Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

JB scene essentially dead...?

Pod2g tweeted yesterday that JB is not his focus right now... we've also seen a lot of tweets in the past few months that suggest quite a rift between major "players".

Time to get realistic about a potential 6.1 JB?
isoft7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
drakestan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoft7 View Post
Pod2g tweeted yesterday that JB is not his focus right now... we've also seen a lot of tweets in the past few months that suggest quite a rift between major "players".

We don't need him homie
drakestan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Carlanga
macrumors 601

there is always someone else that comes on jb scene
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4
labman
macrumors 604

A new Phoenix will rise from the ashes, just like Pod2g did when Comex made his exit. And Comex showed up about the time we lost Geohotz. etc etc.. I honestly think we loose these hackers because people bug the crap out of them, Where is my Jailbreak etc etc. It takes all the fun out of it for them. So they move on to school a regular job and chicks allot more gratifying then whiny twitter fans.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Subjugator
macrumors member

People keep saying "there will be someone else". There doesn't have to be someone else. Finding exploits is hard and very time consuming. There has been much less talk about this jailbreak than any other before it. And most of the talk about it is how none of the main people who have done it in the past are working on it now. Seems pretty dead to me...
Subjugator is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:50 PM   #6
srf4real
macrumors 68030

For as long as fourteen year old tech lovers have trouble finding girlfriends... I would not worry. Build the iPhone - they will crack it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I hope the scene is not dead.
Waiting for a superhero to save the day
Applejuiced is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8
labman
macrumors 604

If it's dead then it's Hello Android or Windows 8 for me I've never been a conformist.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjugator View Post
People keep saying "there will be someone else". There doesn't have to be someone else. Finding exploits is hard and very time consuming. There has been much less talk about this jailbreak than any other before it. And most of the talk about it is how none of the main people who have done it in the past are working on it now. Seems pretty dead to me...
Pretty much this.

The fact that a jail break has been published is due to a SECURITY FLAW in iOS.

Apple will patch these as they are discovered - they would be negligent not to as jail breaks aren't the only things these could be used for - malicious software installs being another potential application (and as an aside, there's no reason someone couldn't combine a jailbreak with such software, turning all the machines jailbroken with that particular hack into their own personal botnet).

At some point, it is likely there will not be any security flaws that are exploitable to the extent of being able to circumvent the code-signing imposed by the OS.

Maybe this tipping point is iOS 6? Maybe it will be iOS 7. But the bar is certainly being raised with every new release. If nothing else, they will take longer to be released for each new iOS.
throAU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

There are other people working on it such as musclenerd. It remains to be scene if an untethered jailbreak is ever available for iOS 6 though.
guitarmandp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:38 PM   #11
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

They don't want you knowing they are on the scene. That way they can stay super secrative and work in peace without releasing any exploits until they are finished.
cclloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:40 PM   #12
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
There are other people working on it such as musclenerd. It remains to be scene if an untethered jailbreak is ever available for iOS 6 though.
I'd be happy with a tether jailbreak...
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Pretty close it seems like

Hopefully a jailbreak will be released for the iPhone 5 before everything collapses.

At least now you know the iPhone 5 is one of the most secure mobile devices, stick a strong password on it and as long as there isn't a jailbreak its secure.
acorntoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

Theres also money to be made in jailbreaking. Even though jailbreaks are free, being the guy to crack Apple's latest iOS will give you a lot of leverage in getting a high paying job.
guitarmandp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:57 PM   #15
Qaanol
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
At some point, it is likely there will not be any security flaws that are exploitable to the extent of being able to circumvent the code-signing imposed by the OS.
If I canít sign code to run on my own device, then I donít really own that device.
Qaanol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:11 AM   #16
ixodes
macrumors 601

iOS is too boring, JB will continue to exist, to keep iPhone owners from leaving. Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:31 AM   #17
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.
They're tied to the iphone for more of their operating income than the rest of the lineup combined. That's not necessarily a healthy spot. Obviously they don't want to limit its growth, yet it means they're vulnerable to changes in the phone market, especially in countries that don't rely on subsidized plans.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:20 AM   #18
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
iOS is too boring, JB will continue to exist, to keep iPhone owners from leaving. Apple can't afford to lose customers no matter how big their sales is at the present. Nothing is forever.
I bet if every single jailbreaker switched to android it would have very little effect on Apple
guitarmandp is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:26 AM   #19
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaanol View Post
If I can’t sign code to run on my own device, then I don’t really own that device.
That's a matter of opinion. For some, the device not running unsigned code is a feature.

If you want to sign and run your own code, that will be $99/yr, assuming you have a Mac (which you need to run the development tools anyway). This pays for your code-signing certificate (and renewals) that is used for the code-signing.

And if there is no way to jailbreak new devices, the jailbreak scene will die.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:10 AM   #20
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
And if there is no way to jailbreak new devices, the jailbreak scene will die.
This I completely agree with, although I do think if they can't jailbreak the iPhone 5, people will begin to pay big money for used jailbroken iPhone 4S phones.
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
This I completely agree with, although I do think if they can't jailbreak the iPhone 5, people will begin to pay big money for used jailbroken iPhone 4S phones.
Makes sense. I sold my 4S not knowing or caring if a future JB would come out.

I do not mind being JB free, as I learned to live without it. I am not into the themes and such, I am into the tweaks such as FT over 3G, Lockinfo, and MyWi etc. Do I use these every day? No, but I would like to have them if possible.

I think all these ppl complaining on Twitter just want free apps... which I think is not the reason why we should have a JB.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:47 AM   #22
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
NOoooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoft7 View Post

There will be a jailbreak in time, in time.
rabidz7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
There will be a jailbreak in time, in time.
I agree. Not so much a matter of if, but when.

That said, if the gap in time becomes excessive, I'll likely jump ship to WP8 or Android, unfortunately. Stock iOS is so boring and I don't see iOS 7 changing that anytime soon.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:09 PM   #24
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Being on iPhone since day one I think the scene is dying. Back in the day jailbreaking was the only was to get apps or to unlock the device. It's not just the matter of security exploits and people leaving its about the lack of enthusiasm. These guys work for free hours on end to crack this thing and then next iOS release it's patched again and people complain for JB yet again. I imagine its annoying and I think the cat and mouse game has reached its end.
Diseal3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #25
BrokeTechLover
macrumors regular

If the jailbreak scene dies,even though I have an iP4 I can downgrade back to 5.1.1,,I will most likely go to Windows once the contract is up
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks