Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamC90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Hello All,

New to the forum, does anybody know how to enter cheats in Empire: Total War?

I remember there was a box you had to tick and then press ~ to enter them in Rome Total War but I'm not having any joy on Empire.

Can anyone assist? :D

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello All,

I remember there was a box you had to tick and then press ~ to enter them in Rome Total War but I'm not having any joy on Empire.

The PC version did not have any cheats, in fact even the debug test version was cheat free.

However to help our faithful Total War players ;) we hid some save games in the game data. They are at the beginning of the full campaign but you start with a ton of cash. There are saves for most major countries included.

1.) Right click on the Application and select show package contents.
2.) Open Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data
3.) Copy the empire - gold rush saves.zip to the desktop.
4.) Close the Resources Finder window.
5.) Start the game to the pre game options panel.
6.) Select the "About" tab.
7.) Click on "Open Preferences Folder"
8.) You will see a folder called "AppData" inside you should see a folder called "save_games".
9.) Double click on the "empire - gold rush saves.zip" file a folder called "save_games" will appear.
10) Drag the 19 different save game files from the extracted zip into the save_games folder inside the preferences folder.
11) Start playing Empire. The load menu will now contain lots of save games of the full campaign but starting with huge amounts of cash.

Edwin

Last edited:

GazK

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Hello,
When I click the "Open Preferences Folder" absolutely nothing happens. I purchased the game from the App store for my Macbook Pro. Is there something in permissions I am missing that might cause it to not open up the AppData?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The PC version did not have any cheats, in fact even the debug test version was cheat free.

However to help our faithful Total War players ;) we hid some save games in the game data.

ROFL! You guys really rock. That is funny and at some point I am going to probably think, that is really great for me! ha ha!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello,
When I click the "Open Preferences Folder" absolutely nothing happens. I purchased the game from the App store for my Macbook Pro. Is there something in permissions I am missing that might cause it to not open up the AppData?

Contact support and we can have a look into it. You can open it manually as well as it is just a folder in your user Library. Support can show you how.

Edwin

Mikevictorrome

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Hello everybody

I've got some questions for you.
I recently bought the ETW Gold Edition in te Mac Store.
As you guys told, I used the, more or less, money cheat code you explained. So, I'm able to play ETW with huge amounts of money.

Though, I'd like to have some more cash so I'm able to play without looking for my money balance during gameplay.

Have you got any update on the 'cheat' or are able to get even more money with, I don't know, changing some game data or something in particular?

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!
With kind regards
MikeVictorRomeo

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello everybody

I've got some questions for you.
I recently bought the ETW Gold Edition in te Mac Store.
As you guys told, I used the, more or less, money cheat code you explained. So, I'm able to play ETW with huge amounts of money.

Though, I'd like to have some more cash so I'm able to play without looking for my money balance during gameplay.

Have you got any update on the 'cheat' or are able to get even more money with, I don't know, changing some game data or something in particular?

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!
With kind regards
MikeVictorRomeo

Empire does not have any money cheats, not even the debug version of the game for development has test cheats. The only thing we have is a save game that starts you off with lots of crash (aka the Gold Rush saves).

On the PC someone came up with a save game editor that kinda worked but on the Mac the only cheat is the one we posted on our Facebook page.

I also wrote a mod so you can play as the non playable factions (we cannot offer support if you are modding) but it does work.

Edwin

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Hello All,

There are no official cheats. But mods can do what you describe and make the game more entertaining after already played through once. I like to make a elite unit that owns with like 20 people. However it should be noted I'm playing shogun and not empire.

wolkcubxilef

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Hi there.
Ive got as far as the second data file but cannot see any zip files to do with gold rush saves or anything even remotely close to that. Its not there!

Have I missed something?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi there.
Ive got as far as the second data file but cannot see any zip files to do with gold rush saves or anything even remotely close to that. Its not there!

Have I missed something?

You need to have the Mac copy.

If you do then the zip is in the data for Digital and AppStore versions. The DVD version the save file is hidden on the second DVD. I know all versions have the file hidden away as I put it there personally :)

I wrote a script for people who got confused with the manual process.

http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/temp/EmpireGoldRushv2.zip

Just download the zip file then run the .command file. You should right click and select "Open" from the contextual menu when running it to avoid gatekeeper blocking it. The reason Gatekeeper blocks it is it is a shell script and shell scripts can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Feel free to open it in a text editor it's fully documented.

Edwin

Last edited:

messithegreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012

Just download the zip file then run the .command file.

Edwin[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the script, but i can not access it through any of my browsers. I hope it is I who am making the simple mistake. Not having any luck with this or follow the directions to "show package contents", any help would be great!
Thanks

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Just download the zip file then run the .command file.

Edwin

Thank you for the script, but i can not access it through any of my browsers. I hope it is I who am making the simple mistake. Not having any luck with this or follow the directions to "show package contents", any help would be great!
Thanks[/QUOTE]

One of our servers that hosts the temp files went down on Sunday, link should be up and running by the time you read this post.

As for "Show Package Contents" it is in the contextual menu when you right click on the App in the Finder.

Edwin

tinytim20

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
edddeduck i cant find the pregame options panel could you discribe what it looks like or how to get there sorry im so lame

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
edddeduck i cant find the pregame options panel could you discribe what it looks like or how to get there sorry im so lame

It's the first thing that appears when you double click on Empire. It's a window called Empire Options. You should recognise it as it has the big blue Play button you press to start playing. :)

tinytim20

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
It's the first thing that appears when you double click on Empire. It's a window called Empire Options. You should recognise it as it has the big blue Play button you press to start playing. :)

when my game starts it shows a blue screen that shows empire total war gold edition and says things like this uses speed tree and other things but i dont have a big blue button to press. can i still use the gold rush saves?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
when my game starts it shows a blue screen that shows empire total war gold edition and says things like this uses speed tree and other things but i dont have a big blue button to press. can i still use the gold rush saves?

Just checking you are using the Mac release right? The first thing that appears when you launch any Feral ported game is an options panel that allows you to change resolutions, contact support, select advanced options and much more. You then hit the blue Play button (bottom right) to enter full screen and start playing.

po3mone

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
i bought the game in apple store as a download but no window pops up when i double click it just goes straight into the game menus and the is no about tab i also tried to install it manually in user's/shared/feral interactive/empire total war but the loads do not come out when i start the game.

can any body help me out ?

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
i wonder if there are gold rush saves for other total war games. I'd be interested in playing one of the shogun II campaigns with that feature.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
i wonder if there are gold rush saves for other total war games. I'd be interested in playing one of the shogun II campaigns with that feature.

We made the gold rush saves for the Mac version of Empire when we ported the game as a special Mac only extra. Shogun 2 is not on the Mac right now so Gold Rush saves don't exist.

I am sure Shogun cheats exist on the PC using some mods although I don't know how easy it will be.

morpheuzlal

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
USING cheat engine for MAC

Hi!! Just wanted to say that there is now Cheat Engine for Mac.

Just download it here, and you can now cheat the game as it was a Windows Machine.

Hope this can help anyone

The link for cheat engine is this: http://cheatengine.org/

teddyflynn1220

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
You need to have the Mac copy.

If you do then the zip is in the data for Digital and AppStore versions. The DVD version the save file is hidden on the second DVD. I know all versions have the file hidden away as I put it there personally :)

Just download the zip file then run the .command file. You should right click and select "Open" from the contextual menu when running it to avoid gatekeeper blocking it. The reason Gatekeeper blocks it is it is a shell script and shell scripts can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Feel free to open it in a text editor it's fully documented.

Edwin

Any chance these would be available on long campaign modes or harder difficulty

philmorton

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020

However to help our faithful Total War players ;) we hid some save games in the game data. They are at the beginning of the full campaign but you start with a ton of cash. There are saves for most major countries included.

1.) Right click on the Application and select show package contents.
2.) Open Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data
3.) Copy the empire - gold rush saves.zip to the desktop.
4.) Close the Resources Finder window.
5.) Start the game to the pre game options panel.
6.) Select the "About" tab.
7.) Click on "Open Preferences Folder"
8.) You will see a folder called "AppData" inside you should see a folder called "save_games".
9.) Double click on the "empire - gold rush saves.zip" file a folder called "save_games" will appear.
10) Drag the 19 different save game files from the extracted zip into the save_games folder inside the preferences folder.
11) Start playing Empire. The load menu will now contain lots of save games of the full campaign but starting with huge amounts of cash.

Edwin

Just updating this thread for future reference, as the game has been updated in the last year or so and these instructions aren't accurate any more.

This is how you do this now:

1. Download the game from the Mac App Store.
  2. Right click on the Application and select show package contents.
  3. Open Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data
  4. Copy the empire - gold rush saves.zip to the desktop.
  5. Unzip/expand the zip file.
  6. Copy the save game files to /Users/[your username]/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.empire/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Empire Total War/AppData/save_games If this folder does not exist yet, start a campaign and save the game so that save games have a place to live.
  7. Open Empire and you'll see the saves there.
I have tested this on my MacBook Air M1 (2020) running Big Sur.

SweetApplePie

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Hi,

Just updating this thread for future reference, as the game has been updated in the last year or so and these instructions aren't accurate any more.

This is how you do this now:

1. Download the game from the Mac App Store.
  2. Right click on the Application and select show package contents.
  3. Open Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data
  4. Copy the empire - gold rush saves.zip to the desktop.
  5. Unzip/expand the zip file.
  6. Copy the save game files to /Users/[your username]/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.empire/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Empire Total War/AppData/save_games If this folder does not exist yet, start a campaign and save the game so that save games have a place to live.
  7. Open Empire and you'll see the saves there.
I have tested this on my MacBook Air M1 (2020) running Big Sur.
i

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.