Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Kicking myself I didnt get the ipad mini..

Hey guys,

Im kinda kicking myself that i didnt get a 32gb ipad mini. and i settled on a ipad 2 32 gb. I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly. I dont like to carry around too much stuff and the ipad 2 is just too large. Don't get em wrong it's a great media device that since i have gotten it i haven't used my laptop as much to watch movies and surf the net. but you do have to carry it where as the ipad mini could probably fit in my jacket pocket. Im not sure what to do.
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 4s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2
apfeljonas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Return/exchange/sell it for the iPad mini if it does actually fit your needs better.
__________________
MacBook Pro, Late 2011, i5 2.4 GHz iPhone 5 32 GB Black
apfeljonas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
gdeusthewhizkid
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfeljonas View Post
Return/exchange/sell it for the iPad mini if it does actually fit your needs better.
I bought it off a buddy of mines. I think i am going to put it up and sell it. I have a iphone 4 16 gig. That I can put up also...
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 4s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
apfeljonas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
I bought it off a buddy of mines. I think i am going to put it up and sell it. I have a iphone 4 16 gig. That I can put up also...
If they aren't scratched too much or have any damage you should get enough money for them to buy an iPad mini and treat yourself to some new apps, some music and some accessories.
__________________
MacBook Pro, Late 2011, i5 2.4 GHz iPhone 5 32 GB Black
apfeljonas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I just got a Mini to check out my camera photos on the go. I think it will be quite good for that.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfeljonas View Post
Return/exchange/sell it for the iPad mini if it does actually fit your needs better.
THIS

And you use an iPhone to take shots at photo shoots?
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
stuaz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
THIS

And you use an iPhone to take shots at photo shoots?
I dont think they are probably 'serious' photos meant for magazines or anything.
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
gdeusthewhizkid
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
I dont think they are probably 'serious' photos meant for magazines or anything.
not for magazines.. just for behind the scenes shots for instagram and twitter. sometimes models dont want to wait forever for the touched up photos and they like those instant shots sent to their email or imessaged...
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 4s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #9
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Uh, go get yourself a point & shoot. Taking pictures with an iPhone/other smartphone is fine if you need pictures on the go. Taking pictures with an iPad/mini/other tablet is ridiculous. Trust me, people will look at you like you're an idiot if you do that.
ritmomundo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:05 PM   #10
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
Hey guys,

Im kinda kicking myself that i didnt get a 32gb ipad mini. and i settled on a ipad 2 32 gb. I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly. I dont like to carry around too much stuff and the ipad 2 is just too large. Don't get em wrong it's a great media device that since i have gotten it i haven't used my laptop as much to watch movies and surf the net. but you do have to carry it where as the ipad mini could probably fit in my jacket pocket. Im not sure what to do.
Sell the iPad 2 and buy a Sony RX100, or sell your iPhone 4S and ipad 2 and get a higher capacity iPhone. You can also get WiFi enabled cameras that will either uplooad your photos automatically or send them to your phone. The difference being that the photos will be better than the iPhone.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by darngooddesign; Dec 4, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Ashin
macrumors 6502a
 
Ashin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Still can't get an iPad mini for my girlfriend, I ended up getting a Nexus 7 Even happier, my girlfriend is almost going to get one too
Ashin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:09 PM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
I dont think they are probably 'serious' photos meant for magazines or anything.
Yeah I had hoped not but then again, the iPhone does take pretty damn good shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
not for magazines.. just for behind the scenes shots for instagram and twitter. sometimes models dont want to wait forever for the touched up photos and they like those instant shots sent to their email or imessaged...
OH! Well that is good. I say get the mini when you can get your hands on one.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:14 PM   #13
noteple
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Uh, go get yourself a point & shoot. Taking pictures with an iPhone/other smartphone is fine if you need pictures on the go. Taking pictures with an iPad/mini/other tablet is ridiculous. Trust me, people will look at you like you're an idiot if you do that.
On the contrary. Don't hold it up to your head like a camera and nobody thinks your clipboard or tablet is busy taking pictures. With the cover closed and just using the volume button for a shutter I stealthed an entire trade show.
The minis camera is miles above the iPad 2
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #14
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
On the contrary. Don't hold it up to your head like a camera and nobody thinks your clipboard or tablet is busy taking pictures. With the cover closed and just using the volume button for a shutter I stealthed an entire trade show.
The minis camera is miles above the iPad 2
It may seem passable to you, but it's still ridiculous. To avoid embarrassment, you have to go "in stealth mode" to get pictures? Stop being [deleted] and buy a proper camera. The ipad mini camera might be miles above the ipad 2 camera, but both are miles below any crappy P&S. Just try to take a picture in dim lighting.

Last edited by balamw; Dec 4, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: name-calling deleted
ritmomundo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
It may seem passable to you, but it's still ridiculous. To avoid embarrassment, you have to go "in stealth mode" to get pictures? Stop being [deleted] and buy a proper camera. The ipad mini camera might be miles above the ipad 2 camera, but both are miles below any crappy P&S. Just try to take a picture in dim lighting.
Ever hear of the photography phrase "shooting from the hip"? If you are trying to get candid shots you don't hold ANY camera up to your head. You hold it down at your waist, that way no one notices you are taking photos and they don't pose. Of course a real camera with a wide angle lens and good low-light capabilites is best, but if you want to use an iCamera so be it.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by balamw; Dec 4, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: name-calling in quote and response to it deleted
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #16
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
A point & shoot with an eye fi would work great with the Mini.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Uh, go get yourself a point & shoot. Taking pictures with an iPhone/other smartphone is fine if you need pictures on the go. Taking pictures with an iPad/mini/other tablet is ridiculous. Trust me, people will look at you like you're an idiot if you do that.


Only in the USA where you can't take a picture with your $500 tablet. It makes perfect sense you have to go spend another $300 on a P&S camera so that you don't look like an "idiot". I think the cameras on the mini and the ipad 4 is good enough for any photography; why bring another device with you?

It may not be as ergonomic as a camcorder or P&S using an ipad 9.7, but the mini is totally legit.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:08 PM   #18
gdeusthewhizkid
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post


Only in the USA where you can't take a picture with your $500 tablet. It makes perfect sense you have to go spend another $300 on a P&S camera so that you don't look like an "idiot". I think the cameras on the mini and the ipad 4 is good enough for any photography; why bring another device with you?

It may not be as ergonomic as a camcorder or P&S using an ipad 9.7, but the mini is totally legit.
I think you make a great point...
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 4s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
You could still take pics with your 4S, and wirelessly transfer to your iPad. The 4S camera is arguably better, and has a flash.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:20 PM   #20
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
Still can't get an iPad mini for my girlfriend, I ended up getting a Nexus 7 Even happier, my girlfriend is almost going to get one too
No offense, but the Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.
hyteckit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:20 PM   #21
Ashin
macrumors 6502a
 
Ashin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
No offense, but the Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.
No offence but nobody even mentioned buying the iPad Mini solely due to a rear camera

Also, who takes photos with an iPad... you just look like a moron / advertising yourself to get mugged
Ashin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #22
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
No offence but nobody even mentioned buying the iPad Mini solely due to a rear camera

Also, who takes photos with an iPad... you just look like a moron / advertising yourself to get mugged
No offense, but what part of "I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly" don't you understand?

The OP wanted to get an iPad Mini with larger storage to take photos with. The whole thread was about taking photos.

Not sure how the Nexus 7 would fit in this scenario. Care to explain how it would fit in?


The iPhone is more expensive than an iPad, so wouldn't taking photos with an iPhone get you mugged too?

Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 5, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
hyteckit is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:34 PM   #23
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
selling your iphone 4 16G would get you how much?

If it is enough to get ipod touch 5 then get ipod touch 5. Keep the Ipad 2 for home use. Ipod touch has 32G memory, highly portable and same camera quality as mini plus a flash double the memory at slightly cheaper price. Take out your mini to take photo will still look ridiculous.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:25 AM   #24
gdeusthewhizkid
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
No offense, but what part of "I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly" don't you understand?

The OP wanted to get an iPad Mini with larger storage to take photos with. The whole thread was about taking photos.

Not sure how the Nexus 7 would fit in this scenario. Care to explain how it would fit in?


The iPhone is more expensive than an iPad, so wouldn't taking photos with an iPhone get you mugged too?
lol
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 4s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:47 AM   #25
jclardy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just so you know, the iPad mini will fill up much quicker than the iPad 2 when taking photos. iPad 2's rear cam is <1MP versus 5MP on the Mini.

But seriously a P&S would be better in this situation. Larger sensor means less noise (iPhone is 1/2.3" versus 1/1.63" in pretty much all but high end P&S.)

And for those talking about a $300 P&S - for that price you can get a Canon S100 (Bought mine for $229 on sale) which has an even larger sensor and quite a fast lens. Plus zoom if you need it. Not to mention manual controls for if you want something more than just a snapshot.
__________________
Swift Fox Software | Amounts - Expense Tracker | Rocket Chimp | TargetTap Lite | TargetTap
jclardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
OCD kicking in iTunes Store on iPad SilentLoner iOS 7 6 Sep 23, 2013 01:21 AM
I didnt buy an iPad Mini and here is why.... peeaanuut Wasteland 0 Nov 6, 2012 12:30 PM
iPad Mini: Worlds First iPad Mini Black & Slate + iPad Mini SmartCover Unboxing! RiseDarthVader iPad 52 Nov 2, 2012 07:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC