Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesmcnee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
I have a project where each week I make a little playlist. I don't just use the songs from the library but make copies of the songs and then edit those files -- new album name, new track numbers and new artwork.

Now in iTunes 11 ... when I go to playlists and play, eveything is fine. But when I open the album view the songs are in some strange order -- track 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 6. Looking at others of these playlists -- ones I created in iTunes 10 -- the same seems to happen but commercial albums show in track order.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm running iTunes 11.0 (163)

OS X 10.6.8

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't just use the songs from the library but make copies of the songs and then edit those files -- new album name, new track numbers and new artwork.
Why would you do this, instead of simply adding the songs to a new playlist?

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
So the same song, say "Yesterday", can be on a Beatles album as track 1, and an album that you created/named as track 6, and in a playlist as track 3? I'm not sure why that's a problem but if it is you might try adding/changing a letter in the made up album "YesterdaY". I have identical songs on different albums as different numbered tracks (Greatest Hits) though.

jamesmcnee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks guys. This ain't a big deal but either it bugs me or it is a bug.

GGJ -- you ask why I do this. Just for fun. For example if it was your birthday I'd make a playlist of birthday songs. Of course I could send you that playlist. Instead I make a playlist then make copies of all the songs and go in and edit the song info so while the song title and artist are as per the original I would change the album name to "Happy Birthday GGJ" and I would change the artwork to you as a child blowing out the candles on a cake and I'd change the track munbers to correspond to the song order I like. Of course I could send you a playlist but why do something simple when you can do something involved?! :) ... you get the idea.

Big Newt -- from the above you might get the idea. If one of the songs is "Birthday" -- the first cut on the second disk of the Beatles White Album. I might modify the copy so it is still title: "Birthday" Artist: "The Beatles" but now it might be track 4 of 6 on the new album I've created "Happy Birthday GGJ" So I don't change Title or artist but I change the album, track numbers and artwork fields.

The weird thing is when i click on that hypothetical playlist "Happy Birthday GGJ" -- in iTunes 11's playlist view -- the songs are in the track order I have created. But when in album view I click on the album "Happy Birthday GGJ" they play in funny order that doesn't seem to correspond to any original track numbering, alpha, size, ...

Any clearer?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.