Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Open Ports - What's using them?

Hi!

Just did a port scan from network utilities. And there are a few I'm not sure whats doing. I've used the Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple devices as a reference.

These are my open ports:
Code:
	 Open TCP Port: 	983
	 Open TCP Port: 	993    		imaps
	 Open TCP Port: 	1017
	 Open TCP Port: 	1021   		exp1
	 Open TCP Port: 	17500
Anyone got an idea of whats using them? Thanks!

Useful links:
__________________
iMac i7 3.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 256 SSD | MBA 2011 i5 1.7 GHz, 4 GB Ram | Mini i7 2.0 GHz, 4 GB Ram, RAID 0 | iPad 2 16 GB | iPhone 5 16 GB | ATV 3
Remember to quote orignal post.
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKemp View Post
Hi!

Just did a port scan from network utilities. And there are a few I'm not sure whats doing. I've used the Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple devices as a reference.

These are my open ports:
Code:
	 Open TCP Port: 	983
	 Open TCP Port: 	993    		imaps
	 Open TCP Port: 	1017
	 Open TCP Port: 	1021   		exp1
	 Open TCP Port: 	17500
Anyone got an idea of whats using them? Thanks!

Useful links:
Did you try Google?
17500 seems to be dropbox. 993 is IMAP, email it would seem.
Not sure about the others but I'm sure Google can find them.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
PaulKemp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
Did you try Google?
17500 seems to be dropbox. 993 is IMAP, email it would seem.
Not sure about the others but I'm sure Google can find them.
Yes I tried google, googling it is way easier than posting a forum post.

I was after the red ones, even though I did not specify that.
__________________
iMac i7 3.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 256 SSD | MBA 2011 i5 1.7 GHz, 4 GB Ram | Mini i7 2.0 GHz, 4 GB Ram, RAID 0 | iPad 2 16 GB | iPhone 5 16 GB | ATV 3
Remember to quote orignal post.
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKemp View Post
Yes I tried google, googling it is way easier than posting a forum post.

I was after the red ones, even though I did not specify that.
Oh ok. I just Googled the non-red ones
I'll search on the others.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:02 AM   #5
switon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
RE: /etc/services...

Hi,

The file "/etc/services" lists the ports/protocols that your computer may be using via configuration in various plists.

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
PaulKemp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
Oh ok. I just Googled the non-red ones
I'll search on the others.
Thanks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by switon View Post
Hi,

The file "/etc/services" lists the ports/protocols that your computer may be using via configuration in various plists.

Regards,
Switon
Nice! The kind of tips I was looking for. Will check out
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:26 PM   #7
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
I forgot to post. I could not find useful information.
I would look into switon's hint about /etc/services
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
open, os x mountain lion, ports

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't screenshot, open Skype, delete files, open itunes.... delab99 OS X 12 Dec 19, 2013 01:45 PM
IPFW what's the minimum set of required open ports/rules (config from Lion bad) macncrumors OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 24, 2013 10:23 AM
How to Open Ports? campingsk8er Mac Basics and Help 1 Jul 12, 2013 08:50 AM
Security: open ports? Firewall? Retired Cat iOS 6 2 Jul 10, 2013 10:19 PM
Would two simultaneously open ethernet ports pose a security risk? jcbonifacio1 Mac Pro 10 Jun 19, 2012 05:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC