notifications? Is there some built in file explorer on the Note2?

2.) I use a Mac, and I have been reading about lots of issues with a Mac connecting to a Note2 so I haven't even tried to connect it yet.

Thanks!

Just go to your on board storage or Micro SD card. Then just make a folder called Notifications. Then put your files into this folder. Done, nothing else needed. You don't need to place that Notifications folder in any particular location. I have mine sittinng in: /mnt/sdcard/notifications and for ringtones if have them in /mnt/sdcard/ringtones.
Now if you have an Micro SD card and rather save space on your on board storage, then you can just put the files in /mnt/extSdCard/notifications for notifications and /mnt/extSdCard/Ringtones for ringtones.
BTW, if your uploading the files to your dropbox from your pc, why not just quickly connect your device to your pc and drag and drop the files to your Note 2 at the same time.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
1.) How do I get to /mnt/sdcard/notifications? Is there some built in file explorer on the Note2?

Go to Apps->My Files (this is the stock file explorer)
Now if you look at top left, you'll see you are now in:
/mnt/sdcard

Last edited:

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for all your help, though I am still a bit confused.

I don't see an option through the built in file explorer to access files in my Dropbox folder.

I select my notifications folder in dropbox and press and hold on it , though there is no copy or move option. I go inside my notifications folder and pick an audio file and long press on it and there is no copy or move option.

How do I get files in Dropbox to the My Files file explorer?

Thanks!

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for all your help, though I am still a bit confused.

I don't see an option through the built in file explorer to access files in my Dropbox folder.

I select my notifications folder in dropbox and press and hold on it , though there is no copy or move option. I go inside my notifications folder and pick an audio file and long press on it and there is no copy or move option.

How do I get files in Dropbox to the My Files file explorer?

Thanks!

export each file one by one or use a file manager that can access dropbox like ES file manager

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.