Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I just set up a Mac Mini running Plex, and so far it's great.

I have two Apple TV remotes -- is it possible to pair them individually: one for ATV, the other for the Mac? I've paired one with the Mac, but unfortunately it controls the ATV too, so whenever I try to control the Mac, I wake up the ATV too.

If it's not possible, what other options are there? I was looking into the Hippo Remote light, but it is not quite as good as a replacement of a dedicated remote.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you have a smartphone, you can get the Plex app for mobile devices. I use it with my iPhone as a remote. It works better than the Apple remote, because it doesn't need line of sight and has a much better range.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
pairing only affects the receiver, not the remote.
if you have an unpaired receiver, it will listen to all remotes.

so you need to pair the aTV with it's remote. and it will ignore the one from the mac.

------
a basic explanation of how pairing works.

apple remotes have a code 1-255
when you press a key, they send the key and the code so "Play 155"

unpaired receivers listen to all codes.
paired receivers only listen to the one specific code.

if you happened to get 2 remotes with the same ID you can change it by holding MENU and CENTER button for about 5 seconds.

a longer explanation of how it all works here

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The remote app is FAR superior to the fiddly little silver remotes...I have it on both my iphone and my iPad...With the supplied device, it's all too easy to hit the wrong button, but the app gives you the entire screen to work with..I don't even use my remote now...It's a free download for ipad or iPhone in the iTunes store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.